Is it possible to create temporally-altered versions of versions of an animation in blender-avastar?

Hello everyone.

I made an animation for a right-handed person that performs complex hand movements, from which I'd like to also create a 'faster' and 'slower' animation so the animation as well. Is there a simple way to do this in blender-avastar please?

On 2/15/2021 at 11:54 AM, miathea said:

Hello everyone.

I made an animation for a right-handed person that performs complex hand movements, from which I'd like to also create a 'faster' and 'slower' animation so the animation as well. Is there a simple way to do this in blender-avastar please?

1 hour ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Change FPS

Yes it is possible, but changing fps, although achieving the desired result, isn't an optimal solution. File size may increase sensibly with higher fps, and there's a limit to file size for upload. 

The best way is to use the NLA editor, in which your animation turns into a box that you can scale in length, resulting in different animation speed. Or just plain old duplication of your animation clip and scaling the distances between the key frames. 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

Yes it is possible, but changing fps, although achieving the desired result, isn't an optimal solution. File size may increase sensibly with higher fps, and there's a limit to file size for upload. 

Actually no, FPS manipulation has no impact on file size it is always the same, as FPS increase/decrease is not adding more info to the file it self. At least with .anim files, I don't know if there is difference with .bvh files. It might hit the time limit tho and go over 60 seconds.

117641653_FPSmanipulationfilesize.jpg.2ae3e4782193a415b136a74e058cb0cb.jpg

6 hours ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Actually no, FPS manipulation has no impact on file size it is always the same, as FPS increase/decrease is not adding more info to the file it self. At least with .anim files, I don't know if there is difference with .bvh files. It might hit the time limit tho and go over 60 seconds.

117641653_FPSmanipulationfilesize.jpg.2ae3e4782193a415b136a74e058cb0cb.jpg

What you see is the result from Avastar "cleanup" process, which basically retimes everything to a fixed fps based length.

I wrote the export plug in for Maya that does anim file exports, believe me when I tell you that the file size increases. In my plug in I wanted a lossless output from my animations, so I did not include a under-the-hood optimization. There are 6bytes of data per frame, per joint, so mathematically fps has an impact: same visual speed of the animation, higher fps and there are physically more frames, therefore more data. If you need more details about the anim serialization feel free to ask.