COVID rants /shares 2.0 thread

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Obviously I'm grateful that I'm not in any additional risk categories, and it's absolutely right that more vulnerable people go first, and the NHS is doing a brilliant job with the rollout...

...but I want my vaccine too! Please get to me soon!!! 

Online calculator used to say I wouldn't get my first jab until September at the earliest, now it's saying it could be as early as May. Then the second one in September. Hooray!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I won't be having a haircut until mid April, lol.

Did you see the Eton mess last night? You'd think he could make himself presentable before he addresses the nation about a pandemic. At least I guess this means he hasn't been breaking lockdown by seeing a barber.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Did you see the Eton mess last night? You'd think he could make himself presentable before he addresses the nation about a pandemic. At least I guess this means he hasn't been breaking lockdown by seeing a barber.

The video of him and the chair killed me xD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It was almost worth suffering lockdown for that alone. Almost.

For the uninitiated...

That's just cruel, Amina....I had just gotten his blonde brother across the pond out of my head...!

* I was not quite awake, and the screen was small, that mask was strange... so at first thought it actually was a monkey with a blonde wig. lol

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

Bored this morning. Wandered in here for the first time in a while. Notice there's a COVID 2.0 thread, which would indicate the long-running thread I started is defunct. Checked that. Ahhhh, yes. Usual suspects, doing the usual things, after having been told repeatedly "please don't" (paraphrasing). Going into Year 2 of this pandemic, I'm glad Rat started 2.0 here, because (some) people do need a place to rant, sigh, blow off steam and sometimes even cry... AND laugh about this situation we are all in. :::raises a coffee beverage to Rat::: Thanks for restarting this, and I wish you good luck in keeping the usual suspects doing their usual things at bay.  :::tosses COVID 1.0 on the pyre with many, many good, long-standing threads:::

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Bored this morning. Wandered in here for the first time in a while. Notice there's a COVID 2.0 thread, which would indicate the long-running thread I started is defunct. Checked that. Ahhhh, yes. Usual suspects, doing the usual things, after having been told repeatedly "please don't" (paraphrasing). Going into Year 2 of this pandemic, I'm glad Rat started 2.0 here, because (some) people do need a place to rant, sigh, blow off steam and sometimes even cry... AND laugh about this situation we are all in. :::raises a coffee beverage to Rat::: Thanks for restarting this, and I wish you good luck in keeping the usual suspects doing their usual things at bay.  :::tosses COVID 1.0 on the pyre with many, many good, long-standing threads:::

WB, as they say in-world.

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

At least everyone else has a place they can vent. For me, it doesn't matter if it's RL or online, I'm supposed to keep it all in and not let any pain of any kind show. Apparently, I'm not supposed to have any emotions or even be human. 

I must be insane since I wake up every morning hoping things will be different. Or, if I'm lucky, I'll wake up one morning and it will all have been a horrific nightmare in the tradition of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. 

I've never had a thread (in over 20 years) last more than about 3 pages so you've definitely accomplished far more than I ever have.

Yes, I am assuming I'm one of the ones you referred to as a "usual suspect" since I was one of the last ones to post. I never realized what a horrible person I really am until now. I'm sorry.

• Confused 1

I continue to study how a country like Bhutan managed to have so few deaths from Covid (only 1), in hopes that with future plagues, or the continuaton of this one, we can model our responses (as much as possible) after theirs.

How Bhutan has kept COVID-19 at bay

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/how-bhutan-has-kept-covid-19-at-bay/

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/02/coronavirus-pandemic-bhutan/617976/

57 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I continue to study how a country like Bhutan managed to have so few deaths from Covid (only 1), in hopes that with future plagues, or the continuaton of this one, we can model our responses (as much as possible) after theirs.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/how-bhutan-has-kept-covid-19-at-bay/

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/02/coronavirus-pandemic-bhutan/617976/

The US is a nation of cowboys and cowgirls. I don't think we're likely to develop the Bhutanese sense of shared sacrifice any time soon.

