COVID rants /shares 2.0 thread

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Ditto on the 2-day arm pain - that is the only issue I had.

I've read numerous articles that say the second dose - of either vaccine - is far worse for reactions.

Same here - and now I've been asked to book my second shot, so guess I will soon find out.

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've read numerous articles that say the second dose - of either vaccine - is far worse for reactions.

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Same here - and now I've been asked to book my second shot, so guess I will soon find out.

I had my second dose of Astra Zeneca over a week ago the side effects i had after the first jab felt far worse than what i had with the second jab

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I had my second dose of Astra Zeneca over a week ago the side effects i had after the first jab felt far worse than what i had with the second jab

Hmm - I wonder if that is common with that particular vaccine.  The US isn't using that one. What I've heard - about Moderna & Pfizer - is that if you've already had Covid, then the first dose will likely cause the most sever reaction.  Whereas if you haven't yet had Covid, then the second dose will.  

Although recent years have seen teen suicides increase from horrid to even more horrid numbers, 2020 doesn't appear measurably worse than 2019. Emergency mental health numbers seem messier, but often overstated by citing them as a percentage of overall claim counts, dramatically reduced in 2020 (patients avoided hospitals and beds filled with longer duration COVID stays).

It's too early to be sure the pandemic really didn't increase mental health problems, not merely displace other causes, but currently there are no good grounds for the oft-cited claims there's been a big wave of suicides. The article mentions that such claims can be used to make political points or to encourage unwise changes to pandemic response. I've also worried that those claims themselves could cause additional suicides.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Although recent years have seen teen suicides increase from horrid to even more horrid numbers, 2020 doesn't appear measurably worse than 2019. Emergency mental health numbers seem messier, but often overstated by citing them as a percentage of overall claim counts, dramatically reduced in 2020 (patients avoided hospitals and beds filled with longer duration COVID stays).

It's too early to be sure the pandemic really didn't increase mental health problems, not merely displace other causes, but currently there are no good grounds for the oft-cited claims there's been a big wave of suicides. The article mentions that such claims can be used to make political points or to encourage unwise changes to pandemic response. I've also worried that those claims themselves could cause additional suicides.

I would think domestic violence would be up more than suicides.  24/7 with ANYONE gets on one's nerves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmm - I wonder if that is common with that particular vaccine.  The US isn't using that one. What I've heard - about Moderna & Pfizer - is that if you've already had Covid, then the first dose will likely cause the most sever reaction.  Whereas if you haven't yet had Covid, then the second dose will.  

I've just listened to something that said younger women are more adversely effected.  Time will tell as I'm still waiting on my first.  Let's hope it's an upside to being older...no side effects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I would think domestic violence would be up more than suicides.  24/7 with ANYONE gets on one's nerves.

There is a fair amount of statistical evidence to suggest that this Is, in fact, exactly the case.

Part of the problem too is that the pandemic has made it much more difficult to get help, find safe shelter, and so on. Many women are essentially trapped in abusive relationships because the old routes to escape have been closed down or are already overburdened. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Here in Ontario the Globe and Mail reported on a sharp increase of train jumpers:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-suicides-on-the-ttc-have-risen-sharply-over-the-last-eight-months/

And the Tnc news as well as a few others reporting that suicide victims with Covid are reported as covid deaths rather than as a suicide"

https://tnc.news/2020/12/13/ontario-counts-suicide-victims-as-covid-19-fatalities/

which makes it a little difficult to determine actual numbers with any accuracy but based on many crisis hotlines being swamped with calls too, probably fair to say the suicides are currently underreported in Ontario at least.

12 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

And this from around the same time pointing out

Demand for services has only grown in the past year. The Canada Suicide Prevention Service said calls went up 200 per cent in October of last year, compared to the same period the previous year.

Other Suicide prevention services are also reporting increased calls so it does not make sense that actual suicides have dropped. The news story I posted previously about some of the suicides being  joined to Covid death statistics, is the more likely explanation for the apparent decline. It is understandable in a way as suicide stories have such a propensity to be followed by copycat cases.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And this from around the same time pointing out

Demand for services has only grown in the past year. The Canada Suicide Prevention Service said calls went up 200 per cent in October of last year, compared to the same period the previous year.

Other Suicide prevention services are also reporting increased calls so it does not make sense that actual suicides have dropped. The news story I posted previously about some of the suicides being  joined to Covid death statistics, is the more likely explanation for the apparent decline. It is understandable in a way as suicide stories have such a propensity to be followed by copycat cases.

Then your suicide prevention/crisis  centers seem to be working as intended.  

• Like 1

Are you people really arguing over suicide rates? 

Maybe suicides are up in one area, down in another, and the same in another.

Does it really matter?  Suicides in general have been climbing over the last couple of decades and that is all that really matters.  It is a trend that needs to be figured out and reversed.

Most of the time studies & reports are slanted towards whoever is paying for the study and/or writing the story.

Sometimes I think people here argue a point simply because the point was made by someone they don't like and/or someone that often makes comments they disagree with.

Yes, I'm cranky about that particular topic.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If I continue to see you post nonsense in this Covid thread I might consider suicide myself... 😁

in spite of lot of fights and disagreements on this forum, this is about the most distastefull remark i encountered in all the years i'm here.. simply disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sometimes I think people here argue a point simply because the point was made by someone they don't like and/or someone that often makes comments they disagree with.

