Harassment from Progeny authorities and members

portexploits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was a player of Progeny for a while.  Progeny is a vampire game within Second Life. You can bite other vampires(which is usually fighting) and you can bite humans(people who are not in the game) To fill up on blood.  My friends and I would get attacked a lot when I first joined.  When I learned how to fight better I went after a lot of the attackers in the game. Frankly, I would win and they didn’t like it.

In a time frame of months, I paid fifty dollars every month to the game's Patreon. I would estimate about five-hundred dollars in total.  I was banned by the moderators(diabolics) of the game. I did nothing more than play the game. I pushed the bite button on the HUD. Turns out these aggressors and bullies are friends of the moderators of the game and they complained which got me banned.  It’s politics.

These people gossip, create drama, lies, and they make me look so bad. Today a Progeny group notice went out saying I have alts in the system(just trying to make me look worse), and the moderator was saying stuff about eating people’s faces. The issue with the notices is that it leads to a chat discussion in the group where a lot of people were talking badly about me. Frankly, It’s just a form of harassment and bullying by a community with over 3,000 members. It’s only a selected few that do this harassment and bullying.

I have videos of these people harassing and bullying me. They would physically push my avatar around the sim, swearing at me, saying derogatory things towards me. I tried to handle this type of harassment against me within Progeny. But, they are just too corrupt and biased.  Once again, politics.

Is there anything I can do about these people trying to put me on blast, and their harassment towards me? Anything about the hundreds of dollars I lost in the game for no reason?  Someone told me I should take legal action.

Edited by portexploits
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, portexploits said:

Is there anything I can do about these people trying to put me on blast, and their harassment towards me? Anything about the hundreds of dollars I lost in the game for no reason?  Someone told me I should take legal action.

You can AR them in-world, but it doesn't (to me) sound as though you have sufficient grounds. For good or ill, "saying bad things" about someone is not in itself enough to trigger action from LL. If, on the other hand, you are personally being targeted -- in the sense that you are being griefed, spammed, followed, etc., then you might have some basis for an AR. But if it's just occurring in group chat? Probably not.

LL will also not get involved in any sort of dispute between you and this group. I can't imagine what sort of basis you might have for legal action, but I suppose you could consult a lawyer? The initial consultation, however, is likely to cost you nearly as much as you've wasted in donations to the group's Patreon.

It would be nice if there were a reliable, transparent, and just way (i.e., one that didn't itself run the risk of functioning as a griefing tool, or merely feeding petty drama and disputes) to deal with nastiness. But there isn't really one in RL, and such a mechanism certainly doesn't exist in SL. And being a jerk is, within limits, pretty much everyone's right.

I'm afraid your only options are probably to mute, block . . . and move on.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Gawd, what is wrong with my writing tonight?
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You can AR them in-world, but it doesn't (to me) sounds as though you have sufficient grounds. For good or ill, "saying bad things" about someone is not in itself enough to trigger action from LL. If, on the other hand, you are personally being targeted -- in the sense that you are being griefed, spammed, followed, etc., then you might have some basis for an AR. But if it's just occurring in group chat? Probably not.

LL will also not get involved in any sort of dispute between you and this group. I can't imagine what sort of basis you might have for legal action, but I suppose you could consult a lawyer? The initial consultation, however, is likely to cost you nearly as much as you've wasted in donations to the group's Patreon.

It would be nice if there were a reliable, transparent, and just way (i.e., one that didn't itself run the risk of functioning as a griefing tool, or merely feeding petty drama and disputes) to deal with nastiness. But there isn't really one in RL, and such a mechanism doesn't exist. And being a jerk is, within limits, pretty much everyone's right.

I'm afraid your only options are probably to mute, block . . . and move on.

Thank you. It's more than in just the group chat. As I said, I have countless videos of these people griefing me, and calling me all types of dirty names.  But overall, that's why I asked. Not sure if anything can be done about these people.

2 hours ago, portexploits said:

Thank you. It's more than in just the group chat. As I said, I have countless videos of these people griefing me, and calling me all types of dirty names.  But overall, that's why I asked. Not sure if anything can be done about these people.

Well, depending upon what you mean by "griefing," you might possibly have a case. But slander, name-calling, and so forth won't do it. Try an AR -- you've got nothing to lose. And possibly tell them that you will if they continue; it might convince them to leave you alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, depending upon what you mean by "griefing," you might possibly have a case. But slander, name-calling, and so forth won't do it. Try an AR -- you've got nothing to lose. And possibly tell them that you will if they continue; it might convince them to leave you alone.

I am sorry to ask, but what is an AR? The name calling, was someone calling me dirty names that are not appropriate for a G rated sim, where it occurred.

7 minutes ago, portexploits said:

I am sorry to ask, but what is an AR? The name calling, was someone calling me dirty names that are not appropriate for a G rated sim, where it occurred.

AR is short for Abuse Report

to file a abuse report then viewer menu: Help \ Report Abuse and fill in the form that pops up

The maturity rating guidelines say that "General regions are areas where you should feel free to say and do things that you would be comfortable saying and doing in front of your grandmother or a grade school class. "  If you submit an AR, that would presumably be the framework for your complaint. There's quite a range of ambiguity in that guideline, of course, since I doubt that you will find a universal standard about what you should feel comfortable saying in front of your grandmother.  Still, that's why the AR process exists; you submit your complaint and Linden Lab makes a judgment and decides what punishment to apply if any.  You'll never be told what LL decided.  That's between them and the person who annoyed you.

• Like 1

One thing you can do like others suggested is file an abuse report but also document every since thing that is being said with Screenshots, video etc to back up your claims. even with the money issue make sure you have the transcripts you made into the system itself and proceed to talk with a lawyer about this. Not much you can do about others talking about you but if it turns into more of an attack on you via several people being the aggressors you can report it to linden labs and see what they can do. I dealt with this before on a different platform after getting no help I decided to leave the platform and come to SL instead. You can block the people talking bad about you as well and leave any groups apart of that system. Good luck! 

The main issue is the Abusive Report. If this is the report feature in-world. That won’t work because most of what I have is on video. The in-world report feature takes a screenshot, it doesn’t show what these people are doing, and you can’t hear them speaking through their microphone as you can with the videos.

9 minutes ago, portexploits said:

The main issue is the Abusive Report. If this is the report feature in-world. That won’t work because most of what I have is on video. The in-world report feature takes a screenshot, it doesn’t show what these people are doing, and you can’t hear them speaking through their microphone as you can with the videos.

. Today a Progeny group notice went out saying I have alts in the system(just trying to make me look worse), and the moderator was saying stuff about eating people’s faces. The issue with the notices is that it leads to a chat discussion in the group where a lot of people were talking badly about me. Frankly, It’s just a form of harassment and bullying by a community with over 3,000 members. It’s only a selected few that do this harassment and bullying.

You do have group chat logs if you're logging chat.  You mentioned them speaking badly about you there so that may be your only recourse when filing an Abuse Report.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.