Deploy Plan for the Week of 2021-02-15

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

No Roll

Second Life RC:

Version 2021-02-05.555747 to each of two channels called Apples and Oranges. This version has been quietly on Agni for the last week on a single host in a couple of different configurations; it has been successful enough we're now moving two of the configurations to more hosts to gather additional data as to whether changes we made to optimize performance are broadly successful.

Patch notes:

Release Notes

• Internal fixes aimed at optimizing performance

Scheduled Wednesday 2021-02-17 07:00-10:30 PST

On Region Restarts:

Check back soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

15 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

Second Life Server:

No Roll

Second Life RC:

Version 2021-02-05.555747 to each of two channels called Apples and Oranges. This version has been quietly on Agni for the last week on a single host in a couple of different configurations; it has been successful enough we're now moving two of the configurations to more hosts to gather additional data as to whether changes we made to optimize performance are broadly successful.

Patch notes:

Release Notes

• Internal fixes aimed at optimizing performance

Scheduled Wednesday 2021-02-17 07:00-10:30 PST

On Region Restarts:

Check back soon!

Serious question, are Apples and Oranges actual real channels, which are a subset of the larger number of regions included in the other RC channels?

I ask, because I own a parcel on a region named Agapema, and I bought there specifically BECAUSE it was on an RC channel. But it has not been restarted on any of several recent 'RC Channel' rollouts. Ever since the channel identification of regions was removed, I have depended on the day of the rollout to let me know that Agapema was still an RC channel. If it is not, I am faced with a big project to move that parcel elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Aditi is not meant for the sort of testing the main grid channels provide

Oh.  Fair enough, Solar, but I was told by a Linden years ago that Aditi WAS used for that purpose by LL QA.  Thinking back of course RC Snack was used for QA testing on occasions so you are probably correct.

4 hours ago, Aishagain said:

Oh.  Fair enough, Solar, but I was told by a Linden years ago that Aditi WAS used for that purpose by LL QA.  Thinking back of course RC Snack was used for QA testing on occasions so you are probably correct.

At one point the "Beta Grid" was used for all primary testing for Server Releases and the most stable of those were rolled to the Main Grid En Mass - there were no Agni side RC Regions/servers at the time.

Once they had the ability to restart specific sets of regions/servers and run different server versions across Agni, the three RC Region channels of the time were "born" (Blue Steel, Magnum and Le Tigre) - these were created specifically because there was no way whatsoever to properly test a server version on Aditi under the same conditions/load as they would see over on Agni.

Aditi is still called the Beta Grid more owing to its use by some creators and such for prototyping new products. In terms of server releases though it is more accurate to call it an Alpha Grid with the most stable versions being promoted to an Agni RC region as the "Beta" versions needing further testing in actual expected conditions before being rolled to Main Channel regions.

While your information is not wrong per se, it is somewhat incomplete in terms of function. No matter how it may be presented, the above is how it works.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aishagain said:

@Solar Legion Indeed what you say makes perfect sense, my information was way out of date and I made no claim to know the whole story, which you explain so that even a dope like me can follow it!

Funnily enough I was just adding an edit in to sum up my post and simplify it a bit more. I'll just include it here.

Aditi is essentially the Primary Bug Catcher system: The worst, most glaring bugs can occur there without causing too much damage to anything else - the sort of bugs that under Agni conditions would be absolutely catastrophic. The RC Regions of Agni are the Secondary segment: With the worst bugs squashed, a Server Release is now ready for the load and conditions of Agni and these Channels allow the Release to undergo stress testing to try and root out any bugs that were hiding - the sort that would only ever appear under 'normal' operating conditions.

An actually well thought out system for testing to be honest.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:36 PM, Myles Capalini said:

Serious question, are Apples and Oranges actual real channels, which are a subset of the larger number of regions included in the other RC channels?

I ask, because I own a parcel on a region named Agapema, and I bought there specifically BECAUSE it was on an RC channel. But it has not been restarted on any of several recent 'RC Channel' rollouts. Ever since the channel identification of regions was removed, I have depended on the day of the rollout to let me know that Agapema was still an RC channel. If it is not, I am faced with a big project to move that parcel elsewhere.  

My home parcel was on BlueSteel and rolled to 555747. Other BlueSteel regions I have LM'd stayed on 555570. Similarly for LeTigre - only 1 of my LMs rolled to new server. All of my Magnum LMs stayed on 555570. Only 3 of the 26 unattributed RC LMs I have rolled to 555747. Small sample, but looks like only a select few regions were rolled. We'll see next week if they roll it grid-wide or extend to more RC regions

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.