COVID rants /shares 2.0 thread

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:01 PM, Kyrie Deka said:

Pre-existing conditions, long laid to rest and all-but forgotten thankfully, flared up and quite dramatically, after shot-1 of 2.  Yup.  Unfortunate.  VAERS reporting is important.  

I had to look up what that VAERS is.  I'm sure my doctor reported it.  He knows.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

They're just reminders for people - you don't need them to book or attend the second jab :) 

Not in America.  The card is a proof of vaccination card.  You all may get one after your second shots as that's when I got mine.  In America, we are supposed to get them laminated as they are proof we've had the vaccine.

9 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

LOL nope. Vitamin supplements is an old wives' tale thing you use for the common cold, not a virus.

No, that's simply not true.  I have had chronic fatigue syndrome for years.  It went into remission for quite a few years prior to the Covid vaccination and the flu shot last September, both of which gave me fatigue lasting almost two months after each one.  Vitamin C helps us absorb iron and iron helps us fight fatigue.  I ate of lot of the whole fruit of oranges though too every day.

Many doctors are recommending certain vitamins after the vaccine to help boost our immune system through it, not before as some kind of a preventative though.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

In America, we are supposed to get them laminated as they are proof we've had the vaccine.

Various officials recommended that you do NOT get it laminated.   Everyone may have to get a booster, because of the varients and that will also need to be recorded on your vaccine card.  Instead, you should make a copy and laminate that for carrying around to show as proof of vaccination.  Store your true vaccination card in a safe place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought, in the US, our medical records, etc were not public for a reason. So how is this card carrying business not a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality? Should we be carrying around cards that list ALL of our vaccinations? Even the ones we had 60 years ago? You know, the ones where only paper records were kept because pcs didn't exist yet and now all those records are nonexistent because pcs. JFHC make up our minds!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I thought, in the US, our medical records, etc were not public for a reason. So how is this card carrying business not a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality? Should we be carrying around cards that list ALL of our vaccinations? Even the ones we had 60 years ago? You know, the ones where only paper records were kept because pcs didn't exist yet and now all those records are nonexistent because pcs. JFHC make up our minds!

We've always have to reveal our childhood vaccination records in order to get enrolled in school, even college.  Many colleges are adding proof of a COVID vaccine for this coming fall.  Primary schools may add the vaccine as a requirement also, though I think that is still being debated in most/all states.

Various types of employment - health related - have always required proof of some vaccines.  Additionally, the Military requires knowledge of all of a person's vaccines before deploying them anywhere -- and can even require them to take additional ones.

Similarly, in some locals (where state law allows), some businesses are now requiring proof of the COVID vaccine for entry.  From what I've read, it is allowed (in most states) because it is related to a pandemic and public health. 

The doctor/patient privilege stuff only applies to the doctor releasing your records without your permission.  Nobody is going to relesase your medical information to anyone.  In the case of having to prove vaccination in order to enter a buisness or go on a cruise, etc --- it is still all your choice as to whether or not you disclose the information. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We've always have to reveal our childhood vaccination records in order to get enrolled in school, even college.  Many colleges are adding proof of a COVID vaccine for this coming fall.  Primary schools may add the vaccine as a requirement also, though I think that is still being debated in most/all states.

Various types of employment - health related - have always required proof of some vaccines.  Additionally, the Military requires knowledge of all of a person's vaccines before deploying them anywhere -- and can even require them to take additional ones.

Similarly, in some locals (where state law allows), some businesses are now requiring proof of the COVID vaccine for entry.  From what I've read, it is allowed (in most states) because it is related to a pandemic and public health. 

The doctor/patient privilege stuff only applies to the doctor releasing your records without your permission.  Nobody is going to relesase your medical information to anyone.  In the case of having to prove vaccination in order to enter a buisness or go on a cruise, etc --- it is still all your choice as to whether or not you disclose the information. 

Yes, but that wasn't my point.

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I thought, in the US, our medical records, etc were not public for a reason. So how is this card carrying business not a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality?

Sometimes you need to carry proof of whatever meds/vaccines etc you are on where ever you come from in the world just in case something bad happens to you and a doctor/paramedic has to treat you. In the UK when i was regularly having steroids i had to carry a card with treatment info. i've had things for previous RA meds i've been on. For my current meds i have a card with the details of which immunosuppressant i take and the hospital i'm treated at 

3 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Sometimes you need to carry proof of whatever meds/vaccines etc you are on where ever you come from in the world just in case something bad happens to you and a doctor/paramedic has to treat you. In the UK when i was regularly having steroids i had to carry a card with treatment info. i've had things for previous RA meds i've been on. For my current meds i have a card with the details of which immunosuppressant i take and the hospital i'm treated at 

I'm not taking any meds like that. Heck they even denied me treatment for the one major life threatening health issue I do have. My medical records only go back about 5 years because I couldn't afford a doctor for decades.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that it doesn't apply to everyone. And health care  in the US is nothing like it is across the pond.

