Problems with link prims

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just starting out with building with second life, with my second creation (a airship) going well, however I've had problems attaching things like doors to the thing, and while watching my airship opening and closing was rather funny I was wondering if there was a way to bundle linked objects without scripts interfering with other linked objects?

No you can't link doors because as you now know - the whole think will flip around.  Scripted items should not be linked. Although when you bundle them up to move it - it will not hurt the scripts. When I say bundle it up - take it all in one grab like your going to link it - only to take a copy for later. 

Kind of funny though :) 

There are two ways to link prims in SL... a "hard" link and a "soft" link. A hard link is when you actually link two objects making them one. A soft link is when you right click on one object, hit edit then hold down shift as you click on an other object... this effective links your objects until you close the edit window or click on something else without holding shift down.

With a soft link you can, not only, move things around at the same time while retaining their position in reference to each other, you can right click and hit take or take copy. When you do this, it will show up in your inventory as a coalesced object. You'll find more information about coalesced object here.

That being said, there are linkable door scripts available. Here's an old one that might still work though I haven't tried it. Definitely test it on something other than your creation (that goes for anything you're trying to do for the first time). If it doesn't work you might want to ask in the LSL Scripting forum.

Hope this helps... Dres

depends entirely on the script, and how the door was built... but the door should NEVER be the root prim.

almost all single prim door scripts allow them to be linked as a child prim, almost no multiprim door scripts allow them to be linked.

there is an example of a simple hinge script in the script library that follow those above stated principles in the LSL Library forum

as stated above, you don't NEED to link things together to package them together... you can use coalesced objects (select all parts then take) or use a box rezzor (easier for customers to handle) to package multi object builds together.

ETA:
please for the love of all that's holy (and a reduction in problems and complaints from your users) do not use the "Timeless" door script... if nothing else, have some one rewrite it for you, so that it does not have all the reset logic that is not needed.

Void Singer wrote:

ETA:

please for the love of all that's holy (and a reduction in problems and complaints from your users) do not use the "Timeless" door script... if nothing else, have some one rewrite it for you, so that it does not have all the reset logic that is not needed.

Thanks for saying this, Void. I don't even know what reset logic is but it must be pretty bad. I certainly don't want anyone vanquished to the depths of hell because of my ill informed suggestion... lol.

...Dres angel-smiley-5100.gif

Dino Hallard wrote:

No you can't link doors because as you now know - the whole think will flip around.  Scripted items should not be linked.

It's definitely not true that you can't link a door to the main structure.  As Void said in her response, it can be trickier to script a linkable door and you have to be sure that the door is never the root prim of the linkset.  There are plenty of linked single-prim and multiprim doors in SL, though, and most are not as needlessly complicated as the Timeless Door script that still lurks in world.  The OP was directed to Void's Simple Hinge Action script in the Scripting Library, for example, and seems to have found my Linkable Multiprim Sliding Door, also in the library. 

the script in question isn;t bad in and of itself, but it uses the prim description to hold a bunch of information that it doesn't need and store it in a region relative way that requires it to be reset every time the build is moved, and can in some cases overflow the description causing breakage. it does have some features that people enjoy like announcements and sounds which can be nice.

newer scripts are written to be relative to the doors position, do not need to store external settings, and can be moved with the build without the user needing to do anything, saving endless hassles with users breaking it or needing to reset

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.