Are you trying to watch the video called The History of Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If anyone is trying to watch the video called The History of Second Life I posted here. It doesn't show for me on Internet Explorer but it does show for me on Google Chrome. If anyone can't see the video on Internet Explorer I would suggest to try using  Google Chrome to watch the video

3 minutes ago, Guku Aabye said:

If anyone is trying to watch the video called The History of Second Life I posted here. It doesn't show for me on Internet Explorer but it does show for me on Google Chrome. If anyone can't see the video on Internet Explorer I would suggest to try using  Google Chrome to watch the video

Try Microsoft Edge. Works fine for me on it.

10 minutes ago, Guku Aabye said:

Oh ok TY. Did you watch The History of Second Life video i posted here?

I started to watch it, but it was one that I've seen before.

BTW -- Why did you start a new thread for this rather than just adding all of these comments to your original Video thread?

Video thread that the OP is referring to:

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

If it's the vid I think it is I tried to watch it but without Closed Captioning, I have an extremely difficult time distinguishing one English word from the next when someone has an accent. Sadly, the heavier the accent the harder it is for me to understand. It's the one reason I don't like masks (besides the fact they make my face sweat and makes an old lady's face break out! AUGH!). I can't read lips! AUGH!

Ever try reading lips on an SL avatar? 🤭

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If it's the vid I think it is I tried to watch it but without Closed Captioning, I have an extremely difficult time distinguishing one English word from the next when someone has an accent. Sadly, the heavier the accent the harder it is for me to understand. It's the one reason I don't like masks (besides the fact they make my face sweat and makes an old lady's face break out! AUGH!). I can't read lips! AUGH!

Ever try reading lips on an SL avatar? 🤭

You've likely seen it anyway.  It is just a repost of the video that Andrew Linden made back in 2001 when it was still called LindenWorld.  Mostly him flying around shooting things and blowing things up.

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You've likely seen it anyway.  It is just a repost of the video that Andrew Linden made back in 2001 when it was still called LindenWorld.  Mostly him flying around shooting things and blowing things up.

Nope. That's not the one I tried to watch a couple of days ago. This is the one I tried to watch. I was wrong about the CC (or it was just lagging) since it appears to be working. Now that I've looked, I stopped watching it because the narration was a bit too dry and the pacing was too slow.  I'll try watching it again another day when I'm in a different frame of mind.

It's a sad fact of life that Americans have no tolerance for accents although their own accents are incomprehensible to anyone who learned English properly. Sadly, but factually, to succeed in the English-language dominated world of YouTube you probably have to get a voice-over. Putting in a running sub-text would be helpful, too, lots of people do that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's a sad fact of life that Americans have no tolerance for accents although their own accents are incomprehensible to anyone who learned English properly. Sadly, but factually, to succeed in the English-language dominated world of YouTube you probably have to get a voice-over. Putting in a running sub-text would be helpful, too, lots of people do that.

My problem is due to hearing loss not Americans or their accents or lack of accents. ffs What is wrong with you? Rhetorical question. 

Edit: Here, maybe this will help https://www.healthyhearing.com/report/52448-Understanding-high-frequency-hearing-loss

and this https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/symptoms-causes/syc-20350156

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 6

It's interesting to know this is that's what makes the highest level of a language, when I made the history of Second Life video it was supposed to be in French only my main language, I decided to make it available in English, because all the informations I gathered were originally in English, I spoke slowly the entire script so that people who learned English who are non native would understand clearly and its the case. If you have hearing issues my French tone would be a nightmare for you I totally understand, the CC are available and you can also select the speed of the video if its too slow, hopefully one day this content will be done by an American/British/Australian its such a good topic :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bollycoco Dallas said:

It's interesting to know this is that's what makes the highest level of a language, when I made the history of Second Life video it was supposed to be in French only my main language, I decided to make it available in English, because all the informations I gathered were originally in English, I spoke slowly the entire script so that people who learned English who are non native would understand clearly and its the case. If you have hearing issues my French tone would be a nightmare for you I totally understand, the CC are available and you can also select the speed of the video if its too slow, hopefully one day this content will be done by an American/British/Australian its such a good topic :) 

Thank you. That was very kind and thoughtful of you. 🤗

Perhaps I might suggest finding a resident or two that speaks English, Spanish, etc and offer them a modest fee (or other compensation) for doing voice over translations? 🤔

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 10:57 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I started to watch it, but it was one that I've seen before.

BTW -- Why did you start a new thread for this rather than just adding all of these comments to your original Video thread?

Video thread that the OP is referring to:

Oh because I was trying to respond to the Confused icons that people put and I couldn't find the respond to it. I mean if you go to the link on Internet Explorer and come to the Second Life Forums. You will just see a blank space of a video called  The History of Second Life and it will not be there. I am not sure if the people that put the Confused icons under the video went on the Internet Explorer to watch the video and the video isn't there. But you can watch it on Google Chrome and you can see the video there. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.