Jump to content

Is it possible to create temporally-altered versions of versions of an animation in blender-avastar?


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone.

I made an animation for a right-handed person that performs complex hand movements, from which I'd like to also create a 'faster' and 'slower' animation so the animation as well. Is there a simple way to do this in blender-avastar please?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 11:54 AM, miathea said:

Hello everyone.

I made an animation for a right-handed person that performs complex hand movements, from which I'd like to also create a 'faster' and 'slower' animation so the animation as well. Is there a simple way to do this in blender-avastar please?

 

1 hour ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Change FPS

 

Yes it is possible, but changing fps, although achieving the desired result, isn't an optimal solution. File size may increase sensibly with higher fps, and there's a limit to file size for upload. 

The best way is to use the NLA editor, in which your animation turns into a box that you can scale in length, resulting in different animation speed. Or just plain old duplication of your animation clip and scaling the distances between the key frames. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

Yes it is possible, but changing fps, although achieving the desired result, isn't an optimal solution. File size may increase sensibly with higher fps, and there's a limit to file size for upload. 

Actually no, FPS manipulation has no impact on file size it is always the same, as FPS increase/decrease is not adding more info to the file it self. At least with .anim files, I don't know if there is difference with .bvh files. It might hit the time limit tho and go over 60 seconds.

 

117641653_FPSmanipulationfilesize.jpg.2ae3e4782193a415b136a74e058cb0cb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Actually no, FPS manipulation has no impact on file size it is always the same, as FPS increase/decrease is not adding more info to the file it self. At least with .anim files, I don't know if there is difference with .bvh files. It might hit the time limit tho and go over 60 seconds.

 

117641653_FPSmanipulationfilesize.jpg.2ae3e4782193a415b136a74e058cb0cb.jpg

What you see is the result from Avastar "cleanup" process, which basically retimes everything to a fixed fps based length.

I wrote the export plug in for Maya that does anim file exports, believe me when I tell you that the file size increases. In my plug in I wanted a lossless output from my animations, so I did not include a under-the-hood optimization. There are 6bytes of data per frame, per joint, so mathematically fps has an impact: same visual speed of the animation, higher fps and there are physically more frames, therefore more data. If you need more details about the anim serialization feel free to ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...