Once again...
image.jpeg.74e9177009d642a893257b3fba91ab00.jpeg

• Like 4

The police came around two years ago to give out marker ink for tagging bicycles and laptops, so if you get burgled, you have a chance of maybe getting your stuff back. I gave them my email address so now I'm on the Neighbourhood Watch email list, and they just sent a Happy Purim email - but with the warning that the rules still apply and you'll get arrested if you break them :/

It's a bit weird - it's usually a noisy and lively time around where I live, but realised this is the second year it's been a wash-out. I hadn't really thought about any of this in terms of anniversaries, it feels quite odd and unreal to be almost exactly 'one year later'.

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Expand  

The US is a nation of cowboys and cowgirls. I don't think we're likely to develop the Bhutanese sense of shared sacrifice any time soon.

Once again...
image.jpeg.74e9177009d642a893257b3fba91ab00.jpeg

lol....I keep advising that people meditate, but it doesn't do any good.

I keep advising myself to meditate more, and it doesn't get any good.

(meditation being a way to get rid of this excessive sense of separated self us Westerners possess)

Yes, we're forked.

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, we're forked.

Are we?

Bhutan's government officially targets "Gross National Happiness" as a goal. I think the concept dates from the early days of the EU. I've been fascinated by it.

Although happiness is a prime focus of the Bhutanese government, Bhutan ranked 95 out of 156 in the 2019 World Happiness Report. The US ranked 19th that year. Finland was #1 (also in 2018 and 2020). Finland's Covid-19 infection rate is 500x higher than Bhutan's.

Ain't nuthin as it seems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Are we?

Bhutan's government officially targets "Gross National Happiness" as a goal. I think the concept dates from the early days of the EU. I've been fascinated by it.

Although happiness is a prime focus of the Bhutanese government, Bhutan ranked 95 out of 156 in the 2019 World Happiness Report. The US ranked 19th that year. Finland was #1 (also in 2018 and 2020). Finland's Covid-19 infection rate is 500x higher than Bhutan's.

Ain't nuthin as it seems.

I was watching a video on them earlier.. They are surrounded by like 70% dense forest and mountains, their population is almost 777,000.. They have tried to keep out a lot of the modern western world from coming in.. But cell phones and computers and the internet are taking hold.. Archery is their number one sport ,which may be getting threatened by the younger generation enjoying computers and more modern things..

Another neat thing I seen was, even brand new buildings have to be painted in traditional style..

They had one stop light but took it out because it was too modern..

It was a pretty neat video..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I was watching a video on them earlier.. They are surrounded by like 70% dense forest and mountains, their population is almost 777,000.. They have tried to keep out a lot of the modern western world from coming in.. But cell phones and computers and the internet are taking hold.. Archery is their number one sport ,which may be getting threatened by the younger generation enjoying computers and more modern things..

Another neat thing I seen was, even brand new buildings have to be painted in traditional style..

They had one stop light but took it out because it was too modern..

It was a pretty neat video..

I've seen videos of Bhutan as well.

I'd summarize it as "A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

That says as much about me as Bhutan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've seen videos of Bhutan as well.

I'd summarize it as "A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

That says as much about me as Bhutan.

I really think that would be a nice place to visit for sure.. I would love to go there after seeing  just what I seen from the video..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't think I feel like that either.. hehehe

From what I've experienced, via stories from women I've known, there's a different kind of individualism and independence in your area of the country (Appalachia and surrounding areas) compared to say, the Texas kind. 

We have a large Bhutanese population in Ohio.  Apparently, Bhutan is

not the best place to live so I'm wondering just how accurate their statistics could be.

Why are individuals fleeing from Bhutan?

Most Bhutanese refugees are part of a minority, ethnic Nepali group called Lhotsampa who had been living in Bhutan for decades. This group was targeted during an ethnic cleansing in the 1980’s by the majority and ruling ethnic group, Druk. In 1990, protests for democracy led to the arrest and torture of activists and the Bhutanese government expelled all Lhotsampas from Bhutan.  Individuals fled to Nepal and West Bengal but were neither able to attain citizenship nor return to Bhutan. Many seek resettlement in a third country, such as the United States, and have spent years, even decades, in refugee camps in Nepal.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.