Confession...and I need help x3

Gwin LeShelle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Caitlin Applewhyte said:

There is no reason to take an attitude when I was just giving suggestions. I agree they are time consuming projects but taking some small bites can go a long way.

Some quick things you can do to help declutter:

1. Get rid of old landmarks

2. Get rid of notecards

3. Use a script to find duplicates

4. If you don't have them yet, start creating folders to start cleaning up, such as Christmas, clothes (which I have many subfolders), furniture, etc. Do a search to be able to find these items quickly. Then you can go back and work on the folders little by little. By doing this, I was able to clean up my inventory so I only had the sorting folders at the bottom of my inventory. I did a similar thing under my Objects folder. Gratefully I started using folders when I first started SL so at least I had a little more organized mess.

Take my advice or not. I was just trying to help.

For instance, the majority of my textures came boxed (and I save them already boxed) so I quickly moved those boxes into a single box that has a script to read the contents without having to open the box. When it comes to holiday items, those are easy to throw into a single box that I rez at that holiday time. Getting rid of old landmarks and notecards are the two quickest and easiest ways to debulk you inventory.

I think it would have been great to have some of the tools I mentioned in the very beginning so my suggestion may still help others who are new or have small inventories right now.

I agree that I would LOVE to be able to work on my inventory when I am offline or to have some better tools to manage our inventories but if you have the time to do it offline, isn't it still the same amount of time you need to work on it?

I wasn't going to give you attitude, but you are not the first to recommend all sort of sorting systems. They only work if you start using them when you have a small inventory, and continue to use it every time you buy something new.

Of course it will be better to work offline. In SL, it is too many distractions and tempting things to do. And I am a weak person. I don't log in to SL for work, so I am not in the mood for sorting. Several times a year, I delete thousands of unpacker scripts, notecards and landmarks. If I did not, I don't know how much I would have now. Already 2 years in SL, I took first cleanup and got the inventory down to 20 000. Then I tried to hold it under 30 000. Then 50 000... then my goal was 70 000. But every time i cut down a few thousand, it grows back.

It is much more fun to buy things then to sort them.

On 2/13/2021 at 9:29 PM, Jordan Whitt said:

What I do is when I open something I delete the LMs, NCs, opening scripts and alphas/body sizes I don't wear immediately and then move the unopened box (if its copiable that is) to a folder I call BOXED and once a month I put everything in that folder up into another box named for the  month and year so if I ever change body or lose something, I can just reopen it.

I'm a total hoarder too and still have all my system stuff from my early days boxed up in my inventory and have been playing with them as BOM layers!!!

Good morning!

So glad to see there is someone who acts the same way as I do!

Have a wonderful day!

• Thanks 1

The biggest mistake with inventory is to let things accumulate before making sure you have everything that is supposed to be in the package (box or folder). If it's already boxed, you're saved a step in my process. Here's my method:

Move folders to where they need to go first.

After checking the folder to be sure nothing is missing, create a box and name it. (side thought: wouldn't it be nice if we could access Inventory the same way we can access preferences in Firestorm without logging in @Whirly Fizzle doable?) 

Drag and drop a copy of everything in the folder to the Content tab of the box. If there is a copy-able image you can use, apply it to all faces of the box. I usually leave no copy images in the folder so the box won't show as no copy in Inventory because I will forget and freak later on when I see no copy. lol

Pick up the box and move it from the Objects folder.

Delete everything in the folder you will not need/want. You should already have copies of everything.

Once you've got the hang of things you will get fast enough to do these things in less than 2 minutes, possibly less than a minute. It saves a lot of time and you don't have to worry about going back later on and sorting things so no more axe hanging over your head because procrastination (guilty!). 

image.png.e8046847e564787338b0711f482e20e9.png

Note: I do not keep things in folders that are used for incoming such as Objects. I reserve those folders for incoming so that things don't get too out of control and I know that most of the items are new.

image.png.bdd8e9acae400e7021c29fd9f748d493.png

image.png.65befcebaf15822d3ed8b040617eb1d0.png

On 2/13/2021 at 11:27 AM, Gwin LeShelle said:

I am a hoarder...XD for real.... I need tips!!

I am in SL for 14 years now (longer break included) and my inventory has hit 330k item today XD

I NEED TO SORT IT ... a little bit...maybe! 

I am a blogger and every month atm adds around 10-20k item (thanks to layers and so on)

I sort of started some months ago with deleting some Demos, but I honestly don't spend that much time in SL usually I log on...forget about it and dilly off into the real world lol

Then I come back...prepare outfits and take pics for the blog...oh and then usually I forget about it again and even forget to log off <.<...sometimes the cat fixes that for me x3

SO what are your secret formulas for fixing your inventory?

Magic gnomes? You stuff the things under your pixel carpets and beds? You burn them in winter to keep your pixelbunss warm? 

I really really need to fix it haha because last september I had around 220k items and at this rate ...Linden Lab will ban me soon for being a messy XD

My inventory is at 163,000 although I swore I wouldn't let it get past 150,000.

I try to sort and delete and consolidate -- but it's never ending.

I realize that if I just dealt with 100 items a day -- deleting some, putting some out inworld, filing others properly, it will take me 4 1/2 years.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

My inventory is at 163,000 although I swore I wouldn't let it get past 150,000.

I try to sort and delete and consolidate -- but it's never ending.

I realize that if I just dealt with 100 items a day -- deleting some, putting some out inworld, filing others properly, it will take me 4 1/2 years.

THATS me last september when I noticed the 220,000...I was like OMGDONTLETITGOPAST250EVER...well...we know the rest...

and lately I was soooo proud now that I deleted some NCs and Demos and stuff....I was at 315k...

Some blog packs with skins (fatpacks because all dem layers), eyes (all dem layers...T^T) and so on...

...this morning we are at 329,922 again <.<

never ending story XD  

• Like 1

I don't even have those things in inventory, I don't tend to buy clothes, but just houses, furniture, animations, sounds, and gatchas of course.

I lost 15,000 items a few years ago which seemed devastating but it quickly filled up again.

I may try the "100 a day" but I have an awful feeling that 100 a day might come in, too...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.