CPU Hardware Back Doors

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is my current hardware, and OS:

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor (1786.88 MHz)
Memory: 32135 MB
OS Version: Linux 4.15.0-136-lowlatency #140-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 28 06:26:37 UTC 2021 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 11264 MB

OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.102.04

I have been told that, for SL at least, my CPU is not well matched with my graphics card in that it is not powerful enough to make full use of it. I am looking at updating my hardware to a CPU that can. But when I looked at more recent CPUs on the market I came across these warnings about back doors that are embedded in the CPU's hardware level:

This article is about a way to disable the Intels' Management Engine:

https://beinglibertarian.com/disable-intel-backdoor-courtesy-nsa/

It also says it is a risky thing to do.

There is work I do that requires a secure computer. It is therefore an unacceptable risk to have anything like Intel's Management Engine, or AMD's "Secure Processor", in my CPU.  Are there any alternative CPUs that will make full use of my graphics card, and is supported by Ubuntu?

• Haha 1

I recently bought a Ryzen 5 3600. For one thing, I already had a Ryzen 3 1300x and an MSI B450 motherboard. I updated the BIOS on the motherboard to accept the Zen 2 chips. The second thing was that it was available, while newer Zen 3 chips were out of stock. I run Ubuntu, and it has performed perfectly. Really, as long as the kernel is the right version, it should perform equally well on any distro.

Newer Zen CPUs have been designed to avoid the vulnerabilities which plagued older Intel and AMD (and to a lesser extent ARM) processors. Personally, I'd consider AMD's offerings 'safer' than Intel's. While Intel's chips do maintain a single core performance advantage, one might also factor in the cost of replacing a motherboard with each generation they release. All of AMD's Ryzen chips so far have been on the AM4 socket, making it possible to upgrade the CPU as long as the motherboard manufacturer has released a BIOS update for it. For example, my MSI B450 motherboard had a BIOS update for the Zen 3 chips last month, not that I need it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mistythunder said:

There is work I do that requires a secure computer. It is therefore an unacceptable risk to have anything like Intel's Management Engine, or AMD's "Secure Processor", in my CPU.

I would use two computers, one for SL and one that was not connected to the internet for the secure work.

It is not possible to do the secure work offline because the security is needed during cryptocurrency trading. I can put my wallet in a flash drive, but I would still have to accesses it during trading.

I was asking about any processor including Intel, and AMD, that have secure versions. I today I became aware there are vendors such as System76 that offer their systems with ME turned off. I am also looking at the Zen processor series. Thank you KjartanEno for the Zen processor tip.

I was told my CPU is not well matched with my graphics card by KjartanEno in this thread:

I was told this again in the In-World group "Firestorm Support English" when I asked about there. Perhaps another place I should be asking is in an Nvidia support group.

Edited by mistythunder

2 hours ago, mistythunder said:

I was told this again in the In-World group "Firestorm Support English" when I asked about there

Some people INSIST that if you have an AMD CPU, you will also "need" AMD graphics. Similarly, there are people that insist that if you have an Intel CPU, you need either Intel or Nvidia graphics.

Both statements are utter nonsense. AMD CPU will with just fine with Nvidia graphics, and Intel processors work just fine with AMD graphics.
The people that try to tell you otherwise are elitists that probably also believe that if you carry a Chanel bag, you also need to wear Chanel N°5 perfume. Do not believe them because there is NO basis for what they say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A well matched CPU/GPU combo varies depending on the use case.

There is no ideal CPU-GPU combo for SL.

AMD CPU's represent great value, SL would like the fastest one you can afford (fastest, not most cores). Nvidia GPU's, if you can buy one, are nice for SL and historically have the best support.

I would advise you splurge on a nice Ryzen 5, X570 motherboard (lots of upgrade options for the future), probably have to buy all new RAM (AMD likes fast ram). Keep the rest and get an SSD if you don't have one already.

Keep your OS and BIOS up to date, avoid reading ghost stories in the tech press.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.