42 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yes, but that wasn't my point.

I answered the following question -- about how it was not a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality -- which did seem (to me) to be the point of your post. 

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So how is this card carrying business not a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality?

Sorry to have misunderstood your question/comments. 

• Thanks 1

Carrying a card doesn't violate doctor-patient confidentiality.

That confidentially only applies to your doctors actions, they can't divulge your information.

You can blurt out the finer points of your medical history at any moment and for any reason.

The card isn't a magical document, it's a card, with a date on, for your information as much as anything else. Same as the card from the nail salon (sighs .. I miss getting my nails done).

Proof of vaccination is a request made of you, not your doctor. If you didn't have a card, you would be able to ask your doctor for a printout that provided the requested information.

You can always choose not to provide the information when asked and accept the outcomes of that action.

• Like 6

On 4/24/2021 at 8:58 AM, Silent Mistwalker said:

Should we be carrying around cards that list ALL of our vaccinations? Even the ones we had 60 years ago?

Only because you asked, I would say Yes if you can gather records. 

EDIT: Re-added part of minimized post below in discussion on vaccine cards, and vaccine databases.  

Edited by Kyrie Deka
In my efforts to avoid the word "that" I leave out too many lol. Then minimized to clarify. Wishing all well!
  • Like 1

Ask rhetorical questions and get a tl:dr lecture that I don't need and didn't address what was actually my point. Since no one seems to have gotten that point and I don't know how to make it any clearer, I'm going to let it go.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I thought, in the US, our medical records, etc were not public for a reason. So how is this card carrying business not a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality

It's not. As other's have correctly pointed out in previous comments to mine just because you have the card does not mean you must wave it all about showing it to everyone or that people can make you show it to them. It is merely a way to ensure you have a record you can show your doctor or doctor's that you've been vaccinated and when that way in case further boosters are needed they know what vaccines you've gotten. This is to both avoid any potential vaccine interaction reactions and make sure you're getting them in whatever sequence they need to be in, etc.

Also as others have pointed out people requiring you show them proof of vaccination (say a restaurant or cruise ship, etc) doesn't mean you have to show them your card. It just means you don't get to eat there, go on that cruise, etc. They don't have a right to your info but they do have a right to deny you entry based on your being a potential health risk to staff and customers. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

In America, we are supposed to get them laminated as they are proof we've had the vaccine.

Many doctors are recommending certain vitamins after the vaccine to help boost our immune system through it, not before as some kind of a preventative though.  

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/boosting-your-immune-system.html

""You actually don't want your immune system to be stronger, you want it to be balanced," Dr. Cassel says. "Too much of an immune response is just as bad as too little response."

Dr. Cassel says most of the things people take to boost their immune system, such as vitamins or supplements, don't have any effect on your immune response."

Supplements are mostly junk. You get all the vitamin C you need from a healthy diet. Eating a bunch of oranges isn't going to do anything but possibly put a bunch of extra sugar into your system you don't need among other things. https://www.livescience.com/45057-oranges-nutrition-facts.html#:~:text=Health risks,could also lead to diarrhea." 

"

Oranges are great for you, but you should enjoy them in moderation, Flores said. "Eating too many oranges has some uncomfortable side effects," she said. "When [oranges are] eaten in excess, the greater fiber content can affect digestion, causing abdominal cramps, and could also lead to diarrhea."

Though oranges are relatively low in calories, eating several per day can end up leading to weight gain. It is also possible to consume too much vitamin C (more than 2,000 milligrams a day); an excess of this nutrient may lead to diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, bloating or cramps, headaches and insomnia, according to the Mayo Clinic." 

As far as laminating your card definitely don't do that. 

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Ask rhetorical questions and get a tl:dr lecture that I don't need and didn't address what was actually my point. Since no one seems to have gotten that point and I don't know how to make it any clearer, I'm going to let it go.

