Why are new Linden Homes CLICKY

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

PQg70f9.png

The entire structure is clickable. This is obnoxious.

I know technically why it's clicky. There is a script in the root prim, this is fine.

The non interactive parts of the house need the "Click to"' option set to "None". Edit floater, General Tab.

This affects Stilt homes, Log cabins & Victorian homes. Every varient.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

PQg70f9.png

The entire structure is clickable. This is obnoxious.

I know technically why it's clicky. There is a script in the root prim, this is fine.

The non interactive parts of the house need the "Click to"' option set to "None". Edit floater, General Tab.

This affects Stilt homes, Log cabins & Victorian homes. Every varient.

It all has something to do with decreasing the scripts needed and overall script performance.  It came into being starting with the Victorian homes, so it isn't present in the Traditionals, Houseboats, or Campers.  Quartz Mole gave a lengthy explanation in one of the Threads in this section.

Yes, I get all of that ... however that doesn't mean every element in the linkset needs to be "touchable". That should be reserved for elements that respond in some immediate way.

Under no circumstances should a Linden home (or any other Linden product) be allowed to break the default behavior of the Linden's own client!!

It doesn't have to be done this way.

• Like 1

CLICK_ACTION_NONE is the same value as CLICK_ACTION_DEFAULT ( =0 ) and would pass touches thru to the root prim script

a few weeks ago Linden introduced CLICK_ACTION_DISABLED ( =8 ) which doesn't do the touch pass thru

i also think that now when we set the prim in the Edit tool to Click action: None, then it sets it to the new value CLICK_ACTION_DISABLED

am sure that this has been done in response to the problem identified in the Bellissaria project (as you have noticed)

there was quite a lot of discussion about this on here back when the newer Linden Homes went to root prim script

most likely the Moles will start setting this property (as you suggest) in their new builds going forward. They may go back and do the other previous homes, dunno, and if so then probably only as part of some update programme

wiki about CLICK_ACTION_DISABLED here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetClickAction

Edited by Mollymews
is the
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yes, I get all of that ... however that doesn't mean every element in the linkset needs to be "touchable". That should be reserved for elements that respond in some immediate way.

I'm not a fan of it but I went round the discussion with the moles on this twice and was satisfied with the answer.

Yes I can make items in a linkset tnot respond to touch IF the root prim does NOT respond to touch. But I guess things got weird with responsiveness and physics when that was tried.

In the end I bought a set of mesh rugs that I linked together - resulting in a nice visual for very low land impact. A visual I would have wanted anyway (and in fact ended up adding to my older houseboats that doesn't have this tough issue).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mollymews said:

most likely the Moles will start setting this property (as you suggest) in their new builds going forward. They may go back and do the other previous homes, dunno, and if so then probably only as part of some update programme

They could just refresh the models in the rez boxes and walk away, leave it up to the user to get out a new copy of the house to update.

I would happily donate (as in for free) my own time to do this (and test / debug / fix all and any issues arising from such a change), show me where to sign.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

They could just refresh the models in the rez boxes and walk away, leave it up to the user to get out a new copy of the house to update

i think it was Quartz Mole who said a little while ago on here that the Moles have been evolving the buildings rezzing system as the Belli project has gone along. Am not sure exactly what the details are but going off what has been said about it, I think the system can replace items in the mailbox rezzers (or maybe replace the rezzers) on a region from a central console. And I think (again from what I can surmise) that is used at this moment during the build-out stage, to replace buildings that fail Q&A

am not sure if this capability has been backward extended to the existing homes occupied by residents yet. I suppose that it might be one day as part of some formal upgrade programme. I dunno tho exactly

Edited by Mollymews
()
  • Like 2

The rear deck on Havana Stilt home dumps debug information into local chat when clicked ... 

