Tracker HUDs

AltynTagh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do tracker HUDs people use generally track by legacy name or UUID? I saw somewhere they use an LSL string but wasnt sure if it uses name or UUID. I have an ex that tracks all of my avs. Wondering if I change my legacy name if that will kill their ability to track me. Please dont tell me things like you should report them blah blah...i just want to live my SL in peace. I’m aware what they are doing is against ToS. I am not interested in starting a whole wave of crap. I just want to remove my track ability from them.

Edited by AltynTagh
Mislabeled UUID

I know for a fact they can track not only online status but location of any avatar that they know about. I just dont know if the HUD they have uses the name or UUID. I’m thinking name, because I know they have tracked avs they have never met. I know they can track location, bc I have had them show up at sims I have been to that they would never have known about apart from a HUD and they admitted to me they can track people

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AltynTagh said:

I know for a fact they can track not only online status but location of any avatar that they know about. I just dont know if the HUD they have uses the name or UUID. I’m thinking name, because I know they have tracked avs they have never met. I know they can track location, bc I have had them show up at sims I have been to that they would never have known about apart from a HUD and they admitted to me they can track people

They can't track your location only your online status.  Unless you are wearing an item they gave you that has that script inside.  Most seem to track by UUID.  If someone knew your original name, they will know your UUID.  I have one.  Even when a friend changes their name, it still shows their old name on the tracker.

Tracking someone's online status is not against ToS.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 6

Rowan, you are naive and wrong if you believe that. They have never given me any object to track me with but have twice shown up at sims they would have no way of knowing apart from a tracker of some kind. Aside from that, they fully admitted to me they can track my avs

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, AltynTagh said:

Rowan, you are naive and wrong if you believe that. They have never given me any object to track me with but have twice shown up at sims they would have no way of knowing apart from a tracker of some kind. Aside from that, they fully admitted to me they can track my avs

You could keep saying that, or you could accept that it's not possible, and in case they are actually tracking that it's by an object in the sim or on your avatar. Doing the latter would allow you to actually fix the problem, which changing your legacy name won't.

• Like 3

Tracking locations with LSL scripts is technically impossible in that sense. Yes it is possible when its a attachment or you are in the same sim as in the script. So they are using a other way. Most likely a bot or alt.
First off, in your friends list... remove "can locate on map" from everyone and see if that helps. If it does then someone in your friends list is the cause of your problem.

If it doesn't, they may be using bots that go from sim to sim and collect avatar names (including UUID's). If that is the case. There isn't much you can do apart from reporting it to LL. If they manage to setup a custom viewer or bot that does this then changing your name wont fool them.

I literally have had them show up to two sims i was at on an alt, that was not a sim they knew about. My av wasnt wearing any objects granting them permission. They literally have a hid that tells them the status as well as location of any av they want to track. I was hoping someone here would know the answer to my question, but clearly you all only live in your deluded world of “it can’t happen” I promise you it can. I’ve seen it.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AltynTagh said:

My av wasnt wearing any objects granting them permission.

Try some experiments to verify not only the above, but also to rule out a few other things:

1. Go into your viewer's Avatar menu and change into one of the two Default Test avatars (or go into the Avatar toolbar and select one of the starter avatars).
  2. Ensure that for every single person on your contacts list, you have unchecked the 'can see location on map' option. This includes any and all alts that you have.
  3. If you don't have any of your alts friended, add one before the next step. Remember to disallow them viewing your map location. Log that account into the SL website so they can see their Friends Online list.
  4. If your viewer allows RLV, disable it, then relog. (If you're currently under RLV restrictions, you will need to log out first, then disable it while logged out.)
  5. Now teleport around - with RLV disabled and in one of those starter avatars.
  6. When teleporting, only visit EMPTY regions. Don't go anywhere that you see green dots on the map. Try ocean regions with names first of all.
  7. Still following you? Next step, if you're using any viewer other than the Linden Lab stock viewer, download that stock viewer and log in using that. Same starter avatar.
  8. At regular points throughout this, have the alt who is logged into the SL website reload the page that lists their online contacts? Do you show up as online? If so, is your name showing as a green link? If so, hover over it. It will show the region where you're located.

