Animated Gifs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiyas. I'm running Firestorm and so I hope I have this topic in the right place.

I'm so tired of teleporting in to a great place only to find I have to see animated Gifs of sex on every wall. I'm over 18 but my parents would not think too much of those gifs if they should walk past my room and see them. Is there a way i can turn them off?

I don't think there is a way to automatically disable these, not to mention doing so would break a other content such as prim water that is animated.

You can try doing the following:

1. To temporarily remove a object from your view, right click and select derender.
  2. To permanently remove a object from your view, right click and choose derender + blacklist.
Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KipsleyAnne said:

Hiyas. I'm running Firestorm and so I hope I have this topic in the right place.

I'm so tired of teleporting in to a great place only to find I have to see animated Gifs of sex on every wall. I'm over 18 but my parents would not think too much of those gifs if they should walk past my room and see them. Is there a way i can turn them off?

lame answer but easy .. go to general places. Adjust your viewer settings.
IF those are there, report the owner.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

lame answer but easy .. go to general places. Adjust your viewer settings.
IF those are there, report the owner.

This^^^^.  It's really the only answer.  Most moderate places won't have these either although a few might.  

Stop going to sex regions.

• Like 3

In SL, the animated images might be scripted prims and not gifs. But if you are going to a place with those kinds of moving images you are likely to see non-moving images, avatars, and furniture that your parents might find questionable. I'd get a privacy screen for your monitor. If your parents see the screen from an angle it will appear all black. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

I don't think there is a way to automatically disable these, not to mention doing so would break a other content such as prim water that is animated.

Just for completeness: they can be made to not animate, by disabling Develop / Rendering / Animation Textures (same as the Debug setting "AnimateTextures") but that apparently only freezes the animation on a single frame and would indeed defeat other cool animated texture effects. So yeah: Try not to go where the offending content is likely to appear, rather than trying to disable the medium that presents it.

(Actually, Bree's post brought to mind the possibility that the content actually could be animated gifs presented on web media, rather than an animated texture, so that would be a whole different medium.)

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

In SL, the animated images might be scripted prims and not gifs. But if you are going to a place with those kinds of moving images you are likely to see non-moving images, avatars, and furniture that your parents might find questionable. I'd get a privacy screen for your monitor. If your parents see the screen from an angle it will appear all black. 

Some doctors use those on their monitors. My man had one on his comp in his train room --- I asked why.  He said "train pr0n!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.