Anim Hacker

Extrude Ragu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a utility to edit .anim files!

Wussis?

Anim Hacker is an Open-Source program for Windows that can read and edit SecondLife/Opensim *.anim Animation files.

Example uses

• Edit your animations and set per-joint priorities
  • Add/remove/edit joint motions from your animation
  • Add constraints to your animations

Screenshots

image.png.95dd67b7729cd45c6b119cbeaea1b303.png

image.png.58a4b9af959e47a40b074f0020e3da6b.png

image.png.4815ad04b7f3cb4199547b77c6729c47.png

Disclaimers

Anim hacker is in no way associated with Linden Lab, SecondLife or OpenSim. It is third party software.

Anim hacker is not professional software. It is written by a hobbyist. It is provided "as-is" without support. It will crash. It will not perform any kind of validation or sanity checks and is thus capable of writing invalid .anim files. It is easy to break your animations using Anim hacker. You are advised to keep backups of any file you will edit with Anim hacker.

Notes

This page provides a good insight into what all the various parameters mean.

Releases

Anim hacker is hosted on GitLab. Download the latest release here:

https://gitlab.com/big-bum-logistics/anim-hacker/-/releases

Have fun!

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

From seeing the pics provided and not actually using the software, maybe "decode" the 16 bit integers for position and rotation?

From my rough estimates, those are equiavalent to:

For +/- 5m position:

= ((# - 32767) / 32767) * 5

For +/- 180 degrees:

= DEGREES(ASIN((# - (# > 32767) - 32767) / 32767)) * 2

where # is the 16 bit integer.

This quickly done in Excel, FWIW...

Someone else may have a finer tuned calculation.

• 3 months later...

Version 0.2

Just a quick fix,

• Fix header modifications not saved
  • New 'Replace from file' function for Headers, Joint Motions and Constraints making it possible to frankenstein together anim files.

I didn't get around to decoding the position/rotation yet sorry, I did make a start and worked on a new vector editor but I have not yet had a day where I'm feeling brainy enough to deal with rotation quarternions

https://gitlab.com/big-bum-logistics/anim-hacker/-/releases/0.2

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 5/22/2021 at 6:23 AM, Extrude Ragu said:

Version 0.2

Just a quick fix,

• Fix header modifications not saved
  • New 'Replace from file' function for Headers, Joint Motions and Constraints making it possible to frankenstein together anim files.

I didn't get around to decoding the position/rotation yet sorry, I did make a start and worked on a new vector editor but I have not yet had a day where I'm feeling brainy enough to deal with rotation quarternions

https://gitlab.com/big-bum-logistics/anim-hacker/-/releases/0.2

Did you ever get around to doing this? I know this is nearly a year old at this point but I'm VERY intrigued at the possibilities this can enable and I'd love to have the decoded integer functionality.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is awesome, Extrude!  I was really hoping I could use it because I have some animations that have long ease out values, so they don't transition smoothly... as well as some that I really need to change the priority on. This looks very promising!

I tried to use WineBottler to wrap it and Wine to play with it on my Mac. Is the .exe the installer or the actual program? Unfortunately, I get a "Bad CPU type in executable" in the debug report if I try to treat it as either type. Would it be possible to package it for use this way? It looks like there are options for the developer to use it in that manner. I am happy to test it out for you, if needed.

1 hour ago, Dreamscaped Dagger said:

I have some animations that have long ease out values, so they don't transition smoothly... as well as some that I really need to change the priority on.

Not meaning to thread steal, but my animation converter can do both of those things and runs on all operating systems that can compile c source code. It's still very early stages though, and not made to be user-friendly. Also, you may need to set the VERBOSE constant to true to avoid it crashing. . .

https://gitlab.com/Quillia/anim-converter

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dreamscaped Dagger said:

I tried to use WineBottler to wrap it and Wine to play with it on my Mac. Is the .exe the installer or the actual program?

The exe is the actual program

Unfortunately I do not own any apple hardware so I can't test or find a solution for you, but 'Bad CPU Type' sounds like an issue with it wanting either 32bit or 64bit and getting the other.

Similar issue mentioned about a different bit of software mentioned over here https://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28354 sounds like it doesn't like 32bit programs

It has been a busy 24 hours with SL19B wrapping up, so I'm just getting back to this... 🎉

23 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The exe is the actual program

Unfortunately I do not own any apple hardware so I can't test or find a solution for you, but 'Bad CPU Type' sounds like an issue with it wanting either 32bit or 64bit and getting the other.

Similar issue mentioned about a different bit of software mentioned over here https://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28354 sounds like it doesn't like 32bit programs

Thanks for the feedback @Extrude Ragu! It seemed that Wine was supposed to handle that conversion as part of the setup (as this is a pretty common need).  I tried a few different options on the bottler UI, but still no luck.

