Is private voice really private?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum....

There have been a few instances where I've overheard people using voice chat.  A couple of times it likely wasn't meant to be private, but on other occasions, I'm confident the parties talking believed no one could hear them. Either because of the way they were talking about the people around them, or how the direction of the conversation was headed in regards to....erm... intimacy.   

So now when my partner and I are voice chatting, I can't help but wonder if we're being heard.  Is it common to overhear people's private conversations? 

leyna wrote:

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum....

There have been a few instances where I've overheard people using voice chat.  A couple of times it likely wasn't meant to be private, but on other occasions, I'm confident the parties talking believed no one could hear them. Either because of the way they were talking about the people around them, or how the direction of the conversation was headed in regards to....erm... intimacy.   

So now when my partner and I are voice chatting, I can't help but wonder if we're being heard.  Is it common to overhear people's private conversations? 

It is possible that they mistakenly believed they were not heard when in fact they were using public chat. Its also possible that they didn't care if they were heard or not. Some people are like that, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

I also thought Skype was safe but just the other day my friend and I had Skype on in world and we were talking when a stranger approached us and said that she thought we were funny in chat. We asked her are you sure its us you can hear and she said yes and even repeated some of the things we said. So skype is not safe either. And yes we checked we didnt even have SL voice on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.