Yes, I'm cranky about that particular topic.

Never consider someone else an enemy and you won't have that problem...

Yogananda respond to the world.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

it's about posting inaccurate or misleading information.  Nothing more.  It's not my fault it's coming from the same source repeatedly.

Well if you would stop posting links to the false and misleading sources you like to use in this thread, there wouldn't be the problem. :)

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Never consider someone else an enemy and you won't have that problem...

Yogananda respond to the world.png

Oh my, you should maybe read that before you post your responses. What might be nonsense for you is my reality as I know more people who have died as a result of suicides than I have of Covid in the past year.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Oh my, you should maybe read that before you post your responses. What might be nonsense for you is my reality as I know more people who have died as a result of suicides than I have of Covid in the past year.

I believe you are simply trying to drum up more evidence for "the lockdowns are worse for society than Covid" mindset we see all over the right-wing rags. This mindset is dangerous as it actually puts more people in danger when lockdowns are deemed wrong in all situations and not managed properly.

If you are actually concerned about what you believe are increased suicides perhaps you should research more carefully and not take as truth the right-wing media reports (yes, your source was a right-wing Canadian source). Check official and scientific stats.

• Like 2

Look, I brought up the suicide thing because I've been feeling very uncomfortable with the topic being treated as simplistically as most sources, across all "stripes" of media. Suicide is tragic, and the statistics on suicide are always messy, especially attributing any specific source to trends, and the trends have been catastrophic for the past decade or so.

What makes me particularly uncomfortable, though, is the risk of "self-fulfilling prophecy": suicides caused by a well-intentioned "awareness" that unintentionally confers a kind of social license, normalizing the act. This, too, is tricky to analyze. Self-reported "causes" of attempted suicide are pretty much meaningless in the aggregate, and again causes of an aggregate trend are nearly impossible to establish, including trying to pin down "copycat" events.

What we actually know, now, is that any claims of a broad suicide crisis stemming from the pandemic are not grounded in enough data to make any points. Instead, the weakness of the data undermines whatever argument the claims are supposed to support. Biden has made that mistake, as well as plenty of folks on the right, and they'd all be wiser to stop.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well if you would stop posting links to the false and misleading sources you like to use in this thread, there wouldn't be the problem. :)

Most of my sources have not been found to be false or misleading, Arielle.  Yours have by others.  Not just me.  

I'm realizing, sadly, that you're not interested in facts or researching YOUR facts.  You just post the first thing you find to back your erroneous position.  Well, I'm done with you.  Most people here seem to see your posts for what they are and I have no desire to keep banging my head on the wall trying to get you to understand. 

You're not just wrong a lot of the time, you're dangerous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There is a fair amount of statistical evidence to suggest that this Is, in fact, exactly the case.

Part of the problem too is that the pandemic has made it much more difficult to get help, find safe shelter, and so on. Many women are essentially trapped in abusive relationships because the old routes to escape have been closed down or are already overburdened. 

Puerto Rico declared a State of Emergency due to the increase in femicide.  Domestic abuse on the U.S. front has turned deadly as well, some areas worse than others.

I, after 26 years in two long relationships one right after the other, have loved being single again for the past 5 years although I had a casual rl bf but nothing serious.  With Covid, I have not even felt like hugging someone.  I prefer to keep my distance.  I had a boyfriend who moved across the country about four months before Covid and I'm glad as it would have caused all kinds of strain with me not wanting to kiss or hug even.   It's a sad situation, divorces are on the rise.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I believe you are simply trying to drum up more evidence for "the lockdowns are worse for society than Covid" mindset we see all over the right-wing rags. This mindset is dangerous as it actually puts more people in danger when lockdowns are deemed wrong in all situations and not managed properly.

Politics is your deal, the entire lens through which you seem to see all of life. It isn't mine. To me politicians are all full of crap and will say whatever it is to get themselves or their party reelected and benefiting whatever donors helped them get where they are. You ought to try the advice you so readily put out to others and follow the money. 

As far as what "rags' I read, well maybe you ought to try that too. Getting a different look and an alternative viewpoint might benefit us all. Maybe even save a few lives. There is good evidence that nutrition, exercise, and some repurposed drugs  could have saved a lot of people from dying prematurely but the closed mindedness of many, made any of those options laughable or downright illegal. What we are experiencing at this time in terms of the pandemic, is exactly the way you and your kind wanted it to go, so you (collectively) can take full responsibility for the state we are in.

If you are actually concerned about what you believe are increased suicides perhaps you should research more carefully and not take as truth the right-wing media reports (yes, your source was a right-wing Canadian source). Check official and scientific stats.

Again, left, right, I don't care. I go where there is fresh information presented. The media on one side is very select in what it reports and follows a narrative to such a degree that the very adjectives it uses to describe certain things has a commonality that is just draw dropping in its similarity to propaganda. A case in point is the rare blood clotting of one of the vaccines. Plenty of alternative English words that could be used to describe the same thing and yet, every media site you or Rowan promote, says it the exact same way. So I go look for sites that have something new and unique to say and is not just following the same script as a 100 others. If you or any others don't like the things I post, feel free to block me. That is always the option here isn't it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.