You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Quarantining for a year has a lot of people feeling like a caged animals. This makes me grateful to SL for providing a way to safely leave the house and hit the wide open, never ending road. I enjoy motorcycles, so have been doing a lot of cruising along SL's classic Route 1 and Route 8. Those older roads are often broken though, so I've also been rezzing my bikes in boat rez areas of Bellisseria and exploring SL's newest terrains. So my question: what roads would you recommend for driving (whatever your vehicle)?

Two examples: visit this rez zone in SSPE1168 (wonder what the region's new name will be when the moles are finished building it?) and enjoy driving down the forested dirt roads along SL's new log homes. Great place to practice SL motorcycle steering! And if you enjoy dirt bikes or ATVs, the ocean floor has exactly the same landscape. Go to any boat rez zone like this one in Baxby Gulf and race along the dunes of the ocean floor.

Where are your favorite places to ride?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You can ride next to the train tracks or by the linden roads. The residents tend to build with respect to these travel ways and it can make an interesting trip. I have also tried cutting across the mainland by picking a starting point and an end point several regions away. Its fun going through backyards and avoiding all sorts of barriers along the way. 

• Like 4

Anyone who wants a bit of fun while driving across continents, land and sea, could have a go at the Starchild Rally:-

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cliffoed/46/194/39

The idea of it is to get as far as you can across 4 continents. My best attempt was 5 years ago and I'm still in second place :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 4

If you want a nice long unbroken route you could try the outer circuit of Jeogeot given where i live on that continent if i wish to do that circuit i start at the rezz zone at Cheju go up to where you can turn off to go along the wellington road take the first road on the right off that road or continue straight up to the end of the road i normally turn left do an anti-clockwise loop and go back to Cheju

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. Yes Claireschen, I often ride along Wellington Road - I like to visit several regions in Rieul. I've bookmarked several rez zones along other SL Routes too; I get a real blast exploring the old regions. It's fun when places catch my eye and I pull the bike over to explore, and that's an experience you can't get in SL's newer regions. There are a few gems hidden among the badly dated places, but what I really like is the sense of community that some regions seem to have. The new Linden Homes are cookie cutter developments, like we see scattered all over suburbia in RL. The old regions, for all their problems, had / have real personality.

Having said that, I'm sooo glad that those obnoxious advertising signs, low skyboxes, tall structures, high border walls, region circling backgrounds, etc are not permitted in the new regions. I can understand why places next door to those kinds of nuisances are often abandoned or remain unsold for years.

Maybe someday there will be a new Bellisseria, one on which you can either pick a cookie cutter home OR build one of your own.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 4:32 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Anyone who wants a bit of fun while driving across continents, land and sea, could have a go at the Starchild Rally:-

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cliffoed/46/194/39

The idea of it is to get as far as you can across 4 continents. My best attempt was 5 years ago and I'm still in second place :)

since Bellisarria got connected, I had a go on the other Starchild Rally at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sistiana/218/83/27

i crashed way down south at 24822.78 and never had another go. I am second on that one as Elysian since came along and is on the top now with 30244.06. Iteke is 3rd at 17778.28

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mollymews said:

since Bellisarria got connected, I had a go on the other Starchild Rally at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sistiana/218/83/27

i crashed way down south at 24822.78 and never had another go. I am second on that one as Elysian since came along and is on the top now with 30244.06. Iteke is 3rd at 17778.28

Ty, Mollymews. That's the short (original) rally. Some of us did that one, and got as far as it's possible to go. 16 told us about it here in the forum, and we kept at it until we'd completed it. We posted pics of us at the farthest point. It's been restarted since then so none of us show in the top 3, although Hugsy has a commemoration there. Maybe he got a meter beyond 16 and me, but I don't think that was possible. I remember that I got 1 meter further than 16, and I don't think it was possible to go even further. Then the owners set up the long rally for us - the link I posted. I'm not sure if the leader of it got all the way. I know I didn't. I wasn't too far off though. Once in a while, I have a few goes at it just to pass some time pleasantly.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kari Velvetleaf said:

One place that I have loved to ride with a friend is called "Mother Road".  It's just such a great 'route 66' sort of place with GREAT light and details.  Love it.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mishiland/65/210/75

