Got scammed out of 1000 linden, what should I do?

FinnTheHumanHello

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, so in my opinion I've been scammed. While this doesn't seem to be the opinion of Linden labs.

I bought an item in the market place, and it doesn't match the what I got from the advertised picture.

The item is a mesh item, the seller downloaded this from a website, at the time this item was free to download or still is. The seller has copied the picture from the website. Hence why his item looks completely different, he's textured it wrong from the picture and the item is shiny and metallic, which is completely different from the photo. I'm not too sure about the licensing agreement, so can't say for sure if he has stolen it or not. (Just my money)

Later I found out the exact same item was for sale by another seller for 250 linden, who had textured it correctly. With the exact same permissions.

I posted a bad review on the item, but the seller was able to get it removed. The thing is, this hasn't just happened to me, I've read some reply comments on feedback, and alot of people are unhappy about it also and complained their bad review has been removed also.

So would like some advice.

I contacted the seller, he was extremely toxic and blocked me.

I contacted Linden labs, they were uninterested and said that they are just a 3rd party to whatever goes on in marketplace.

I can only think of filing a dispute on paypal, but I think this would have some harmful effects on my account?

8 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, FinnTheHumanHello said:

I can only think of filing a dispute on paypal,

did you pay with paypal?... thats extremely expensive for use on MP ..( you have a bad exchange rate, and have to pay the normal fees for a L$ order)

if you buy with paypal on the MP, your payment will be for the amount of L$ you need to buy. Not to buy the object directly.
If the seller doesn't want to help, i think you'r out of options.

I guess you could do some investigating to see if the website allows uploading to SL. Lots don't.  If it doesn't you could report the use in SL to the original creator and leave it with them to see if they want to take it further.  It won't get you your money back but might make you feel better.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

The best you can do in a situation like this is write a bad review, which you did. The reason why the review was removed is very subjective as whatever wording you used in your review may have been off-topic enough for the Linden reviewing your review to remove it.

When it comes to the model being taken from a different site (for free or not), that's not something you can do much about. Even direct and obvious copyright infringements are generally ignored unless it's a very mainstream brand like Disney. Only the current copyright holder can file a DMCA to get something removed from MP.

5 hours ago, FinnTheHumanHello said:

So would like some advice.

I contacted the seller, he was extremely toxic and blocked me.

I contacted Linden labs, they were uninterested and said that they are just a 3rd party to whatever goes on in marketplace.

I can only think of filing a dispute on paypal, but I think this would have some harmful effects on my account?

Basically, you are out of luck.  Sellers can sell things for any amount that they want on the MP.  So the fact that someone else is selling the same thing for less is totally irrelevant.

If an item does not exactly match a picture, BUT the difference is explained in the description, then the seller is covered.

LL will never get involved in disputes between residents, even between seller & buyers, unless it is fraud or something else that violates the TOS or MP rules.  Even then you seldom actually get any money back.

The issue is with an MP transaction for a game item.  PayPal will not do anything.

10 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The best you can do in a situation like this is write a bad review, which you did. The reason why the review was removed is very subjective as whatever wording you used in your review may have been off-topic enough for the Linden reviewing your review to remove it.

Yeah, because I mentioned that it was downloaded from another site for free, was the reason it was removed. Unfortunately everyone else has fallen in the same trap as they've left negative reviews and they've been removed too. And had to resort to replying to the positive review given. 

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If an item does not exactly match a picture, BUT the difference is explained in the description, then the seller is covered.

No it isn't mentioned anywhere that it's different. Infact I could of sworn when I bought it, it said, "You are getting exactly what is pictured" but that seems to be removed after I complained.

At some point you have to ask yourself whether it's worth fretting over what amounts to about $4 US.  That's about the price of a Big Mac.  Not the meal; just the Big Mac.  I know, it's about the principle and about the insult of having been fooled into buying something that isn't what you were led to believe. Still, as swindles go, this is small change.  Kick the wall, throw a flowerpot, and use some of those words that you were saving for sometime when your grandmother isn't nearby.  Then walk away and tell all your friends not to buy anything from that shop.

• Like 1

SL MARKETPLACE LISTING GUIDELINES

What These Guidelines Provide

To help promote an enjoyable shopping experience, merchants must adhere to these guidelines when listing items on the SL Marketplace. The guidelines aim to help merchants list items effectively so that buyers can quickly and easily find what they're looking for. Merchants must:

• Select the category that best identifies the item for sale.
  • Describe the item clearly, honestly, and accurately.
  • Avoid tactics like item or keyword spamming that make it hard for buyers to find what they're searching for.

source: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines#listing-guidelines

On 2/26/2021 at 2:21 PM, FinnTheHumanHello said:

Something isn't correct. Either you didn't explain to the linden lab in that report, how that merchant violated the second rule. Need to explain it correctly, use screenshots of product and marketplace listing to show the differences. List your accusations by numbers. Archive the listing page using http://archive.is and add tot he report, in case merchant changed it later. Also there is a chance that your performance settings might be different so you can't see the texture shininess of the product.

Or, since the reports checked by human LL employees, they made a human mistake. Most of the time they don't let anyone to violate the above mentioned rules.

As you didn't archive it, you have less chance to re-appeal as the description and the image already changed with the accurate product. But still can give a try. Good luck.

Edited by MeshPromo

33 minutes ago, MeshPromo said:

Something isn't correct. Either you didn't explain to the linden lab in that report, how that merchant violated the third rule. Need to explain it correctly, use screenshots of product and marketplace listing to show the differences.

MP items can only be Flagged and then you select the appropriate issues from a drop-down.  You cannot add any text or screenshots or anything.  There is no way to report an MP item any other way.  If it is true "fraud", then a Support ticket **might** work, but otherwise MP reporting options are very limited -- and totally inadequate, IMO.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.