If step 8 is happening - despite your having done everything else - then you need to raise the issue in a ticket to LL.

• Like 4

You people are stupid if you dont think it is possible for someone to use a HUD to track online status and location of an AV. I am telling you I have seen them do it in several situations. I promise it’s a real thing. It amazes me that so many of you still disbelieve its validity 

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Here's the thing: there is simply no LSL function that can do in a script what you claim is happening. There are, however, other ways your location could be tracked, and @Skell Dagger explored the underpinnings of most of them. To restate as questions the easiest ways (assuming you never wear any attachments):

• Do you use a viewer with RLV enabled?
  • Do you use a common viewer? The Linden viewer?

The next level of complexity requires that the places you visit be complicit in the tracking (assuming you're only visiting places with no other avatars present):

• Do those places use media or audio, parcel or shared, and do you ever have those enabled in your viewer?
  • (this one shouldn't matter, but did, historically) Do you use voice?

[ETA: Obviously, if the visited places are really complicit, they could provide the location of all visitors with a very simple script, but I think we exhausted that possibility in many earlier posts. I mentioned parcel and Shared Media and Audio because they could theoretically reveal the presence of a "tracked" avatar without the region owner being aware that the information is leaking. Of course the same could happen with region-resident scripts without the region owner's knowledge, so if it came to that, we'd need to explore what scripted objects are common among these regions. (Like, oh, say, vampire or "voodoo" content, ahem.)]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, AltynTagh said:

You people are stupid if you dont think it is possible for someone to use a HUD to track online status and location of an AV. I am telling you I have seen them do it in several situations. I promise it’s a real thing. It amazes me that so many of you still disbelieve its validity 

"We people" are perfectly well aware that online status can be tracked. That feature is built into the viewer itself (e.g. groups), and has many useful LSL functions such as online status boards in stores to let customers know when support people are available to help them.

What shouldn't be trackable - and what both I and Qie are trying to get you to actively check for - is someone's location. There is almost always a reason for why someone can get hold of your location, which has been covered here. If this person has found another way then it may need to be reported to LL as a potential bug or security issue.

If you're going to refute all suggestions that are being offered for you to try, and simply tell those of us who are trying to help you that we're all stupid, then don't expect to get much more in the way of assistance from anyone else who may come along and read this thread.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, AltynTagh said:

Usually when people get extremely defensive and go on the attack about something like this, it is because they don't want to admit that they messed up and somehow allowed the other person to track them in some way.

The people responding to you here -- telling you that you can only be tracked via specific methods that require you to have allowed it -- have been in SL for over a decade.  These people are not stupid.

• Like 8

It's not difficult to track where a person is in world if the person is even moderately clumsy and predictable.  Most of us tend to hang on in the same small set of regions most of the time, so all a tracker needs to do is visit those places repeatedly and look for your green dot to show up on radar.  If the tracker knows who a few of your friends are, or is in groups that you belong to, or if you have put enough clues in your profile or message feed, it's even easier.  Unless your alt leads a completely different life and avoids your familiar hangouts and friends, the tracker can find her just as easily as he finds you.  No real hi-tech magic needed.  That's the way police and detectives in RL do it all the time.

I've been writing LSL scripts for 14 years now, so I can assure you that Qie and all the others are telling you the truth. The only ways to script a device that can track you are (1) to plant a device on your av or (2) to plant devices (or bots) in each of the regions that you usually hang out in.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, AltynTagh said:

You people are stupid if you dont think it is possible for someone to use a HUD to track online status and location of an AV.

You can't hide your online status. There's no way around that.

You can hide your location, but that requires the right viewer, settings, attachments, but above all: social habits and discipline.

