I think I play too much Second Life

TT120

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Driving home from work yesterday, I saw a flat square parcel for sale along a main road and I thought that it looked about the size of a 1024 plot, 32 x 32 meters and flat.  1x protected roadside mainland plot.  I mentally went over my inventory thinking which house would fit there and how I could buy it without increasing my tier.....SMH.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I know I have been too immersed in SL when I looked at the mirror one morning and was panicking because I could not see that squiggly dragon-looking tattoo icon to my right that will apply a makeup layer on my face :fml:

OR when I see a nice furniture staging somewhere and think to myself things like “Is that from Loft&Aria? Will that go on sale this weekend for L$60?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

I know I have been too immersed in SL when I looked at the mirror one morning and was panicking because I could not see that squiggly dragon-looking tattoo icon to my right that will apply a makeup layer on my face :fml:

OR when I see a nice furniture staging somewhere and think to myself things like “Is that from Loft&Aria? Will that go on sale this weekend for L$60?”

Curious, is there a working mirror in SL?

As far as I know, you can make a “mirror” using projectors but it will only reflect a 360 degree photo of the reflection (e.g. the room). It will not reflect moving things including yourself so it gives me vampire vibes.

You can see this effect on the puddle:

Midnight.thumb.png.c0de22c58215dfde9d5157040fe9d4f0.png

Here are two tutorials on how to create a mirror:

https://modemworld.me/2018/05/12/projectors-as-mirrors-in-second-life/

http://www.lokieliot.com/blog/?p=3297#content-wrapper

Edited by Yuumo Ichibara
Added link to tutorial
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Peotyre said:

Curious, is there a working mirror in SL?

sort of

Linden water is a reflective surface. Which with EEP can be turned into a stable reflective floor. Or we can orient the build (and sit animations) 90 degrees so that 1 wall of our build is the water reflective surface

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

As far as I know, you can make a “mirror” using projectors but it will only reflect a photo of the reflection (e.g. the room). It will not reflect moving things including yourself so it gives me vampire vibes.

You can see this effect on the puddle:

Midnight.thumb.png.c0de22c58215dfde9d5157040fe9d4f0.png

Looking gud.. Vampire sure misses seeing themselves in mirror sometimes

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

sort of

Linden water is a reflective surface. Which with EEP can be turned into a stable reflective floor. Or we can orient the build (and sit animations) 90 degrees so that 1 wall of our build is the water reflective surface

Okay I'm not sure I can understand, did anyone ever make this?

On 2/18/2021 at 5:46 PM, Mollymews said:

sort of

I was gonna say, there has to be a way to do it with water.. I remember messing with that one day.. I may have even taken some shots.. I'll have to look..

• Like 1

Bruh this happened to me...whenever I FIRST find a new game, I have an addictive phase that eventually wears off. One day I woke up to my annooooooying alarm, and I was trying to do hand motions to "right click" my phone and delete the object.

...Yeah, was really weirded out when my phone didn't just magically disappear.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nyahrou said:

Bruh this happened to me...whenever I FIRST find a new game, I have an addictive phase that eventually wears off. One day I woke up to my annooooooying alarm, and I was trying to do hand motions to "right click" my phone and delete the object.

...Yeah, was really weirded out when my phone didn't just magically disappear.

At least you had been asleep and dreaming. 😬

I still occasionally catch myself just before I reach for a mouse that isn't there. I blame The Sims and other games I can build in for that, not just SL. 🤭

On 2/18/2021 at 12:55 PM, TT120 said:

Driving home from work yesterday, I saw a flat square parcel for sale along a main road and I thought that it looked about the size of a 1024 plot, 32 x 32 meters and flat.  1x protected roadside mainland plot.  I mentally went over my inventory thinking which house would fit there and how I could buy it without increasing my tier.....SMH.

I noticed a little pillow by my cat in RL and I thought, interesting, the black pillow is showing for him now but before it was the blue one (like on KittyCats). I then realized, wait, that can't be, RL cats do not generate little pillows when they nap. I thought I was hallucinating. I looked and realized somehow he had gotten an oven mitt in his paws and then slept on it. Whew, that was close...

Now that my son has his drone license in RL and is doing all these aerial real-estate shots, I find myself looking at those videos and feeling like I need to right-click and put that building in edit mode so I can slide it over a little more, give it more of a back yard...

The future is just here early for us.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, TT120 said:

I was in Google Earth yesterday and kept trying to pan the camera around with ctrl-alt-mouse. Then I remembered that it doesn't work that way.  2 minutes later, I'm trying it again....sheesh.

I had a job for years where I had to use Google Earth and I never, ever lost that wish. It was the damnedest thing. I even wrote to Google and asked if they could add that.

• Like 1

I'll never forget the time SNOOPYbrown Zamboni (Jerry Paffendorf in RL) was at the first SL meet-up in 2004, and he was on a panel with Philip Rosedale (he was Resident Futurist at the Electric Sheep and other jobs like that) and he stood up, and then walked around in a square to get up to the podium, like he was an avatar in SL. And everyone was laughing and Philip didn't see what the joke was at first I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.