49857351553_6f561f98dc_o.jpg

Dave Mann, eat your heart out. This should be on the cover of Easyriders.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ty, Mollymews. That's the short (original) rally. Some of us did that one, and got as far as it's possible to go. 16 told us about it here in the forum, and we kept at it until we'd completed it. We posted pics of us at the farthest point. It's been restarted since then so none of us show in the top 3, although Hugsy has a commemoration there. Maybe he got a meter beyond 16 and me, but I don't think that was possible. I remember that I got 1 meter further than 16, and I don't think it was possible to go even further. Then the owners set up the long rally for us - the link I posted. I'm not sure if the leader of it got all the way. I know I didn't. I wasn't too far off though. Once in a while, I have a few goes at it just to pass some time pleasantly.

with the Sistiana Rally.  When Bellissaria connected the 2 continents, I went there to have a go. At the time was Itake, Hugsy and Phil (you). 16 had been bumped off by Itake who had had a go at the newly connected continents. After my go then was Molly (me), Itake and Hugsy. I bumped you off. Then Elysian had a go and is now Elysian, Molly, Itake. Hugsy got bumped by Elysian (assume that nobody else has improved it since)

and yes about the Cliffoed Rally. When Bellissaria bridges the gap as it seems is going to then the Cliffoed Rally is going to be massive long. Irihapeti's distance to current lands end is going to only be about halfway

i like that Hugsy got a commemoration for the Sistiana [for 1st to complete the original Starchild Rally]. Was a pretty hard challenge back in those days for any vehicle to travel all that distance without crashing on a region crossing. Not that you and 16 made it easy for Hugsy that little happy burgly penguin :)

Edited by Mollymews
[ ]
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

with the Sistiana Rally.  When Bellissaria connected the 2 continents, I went there to have a go. At the time was Itake, Hugsy and Phil (you). 16 had been bumped off by Itake who had had a go at the newly connected continents. After my go then was Molly (me), Itake and Hugsy. I bumped you off. Then Elysian had a go and is now Elysian, Molly, Itake. Hugsy got bumped by Elysian (assume that nobody else has improved it since)

and yes about the Cliffoed Rally. When Bellissaria bridges the gap as it seems is going to then the Cliffoed Rally is going to be massive long. Irihapeti's distance to current lands end is going to only be about halfway

i like that Hugsy got a commemoration for the Sistiana [for 1st to complete the original Starchild Rally]. Was a pretty hard challenge back in those days for any vehicle to travel all that distance without crashing on a region crossing. Not that you and 16 made it easy for Hugsy that little happy burgly penguin :)

WOW!!! What a memory! I couldn't have remembered any of that. The main thing I remember about the short rally is the last bit - moving very gingerly through an area of homes, where ban lines were in proliferation, and the corridors between them were narrow enough to make a slightly wrong move fatal. Happy times :)

What I don't understand now is why Bugsy's commemoration is a much short distance than the current leaders. Your post makes it sound like the joining of land masses is the reason. Without a working map it's impossible to see. I don't even remember where the short rally is on the map. If it is, then it hasn't been restarted, as I'd thought. It's just that the possible distance increased and people (you being one) bumped 16 and me off the top. If we ever get a working map again, I'll try to get among the trophies again :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

WOW!!! What a memory! I couldn't have remembered any of that. The main thing I remember about the short rally is the last bit - moving very gingerly through an area of homes, where ban lines were in proliferation, and the corridors between them were narrow enough to make a slightly wrong move fatal. Happy times :)

What I don't understand now is why Bugsy's commemoration is a much short distance than the current leaders. Your post makes it sound like the joining of land masses is the reason. Without a working map it's impossible to see. I don't even remember where the short rally is on the map. If it is, then it hasn't been restarted, as I'd thought. It's just that the possible distance increased and people (you being one) bumped 16 and me off the top. If we ever get a working map again, I'll try to get among the trophies again :D

with original Sistiana Starchild Rally the finish line was Dali region. 12000 something metres about. And yes those last few regions were pretty hard to navigate. Quite small parcels with just about all of them maxed out prims/LI. Lots of render lag. Banlines all over as you say, and non-phantom screens blocking pathways thru. Was really painful to get thru there as you also say

maybe Elysian will update the commemoration text to say that Hugsy was the 1st winner of the original Starchild Rally - Sistiana to Dali

edit add: Am not sure if Elysian has made it to the new Sistiana finish line. I have worked out where it is, but am not going to say, just in case 😸

