You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

About 11 years ago I was working for a big multinational that had acquired the startup where I'd been for several years, and decided I needed a job with more fun and more job satisfaction. I put out t

And now I'm crying again... Oz, I can't thank you enough for the mentorship, encouragement and friendship over the last 11 years.  I am so fortunate to consider you family and I am a better person for

Oz! It has been a great honor and privilege to have worked with you the past 11 years. I remember you coming in as a liaison for third party viewers during a time of great chaos in the TPV space.

Posted Images

Thanks for all you've done for Second Life, the things we users are privy to as well as a great deal that probably happened that we'll never hear about. Enjoy your retirement to it's fullest.

On 2/16/2021 at 2:12 PM, Oz Linden said:

About 11 years ago I was working for a big multinational that had acquired the startup where I'd been for several years, and decided I needed a job with more fun and more job satisfaction. I put out the word on my professional network and got a response from a colleague who was a Linden at the time. I interviewed with several people at the Lab (half my interviews were in-world using an account I'd had for some years), and after much thought I joined the Lab as the Director of Open Source. It turned out to be one of the best career decisions I ever made.

My job evolved over the years, but through it all I got to work with brilliant, passionate, and committed people and got to know many residents. I've never worked anywhere that was as much fun (a Linden who returned to SL after some time away said recently that he'd forgotten how often the SL team laughs in the course of a normal day). More importantly, I got to work on a product users really enjoy using and that makes a big difference in the lives of many of its users - for me there's no greater source of job satisfaction.

Some time ago, I reached the point that I could afford to think about retiring but decided to stay to finish moving SL to its new cloud platform. I can't imagine a better last act in my working life than ensuring that Second Life has this better platform for its future growth. Now that project is done (well, except for a few loose ends), and it's time for me to move on to the next phase of my life. 

I want to emphasize in the strongest possible terms: my decision has nothing at all to do with the change in ownership of the Lab; the timing really is a coincidence. If anything, I regret that I have overlapped with them for only a few weeks; in that time (and in the time leading up to the change) I have come to respect and appreciate the skills and energy they bring to the company.

There aren't many jobs that come with a new nickname; this got me one I'll always cherish, but it's time for me to set aside my Linden last name. I leave Second Life in great hands, and have every confidence that it has a great future. 

- Oz

PS. My official last day is Feb 26th.

When Cory Linden left some years ago, I thought the ground was going to crack open under our feet. Now I feel as if the sky will fall  : (

Be sure to come back on your alt to visit, and fix lots of things in your next position. Also there are a few Lindens who left and then came back -- so there's that...

P.S. Why is search still broken?

P.P.S. Will there be any Lindens left now with grey hair? I worry...

It's true if you stay in a company too long, they say, you'll become a lifer and then unfit for any other job and unable to leave. So since you did such a great job with SL, shepherding it through the cloud, not to mention EEP and all those other things named after various drinks, I have an idea for where you could go that really needs fixing and a lot of genius ideas....

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

When Cory Linden left some years ago, I thought the ground was going to crack open under our feet. Now I feel as if the sky will fall  : (

Be sure to come back on your alt to visit, and fix lots of things in your next position. Also there are a few Lindens who left and then came back -- so there's that...

P.S. Why is search still broken?

P.P.S. Will there be any Lindens left now with grey hair? I worry...

It's true if you stay in a company too long, they say, you'll become a lifer and then unfit for any other job and unable to leave. So since you did such a great job with SL, shepherding it through the cloud, not to mention EEP and all those other things named after various drinks, I have an idea for where you could go that really needs fixing and a lot of genius ideas....

I don't think Oz wants to be POTUS. 🤭

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I was thinking maybe CTO of the USPS.

While the USPS desperately needs some fixing, I would not wish that on anyone that I actually liked, no matter how well I thought he could do the job.  It would still be roughly the equivalent of Hell.

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While the USPS desperately needs some fixing, I would not wish that on anyone that I actually liked, no matter how well I thought he could do the job.  It would still be roughly the equivalent of Hell.

I love the USPS. I used to work there years ago. Remember Cory Linden worked for a time on the problem of digitalized music and the music industry's losses due to copyright theft. I believe he worked for Sony for a time. If anyone could fix the USPS, it would be Oz, as after working with SL for a decade, it would be a day at the beach. Maybe the USPS could pivot and become a virtual world. Also, the job of CTO at the White House isn't filled yet, is it? The reason I suggest government is that Oz seemed like he didn't want to work for a big corporation, and he had come to SL precisely for that reason. So government is another sector. Anyway,, wherever he goes, he will be a blessing.

• Like 2

I have such mixed feelings reading of your impending departure. I'm happy for you. I know how liberating retirement can be. But I also feel this big empty spot you'll be leaving in the Linden team. Many times when something was broken I took comfort knowing Oz would handle it.

Somehow I just can't believe you won't be here in our midst perhaps in the form of a brand new resident. In any case, I hope you have one spectacular retirement. You deserve it!

Thank you, Oz!

You jumped in at a time, that was not the easiest I guess, a time I've been skeptical over Second Life's future, a time the hype already has been over, a time Second Life Enterprise got dropped, a time with actual and foreseeable changes in the top management... for me, a time I stopped any SL related activities within my real life business.

But, it was also the time the Second Life 2.0 viewer got launched. Now a new leader? Someone who has no clue about what's going on, someone who doesn't understand Second Life? I didn't expect you to stay for longer than a year... (well, two or three maybe).

But I was wrong! Totally wrong!!! You did a great job and soon it was clear to me, Linden Lab has elected the right guy for this job. And looking back, he's got the perfect nickname, too. However, I never thought you will stay for 11 years, keep on a clear course and focus on a vision, that keeps the users happy. Congrats and a big thank you!

I wish you all the best and a great time in the upcoming future! 

Cheers 📣

Edited by Pius Noel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So ..  It takes Oz retiring to drag me out of Lurking on the forums for years and to finally make a post .

Farewell Oz, have a great time in your retirement. and don't forget the Memo to your successor;

"NO Mirrors in Second Life ! "

coz you know that at the very first TPV meeting after you leave , some joker will ask  your sucessor "  What about those Mirrors that Oz promised? " 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I learned so much from your TPV meetings. I came years ago to watch and hope Firestorm viewer  could/would succeed , which it has brilliantly of course, but stayed for the education.

Listening to you succinctly say why one of our beloved ideas  went against the laws of physics and/or how the platform should be engineered BUT and its the big "why-we-love-you BUT" you listened and said "make me a case to keep or try " our idea.

You listened.

Thanks for not killing "return to last position"; I'll be clicking that and thinking of you.

Best wishes, oodles of thanks and much respect.

P.S. I think "return to last position" will work for you too, you click your heels together .....

• Like 1

It made me sad to hear that you will retire and I will miss you.

I always felt how fully committed you are to SL and how much you care about the users.

Thank you for all you have done for SL, Oz! I will always keep you in good memory.

Enjoy the next phase of your life!

On behalf of MIRAI Group and the Virtual Existance Society, Thank you so much for your contributions to Mater Agni (SL) and to Virtual Worlds at large.  It's a deep shame that you have to leave us, but as the old saying goes - to all things an end must come. We pray for clear skies ahead for your future, Oz.

Edited by Rathgrith027
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.