Viewer for Windows 7

Sylviaangel Faintree

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Firestorm does still work with Windows 7. In fact - I'm running it all the time, at least for the time being, until I get a machine with something newer on board. Sylviaangel, don't forget to whitelist Firestorm in your antivirus ( https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/antivirus_whitelisting + https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/is_my_viewer_safe ), because if nothing has changed viewer-wise, then the inability to launch it must be caused by some external software.

Have a look for the logs in appdata roaming and see if there's anything reported there. You're probably going to have to ask for help from the Firestorm groups on this and that's the sort of information they're going to be asking for. The message box isn't giving much to work with, the logs are going to be where you'll find out what it's unhappy about. If you're stuck I suggest asking Whirly Fizzle about this.

I'd also suggest you download the LL viewer and try running that to make sure this isn't a hardware issue.

As far as I know all viewers currently available will run on Windows 7.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advices.

I cheked the settings of antivirus, I cleaned all the cache, I tried the troubleshoot compatibility, I read the informations from forums too...
BUT the problem wasn't solved!

After all, I downloaded the LL Viewer.. And I will buy a new pc as soon as posible 😂

Thank you for your time!❤️

On 2/26/2021 at 4:43 PM, Sylviaangel Faintree said:

Thank you all for your advices.

I cheked the settings of antivirus, I cleaned all the cache, I tried the troubleshoot compatibility, I read the informations from forums too...
BUT the problem wasn't solved!

After all, I downloaded the LL Viewer.. And I will buy a new pc as soon as posible 😂

Thank you for your time!❤️

I bet if you re-install Firestorm now - it will work now that you have the LL Viewer installed.

WIndows 7 isn't going anywhere soon - there's far too many out there for that to happen so it's not a problem with WIndows 7. Don't let anyone con you in to buying a new computer just because...

Firestorm uses the same codebase as the LL Viewer - the only difference is that they change around the User Interface and add some bells & whistles so if the LL viewer works - so will Firestorm - it's NOT your computer.

If you tried everything else then a clean install of Firestorm will usually help by letting the Firestorm installer do the un-install (don't rely on just deleting the desktop shortcut & the program folder. Windows does screw up occasionally & can cause you some swearing & frustration but perservere - I use Windows 7 and have very few issues with Firestorm.

LIke I say - if you re-install Firestorm now - I bet it will work... :D

If the LL viewer is working and FS is not you can try something semi drastic. Rename the user_settings folder found in C:\users\YourWindowsLoginName\AppData\Roaming\Firestormx_64 to user_settings.old and then restart the viewer. This will force FS to go back to default settings and you WILL lose your current settings. 

*note* if you are using a 32bit version of Firestorm Firestormx_64 will just say Firestorm.

*note II* AppData is a hidden folder in windows. See below to make it visible.

1. Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.

2. Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.

3. Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

If this fails please update your graphics card drivers from either Nvidia, AMD or Intel for the latest Windows 7 driver.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.