Edited by Mollymews

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

maybe Elysian will update the commemoration text to say that Hugsy was the 1st winner of the original Starchild Rally - Sistiana to Dali

But he wasn't. I am sure that I was 😁  He was the first to reach the far corner of the farthest sim - almost the very end. But the objective is not to be the first but to go the furthest, and there was the odd meter or so left. 16 got an extra bit, and then I got an extra meter over her. I'm certain that it was impossible to find another meter. I wonder if Hugsy did somehow  find another meter. Hmm.

When you got to it, another land mass had been connected and it appears that Hugsy and Itake (never heard that name) had had a go at it, and I was down in 3rd when you got there.

Damn! I now want the map to work again so that I can try the new one. As it is, it isn't possible to even see which direction to go in. Judging by the map at the start of the long rally, nobody has yet gone a far as possible, so that's still there to be done - but not without the map :(

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

But he wasn't. I am sure that I was 😁  He was the first to reach the far corner of the farthest sim - almost the very end. But the objective is not to be the first but to go the furthest, and there was the odd meter or so left. 16 got an extra bit, and then I got an extra meter over her. I'm certain that it was impossible to find another meter. I wonder if Hugsy did somehow  find another meter. Hmm.

you are misremember 😺

Hugsy got to Dali there 1st. Then 16 got to Dali 2nd, BUT! never pushed the bumpercar into the far corner of Dali. So was a fraction of a metre shorter than Hugsy. Then somebody who shall remain nameless but first name starts with Phil and last name doesn't start with Deacons got to Dali 3rd, but did push the bumper car right into the corner, same as Hugsy did and not like that 16, and that Phil not Deacons person got the same exact distance as Hugsy

so Hugsy won the gold cup. 16 won the silver. Then you won the silver cup from 16, who got bumped down into bronze

if was up to me and isn't, then after this the cups mantle should have showed Phil, Hugsy, 16. But it never as Hugsy did it in a faster time

same with the Cliffoed

i think Elysian has the thought that when distances are equal then fastest time is the cup decider. But I think that anyone who does complete (no matter the time taken) should get the gold cup, at least until the next person and the previous gold cup holder is bumped down to silver

i get the idea of time deciders, but I think it does bias results toward people with fast computers and fast internet connections. My experience is that hardware systems bias discourages people on slower equipment from playing these kinds of games. Which given how difficult it is to even complete the Starchild rallies, just making it to the end is a pretty big accomplishment in itself and I think is worth a gold cup all by itself

Edited by Mollymews
typ

@Mollymews I have no choice but to bow to your memories 🙂  I thought that Hugsy had stopped doing it when I got an extra meter on 16, which I'm sure put me in 1st place (I do remember doing that :) ) but I wouldn't stake my house on Bugsy not going back, and I certainly don't remember the detail that you do. So I have to accept your memories as being accurate.

Speaking of speed, I just went over to the start of the long rally. irihapiti (who I'm sure was a later incarnation of 16) is in the lead with me 2nd and Solo Mornington 3rd. But notice the speeds. irihapiti averaged 9mph, I was twice as fast at an average of 19mph, but Solo was twice as fast again at 40 mph. It took some dedication by me to get the distance I got averaging 19mph, but imagine irihapeti's dedication to get so much further doing an average of only 9mph!

If anyone reading this isn't familiar with the rallies, it was very very common to have to start again due to being removed from the vehicle for various reasons, including sim borders, so getting a very long way takes many attempts - hence the required dedication.

If we get the map back, I have plans 😁

Edited by Phil Deakins

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

imagine irihapeti's dedication to get so much further doing an average of only 9mph!

something something ADSL on copper, something something ping time 400+ something something ancient laptop something something 230M graphics card something something 8 FPS, sometimes 10 even vrooooom!!

• Haha 1

I recently moved into Campbell Coast which is right on the Circuit La Corse, so I've been driving (and riding and sailing) all around there in the past couple of weeks. The roads around there are really nicely done with lots of rez zones and nice decorative touches from the LDPW. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.