Years ago, when I was new I had a situation much like the OP describes. I was certain then that this man had a HUD or some device to track me with. It turned out he had a female alt he friended me with. I had no idea this person was him and that is how he knew when I was online and often where I was. This man harassing the OP sounds like a jerk and I wouldn't take anything a jerk says as gospel.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

You can't hide your online status. There's no way around that.

You can hide your location, but that requires the right viewer, settings, attachments, but above all: social habits and discipline.

I'm reading through this thread to try to understand this.  In this thread it says to make sure you turn off something or other where others can find you on a map.  So, I try to locate that and find it's grayed out on FS.  So, that finding you on the map thing doesn't work on FS, is that what you are saying by the "right viewer"?

This thread seems a bit "Psycho" to me, like a scary movie.  Why would someone want to follow an avatar around on a map?  Let alone why would someone create that function when there is a tp if you want someone to join you?   For one, don't they (people) have better things to do than follow people around on a map?  Plus stalking is psycho.  If the person doesn't want to be with you, they don't want to be with you.  You don't stalk them around.  That function should have never been put in to the viewer to begin with.

As far as a HUD that helps others locate you, to the OP, I've never heard of one.  I don't use RLV myself.  My online time is my own. 

You are better off reporting it but that is up to you.  

However, I don't see a way one can disable 'locate on map'.

13 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

I'm reading through this thread to try to understand this.  In this thread it says to make sure you turn off something or other where others can find you on a map.  So, I try to locate that and find it's grayed out on FS.  So, that finding you on the map thing doesn't work on FS, is that what you are saying by the "right viewer"?

It's not about using the right viewer (although Firestorm can be used). It's an account setting that can be changed without using any viewer. If you go here, you can click the little cog-wheel next to a friend's name and open the Permissions pop-up:

9bf48bc1a1.png

"See me on the map" is always disabled by default. You must enable it before anyone can find you on the map.

13 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

As far as a HUD that helps others locate you, to the OP, I've never heard of one.  I don't use RLV myself.  My online time is my own. 

RLV cannot track you or be used to spy on you in any way, that's a common misconception.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Finally the forum is letting me reply. First of all, let me apologize for my comment about people being stupid if they dont believe it is possible. All I meant was that I have personally seen them show up twice in the last 4 yrs to sims that are not part of a pattern for me. They have never had map rights to that avatar nor collared her nor given her any objects. In fact, they were not even in each other’s friends lists. That is why I am saying there has to be some other way they showed up where she was. This happened on 2 separate occasions 2 yrs apart from each other at sims I never frequent. @Skell Dagger@Qie NiangaoI will try your suggestions, but the av they followed only has my avs in her list and an RL friend of mine who didnt even know the people in question at the time of the first incident, so I am not sure any of that will make a difference. I really would not know if it even did make a difference because this has only happened twice in 4 yrs. it isnt a regular thing. It just annoys me to think they can. @LittleMe JewellI wasnt being defensive. I simply know without a doubt that it isnt the things being suggested and I have been in SL for 13 yrs myself and I’m also not stupid. I am not trying to be offensive either and that is why I apologized for my choice of words from the earlier post. I have been through all of the possible reasons in my head before making this post. @bobsknief Orsiniyour bot suggestion is interesting however. They have specifically pointed out bots to me actually around the time of the first incident claiming they thought maybe one of us was being followed. That is definitely one to consider. My av doesnt have land or a home really and I dont use her often. I just would like to sometimes and it annoys me to think they would know things like that just because they can and that there really isnt much I can do about it. Which was why I was wondering about the name change in the first place. I had a feeling it wouldnt matter though. The alternative viewer suggestion could be possible too, if I am understanding you correctly. I have been told in the past that they use viewers that have nefarious purposes sometimes. 

thank you for all of the answers and suggestions. Sounds like no matter what I do they will always be able to tell if they want to, when I am on any of the avatars they know I have, which tracking location aside, is annoying enough in itself. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.