[06:28] LH - Stilt Homes - House 1 - Havana OW -V2.0: Link Name = LH - Stilt Homes - House 1 - Havana OW -V2.0
[06:28] LH - Stilt Homes - House 1 - Havana OW -V2.0: Local Pos = <-16.792358, -0.001144, -7.540238>
[06:28] LH - Stilt Homes - House 1 - Havana OW -V2.0: Local Rot = <0.000000, 0.000000, -0.707107, -0.707107>

Adding this to the list of things I am offering to volunteer my time to fix.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elena Core said:

It might be just me, but I don't think it is a big issue. I have had all house models, and one can perfectly live with the clicking option

I agree. None of this is of any bother to me whatsoever. It is just not important in the big scheme of things.

My advice: If you don't like what the homes do when clicked, then don't click them. 🙄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

My advice: If you don't like what the homes do when clicked, then don't click them. 🙄

The default method of movement shipped with the Linden Viewer is based around dragging the screen to pan and clicking on the ground to move. I presume you and most others disable this and use WASD, arrow keys, etc.

Don't presume everyone does or that everyone is comfortable or able to use your preferred control scheme / work around.

Accessibility & usability matter. A consistent user experience is about the lowest the bar can be set.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The default method of movement shipped with the Linden Viewer is based around dragging the screen to pan and clicking on the ground to move. I presume you and most others disable this and use WASD, arrow keys, etc.

Don't presume everyone does or that everyone is comfortable or able to use your preferred control scheme / work around.

Accessibility & usability matter. A consistent user experience is about the lowest the bar can be set.

Accessibility is not disabled in the Linden homes, so that's not a valid point.

Don't imply that I don't care about accessibility. That's a straw man argument. If you think you can do better than the Moles, send your resume to Patch or Derrick. 

• Like 1

Click to move and key movement are both standard methods in any 3D world environment. And both are standard in SL. So making buildings that disable one of the standard methods of movement is... unfortunate.

I get why they did it, but it's not a minor issue.

If setting a prim to have click action none is newer than these homes (I thought it was older, guess I was wrong there) - then that would mean we may have a fix. A fix for a major usability issue like this is one that should be implemented.

This applies to victorian, log, and stilt homes, and I suspect whatever else going forward.

unfortunately Linden in introducing CLICK_ACTION_DISABLED have broken single-click move to point and double-click teleport to point. CLICK_ACTION_DISABLED does exactly what it suggests, it disables everything including move to point

CLICK_ACTION_DEFAULT and CLICK_ACTION_NONE allows move/teleport to point but also passes touches to root prim script. The historic fix for this is llPassTouches(PASS_NEVER) however this requires a script in every prim, which defeats what the Moles are wanting to do with the Linden Homes

what is needed is CLICK_ACTION_PASS_NEVER which allows move to point and doesn't pass touches or collisions

Edited by Mollymews
typs
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 10:38 PM, Mollymews said:

unfortunately Linden in introducing CLICK_ACTION_DISABLED have broken single-click move to point and double-click teleport to point. CLICK_ACTION_DISABLED does exactly what it suggests, it disables everything including move to point

Thanks for that clarification. This explains why the "fix" wasn't applied to the homes.

Is this the same thing as when I edit a prim and under 'Physics Shape Type' pick 'none'?

10deabfe5d14bd9281710307f2fc95ae.png

EDIT: Apparently not. I've got the rugs in my stilt home set this way, and I can still click to walk to a spot on them and double click to TP onto them.

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

EDIT: Apparently not. I've got the rugs in my stilt home set this way, and I can still click to walk to a spot on them and double click to TP onto them.

not sure why your results are different to mine

on Plum sandbox region then when change Edit property click action to None then it disables move/teleport to point. I assume CLICK_ACTION_DISABLED. Which also happens when we script this

i have tested this with both newly minted prims and with existing rugs in my inventory that were originally created as CLICK_ACTION_DEFAULT

edit add: My tests are done using the latest Linden viewer. Am not sure if this happens with TPVs yet

Edited by Mollymews

18 hours ago, Mollymews said:

not sure why your results are different to mine

I think I'm talking about the wrong thing.

I was talking about setting the physics type to 'none. But not the touch to none. I just remembered these are different. So... I think I've been thinking of the wrong thing here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.