New clothes attach to hud instead of avatar

Lindsey Evergarden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

So I bought a top and a pair of hotpants for my avatar. Added them and it all looked great. But then I started getting questions about why I was naked.

Turns out the clothes hade attached to the hud, in my viewer it looked like I was dressed, but to everyone Elise I was naked.

Detached the clothes and manually reattached them to specific body parts, and they showed up alright to everyone.

But if I detach and reattach them, they attach to the hud again.

I've tried clearing the cache, but to no effect.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this?

Edited by Rockmus Spyker
Spelling

I am not sure how renaming the folders makes any difference. It shouldn't. Something else must have happened. As long as it works... Yay!

The typical fix is to put the clothes on and get them attached where you want them. When everything is as you want, take the clothes off, detach. This will force all the settings you just made to be saved into the asset database. When you put them back on, they should appear attached and positioned in the right places.

People often make changes then just go about their business in SL. Later they log off and the changes made never get saved. Next session things are messed up again as the old settings are retrieved from the database. Annoying.

Designers are often lazy in that they upload a piece they have worked on for days and never set the attachment point. Loads of clothes and attachments use the system's default attachment point, the right hand. Stacking everything on one attachment point should work, theoretically. It doesn't sometimes and a poor connection or a lagging region server will often fail to attach all the things stacked on a single attachment point. Even 2 or 3 things on a single point may have a problem.

With all new things, check the attachment point. If it is the right-hand, take it off and attach it to a place that makes sense. I make sure I do this with the original before I start making copies. It costs me a minute or two but avoids future problems.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

I am not sure how renaming the folders makes any difference. It shouldn't. Something else must have happened. As long as it works... Yay!

If you are on Firestorm, (and probably other RLV enabled viewers) if you put items into a folder that is/has a hud position name (top, bottom, etc) when you wear or add that item by double click it will attach to the HUD.   This is so that if a RLV command is used to dress you, the viewer knows where to put it.   And for various reasons, this also happens even when RLV is not enabled.

If you rename the folder, or move the item out of the folder with the 'special' name, since the object remembers the last attach position you have to manually point it to a valid spot on the body itself the first time to reset it. 

This is has bitten me and a couple of people I know and it's hard to figure because it's not intuitive. 

History: 

When RLV was first being developed, there had to be a way to tell the viewer where to put an object when scripts tried to dress you.  The preferred method was to rename the object/clothing with the name of location in parenthesis (ie: shoes(feet)).  but with no mod items you can't rename so the work around was to make a folder with the attach point name and put the item in there.

After a time, object started to 'remember' what slot they were last attached on and no special rules are required for telling RLV where to put things, but the old code is still there for reasons. 

So now, if you put that cute shirt in a folder named "top" it'll attach to your HUD be default.  all the time. unless you explicitly tell it otherwise.

(edit to add) in a perfect world, this should only apply to folders inside the #RLV branch of inventory,  but it appears to take hold globally and so, the take away is to not name any folders with wearable with HUD positions names (as listed in the "attach to..." menu)).

Edited by Anna Salyx
  • Thanks 2

I think if you ADD clothing items, they attach correctly. If YOU choose what part of your body to attach them to, you run into problems, mainly because other things, not neccessarily clothes, are attached to different parts of your body. For example, my earrings are attached to my right hand, because my glasses are attached to my ears. So if I select WEAR and want my earrings to be attached to my ears, either my earrings or my glasses are going to wind up looking crazy, because there is a limit to how many attachments can be on the same place. I advise you in the future to always ADD and let the clothes attach where they may. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.