Hiya! Hey you completely misread the intent of my response. I got your rhetorical question, and I was playing along to help many, not just you.  You know, I could have kept that all to myself.  It takes a lot to share with intent to *help* when the sharing involves deeply personal stuff.  That was the toned down version.  You personally were not being lectured I assure you.  Perhaps you're right, it wouldn't have helped anyone sharing my experience so they could consider what they might use for their own situations.  It surely did the opposite for you.  Regular, very concerned folks - let's call it maybe even just one - post here too.  In this case, I forgot there are many more others that read more into posts many times even when intended 100% genuine.  Meh, its a gaming forum.  That I thought it would help anyone was not my smartest move in retrospect,  I will grant you that.  My bad.  To that end, I will next shorten my perceived "tl:dr lecture", so it doesn't do the opposite of helping to anyone else.  It's all good.  Wasn't worth sharing it for slap like that.  Thanks for reading it though.  That anyone made it to the bottom, and found even a quarter-ounce of ideas to help their own situation and ease their concerns, would have made it worth the time I invested writing it.  

15 hours ago, Kyrie Deka said:

Only because you asked, I would say Yes if you can gather records. 

Not sure what all the drama was here, but it all raises a question that I've been wondering about: In the States, how do they make sure you haven't already gotten a vaccination? Here in Canada you have to produce your provincial health insurance card and I assume there's a provincial database of who's gotten which vaccine and when (and probably which pharmacy to pay for administering it, if that's who's doing it).

It's a little different here, I guess, because we're expected to wait up to 4 months for that second dose, so there'd be more incentive to sneak in and pretend to get another first dose sooner than that. But still... do they have some sort of state-level (or national) tracking and identification to prevent somebody getting all the vaccines, multiple times?

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

how do they make sure you haven't already gotten a vaccination?

They seem to not care if you have or haven't had them. It's all on you to prove it, or take all again. You are asked if you had shot X, and either you can prove it with official records, or before access you must take all required shots again.  You are excluded from e.g. enrolling in University classes until you prove it or retake it.

When I tripped over this in research it seemed the requirement to build the databases occurred years ago and they were then built and maintained since quietly with no advertisement I ever saw myself, and were assigned to an entity (state and/or county) to maintain the database, and add data to it.  But they made it all voluntary to add data to it.  Entries of shot records were only to come from either the physician to choose if they transmit data electronically to the database contacts (no requirement to do so, and I never had a doctor do it, I always had to ask at each shot), or were to come from the individual to (magically) know the database exists and to take official data to the manager assigned in PnP to get their information added. If I recall correctly the last time I was involved in one of them, the county health department locations front desks could be visited and if they see official shot records from individuals requesting it they could manually access/add the data to the database.  I took cards I found for the entire family (shots all received before I learned about any state vaccine database option), and asked them to add the kids and I, and they did.  It came in very handy since for all of us changing jobs, travel.  I suspect the db were built with big intentions at the time, then political climate changed and diverted money from one project to others and the db was left being maintained but no rules were added to further develop volume use.

All of this is further complicated by state laws which vary requiring how many years doctors are required to retain patient records.  In some states it is as short as 3 years.  So calling the doctor you got the shot in for a copy of shot record or a signed document you have received a vaccine may be completely useless in that case, if you call four years later.  

Edited by Kyrie Deka
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

But still... do they have some sort of state-level (or national) tracking and identification to prevent somebody getting all the vaccines, multiple times?

So yes there are, at least in the states I have direct experience in, databases to retain vaccine data, but they may or may not be required to be updated by anyone, or even known by patients to exist. 

That these were in place before the Pandemic, meant measles, DPT, flu shot, etc. were in them, but again, only if the patient knew they even existed or if doctors routinely reported all shots to that database, which in my experience no doctors ever have.  And they seemed to me more useful in their current state (if patients even knew about them at all), when used, to prove to someone why one *didn't* need to put duplicate chemicals in their body.  

But for the state to use the list to stop someone from getting multiple vaccines, I've experienced no one before C19 being concerned about multiple vaccines received at all (again, this would be measels, mumps, etc, all before covid).  Pre-covid they almost seemed to encourage one to just "jump in" and inject more chemicals again its nothin.  But I think what you are saying is a great usage of the data, both for managing multiples medically, and for research purposes moving forward ie reactions, duplicate vaccines, etc.  In that state though, back to no requirements for anyone anywhere to report to it (at that time, in those states):  If a user wanted to get multiple c19 vaxes, there would be no record of it because user wouldn't report it to the database (either not wanting to, or not knowing it existed).  This would require changes in those states since then to PnP and editing reporting to "shall" in law linked to practitioners license for compliance likely, that would then require all licensed medical providers to report all vaccines given, within X hours of giving them, reporting it electronically directly to the database.   

Edited by Kyrie Deka
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.