Some thoughts about forum responses

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I find digging up old stuff, best forgotten,  just perpetuates the discord.  Why state the same thing over and over again when it was a dead issue a few months ago.

It's like fighting with that person who dredges up every last thing they're mad about that has nothing whatsoever to do with the current discussion.  It's unproductive.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

'd use it in a "knock it off, you're being ridiculous" sort of way, far more frequently than I use the reactions now, because it's super fitting for some :D 

I don't think it's ridiculous.  People were agreeing it was okay for him to kill the joy of that person's work for pages and pages and pages.  It wasn't okay.  Her work is gorgeous and full of joy which his does not have.  

I just finally had enough of the hypocrisy of it all and said it out loud.  

I might be overly irritable from the coronavirus shot and that's why it's coming out now.  But, it's more than that, I just really felt I needed to stand up to a bully who was being ridiculous.  

Edited by FairreLilette

23 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I find digging up old stuff, best forgotten,  just perpetuates the discord.  Why state the same thing over and over again when it was a dead issue a few months ago.

It's like fighting with that person who dredges up every last thing they're mad about that has nothing whatsoever to do with the current discussion.  It's unproductive.

This ^^  because it just can't be stated enough.  The behavior is so common around here, especially for a few individuals.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't think it's ridiculous.  People were agreeing it was okay for him to kill the joy of that person's work for pages and pages and pages.  It wasn't okay.  Her work is gorgeous and full of joy which his does not have.  

I might be overly irritable from the coronavirus shot and that's why it's coming out now.  But, it's more than that, I just really felt I needed to stand up to a bully who was being ridiculous.  

Oh my

I had and have nothing, whatsoever, to do with any of that, and don't particularly care about it either. Nothing I said had anything to do with it.

I agree with Rowan, bringing some things up every single chance one gets is rarely ever productive. Sometimes (most of the time) beating a long dead horse is a bad idea. Sometime discussing an issue while it's going on can lead to a better discussion of a problem, but in some cases, it's really, really not productive and can only lead to further distance one's self from the audience which they're trying to address (and make things much worse). It tends to give off a really bad impression too, which, again, will only further complicate things.

Some balls are just best left rolling alone til they disappear :D 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've been trying to come up with something crabby to say in this thread but I seem to be having some technical difficulties. Someone is going to be so disappointed in me. 😞

I'm getting crabby now..hehehe

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

People were agreeing it was okay for him to kill the joy of that person's work for pages and pages and pages.  It wasn't okay.  Her work is gorgeous and full of joy which his does not have.  

Whenever someone has a pronounced style and they're enthused about it, this does seem to bring criticism easily.  Not talking only about the forum here.  It's a kind of sick joy experienced by the attacker, hitting at the heart of someone.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Some balls are just best left rolling alone til they disappear :D

While I appreciate and understand every thing you shared...this line I cannot agree with.  I think it's better for me to mute the person because I've had enough.  It just happens that way sometimes.  The straw thing...it's the last straw for me for someone.  But, I still wish we could mute and they cannot respond to our posts.

As for cabin-fever, I thought the forum was worse well over a year or so ago.  It's been rather okay for a while expect for the odd troll weekend type of posts which are, in themselves, ridiculously, obviously trollish.

As for irritability, cut them some slack.  Most of the time I do.  I rarely speak up.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:
1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

"Oh, him again. I think it's time to go for a walk." 

This was something I mentioned in passing in another thread, the problem for many people is that they might not be able to do that because of things like lockdown, curfew, circumstances, etc.

There's all sorts of problems with the advice to "get up from the computer and walk around". Somebody in a wheelchair? Somebody in an apartment block at two in the morning?

That's a very good point. If it helps, think of "time to go for a walk" as a metaphor for "find something else to do."  Chill out.  Back off. Turn the computer off. The point is, it's time to disengage instead of giving in to your quick-fire reflexes.

There are all sorts of motivational signs you could post around your computer -- again, metaphorically:

"Don't invite a pig to mud wrestle. It only gets you both dirty and the pig loves it."

"Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

"The only thing more dangerous than a rabid rat is a cornered rabid rat."

"Scorched earth tactics always end the same way. Everybody starves."

"There is no 'last word' except 'Amen'."

Or, as my mother used to say ....

"You're better than that.  Consider the source.  Now, go to your room."

I kind of miss Mom.

• Like 4

I mean, its been a pretty eventful year. Is it really surprising it spilled over into the forum? It went from "Imma take these two weeks off, make some bread and watch this show called Tiger King..." to the world seeming like it was on fire, and in some places...it was.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Don't invite a pig to mud wrestle. It only gets you both dirty and the pig loves it."

"Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

It was ridiculous though that someone is "preaching" to me to think of the poor addicted "gambling" people with Gachas and that we are atrocious if we don't, when they need to just deal with the log in their own eye period, among other things.   To this I can roll eyes...there are many dopamine addictions in SL beyond Gachas.

Edited by FairreLilette

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You don't have to read a response nor respond back to someone you've blocked.  FYI

Except when someone else quotes them and you don't realize you are reading a quoted blocked post until it's too late and AAAAAAAUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!

5wFUthd.gif?noredirect

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.