Digging around a bit more, it looks like 32 bit support might have been phased out and Wine/WineBottler may only be compatible with prior MacOS versions (like High Sierra) - yay!  Luckily, I do have an old Mac that I might try this on later.  If that is not successful, then I may look into using a VM tool or bootcamp because I have no reliable Windows machines on hand, or I will try the converter Quistess linked. I have many paths to choose from at this point!

23 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I built this version for 64bit CPU so it might solve the issue on your mac. For some reason this build is launching with a console window also, no idea why but otherwise seems to work  OK

I really appreciate you trying another method. In this instance, I can see a window briefly appear, then disappear when I try to open the download, but nothing happens after that. I was hoping Wine would be the magic key to using your program, which looks very easy to use and comprehensive! I will check out the other routes when I have more time to poke around.

Thanks for your assistance!

On 7/10/2022 at 11:13 AM, Quistess Alpha said:

Not meaning to thread steal, but my animation converter can do both of those things and runs on all operating systems that can compile c source code. It's still very early stages though, and not made to be user-friendly. Also, you may need to set the VERBOSE constant to true to avoid it crashing. . .

https://gitlab.com/Quillia/anim-converter

@Quistess Alpha Thanks for the link! I will see if I can get Xcode installed to compile C (in verbose mode) and do some more reading on how to do this. I'm not entirely familiar with doing many actions via the command terminal (so it is best that I do not), but if you have any docs/white pages on how to use the Anim Converter from an end user perspective, I would be most appreciative! It sounds very promising. I found some docs online, but they are a few years old and your commits look to be very recent.

Much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Dreamscaped Dagger said:

I really appreciate you trying another method. In this instance, I can see a window briefly appear, then disappear when I try to open the download, but nothing happens after that. I was hoping Wine would be the magic key to using your program, which looks very easy to use and comprehensive! I will check out the other routes when I have more time to poke around.

Thanks for your assistance!

Hrmm.. I wonder if that might be related to what I was experiencing with console window popping up, mystery 🤔

I'm a bit tight for time this week but I may have a poke at it at some point if I get the chance

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wendy Nitely said:

Version 0.5 doesnt launch for me on my Windows 10 64bit machine. I havent tried an earlier version.

I honestly could not tell you what's going on there, I am also running Windows 10 64bit and runs OK.

Maybe the error is being logged. Try running AnimHacker.exe (I know it will fail to launch) but then immediately after:

1. Open Event Viewer
    (Press Start, type 'Event Viewer' to search. Open Event Viewer in the results)
  2. In the left hand panel, navigate to Windows Logs > Application
  3. See if any errors are reported around the time you launched the application

If there are please post them as it will give me an idea of what is going wrong :)

Another possibility that comes to my mind is that an antivirus program may be blocking it. I'm not rich enough to afford a code signing certificate so some third party anti-viruses might not trust the software and block it, if you have a third party AV installed check it's not blocking it from running

I set the antivirus to "trust" the app.

There are 2 messages

Fault bucket 1346192947968145127, type 5
Event Name: MoAppCrash
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.Windows.Apprep.ChxApp_1000.19041.1023.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
P2: praid:App
P3: 10.0.19041.423
P4: 0431d1e3
P5: KERNELBASE.dll
P6: 10.0.19041.1826
P7: 299341e8
P8: 88985004
P9: 000000000010fb62
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1D92.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1E2F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1E40.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1E3E.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1E7D.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Microsoft.Window_835c3496ff22d4e663b43e1baed26e5918c06423_81189fd8_30ffc175-0903-4431-8a34-e8e03e7990dd

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: f88e66e4-36c1-4a25-b82b-6b353beb4930
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: ba910c2fe60c669332aea35a8ec6f6e7
Cab Guid: 0

Fault #2

Faulting application name: CHXSmartScreen.exe, version: 10.0.19041.423, time stamp: 0x0431d1e3
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1826, time stamp: 0x299341e8
Exception code: 0x88985004
Fault offset: 0x000000000010fb62
Faulting process id: 0x13678
Faulting application start time: 0x01d89d4df44468fb
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.AppRep.ChxApp_cw5n1h2txyewy\CHXSmartScreen.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f88e66e4-36c1-4a25-b82b-6b353beb4930
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Apprep.ChxApp_1000.19041.1023.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

15 hours ago, Wendy Nitely said:

Faulting application name: CHXSmartScreen.exe

SmartScreen is a component of Windows Defender

Here's what I think is happening, when you launch the Application, Windows is trying to show you this:-

img_59127b0899b33.png

SmartScreen dialog

But something on your Windows installation causes SmartScreen to crash (Third party AV, OS tweak, something corrupt?). I don't know if that gives you any clues, as I honestly could not tell you how to fix the issue beyond that, sorry :(

I'm running Norton 360 Windows defender knows this and allows Norton to control all the application security. 

Funny thing is I added animhacker to the trusted list and it still won't execute. So I guess I'll have to find another way.

I know I cant take my BVH into Blender Avastar, convert it to an anim and change it's priority there, but i't just a bother to do it that way.

Thank for looking into it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.