Confession...and I need help x3

Gwin LeShelle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am a hoarder...XD for real.... I need tips!!

I am in SL for 14 years now (longer break included) and my inventory has hit 330k item today XD

I NEED TO SORT IT ... a little bit...maybe! 

I am a blogger and every month atm adds around 10-20k item (thanks to layers and so on)

I sort of started some months ago with deleting some Demos, but I honestly don't spend that much time in SL usually I log on...forget about it and dilly off into the real world lol

Then I come back...prepare outfits and take pics for the blog...oh and then usually I forget about it again and even forget to log off <.<...sometimes the cat fixes that for me x3

SO what are your secret formulas for fixing your inventory?

Magic gnomes? You stuff the things under your pixel carpets and beds? You burn them in winter to keep your pixelbunss warm? 

I really really need to fix it haha because last september I had around 220k items and at this rate ...Linden Lab will ban me soon for being a messy XD

• Like 1

I thought I had a problem. Seriously, if it isn't causing lag, you might just try to live with it. 

Is it causing problems? Are you having trouble finding things in your inventory? You might start with sorting a few things a day and labelling them as you go. I have found that a number of creators do not properly label their items: For example, they named their item "Irmgard's Amazing Gadget" when it is, in fact, a teleport door. If you add "teleport door" to the rest of the name it will be easier to find. I make subfolders, and as items in the subfolders increase I subdivide them even further, for example "Objects/Objects - Furniture/Furniture - Bathroom."

Hope this helps. I wonder if anyone has more than 330,000 items in inventory?

• Thanks 1

I have begin to delete multiples and sort a bit.  Some things I've done - deleted demos, deleted items that are not my body size and now delete all items that are not my body size when I buy something; taken all of one store's name and put everything in a box and then labeled the box that store name (this one I did because I bought a bunch of new items I'd prefer to get use out of now), I deleted almost all Classic clothing, keeping only a few tops I'd like to wear as an under-thing.  All of these took about about three weeks.  I am at 150K items.  I have also deleted a lot of sculpty items I won't be using anymore as I am all mesh now.  It's not easy, but if it gives you some peace of mind, decide how you'd like to sort a bit.  Also, remember you don't need to keep all your items as you can get a redelivery.  For me, it's that I have a bazillion textures I need to figure out how best to sort now.  I need some kind of texture holding HUD, or something like that, where I can view a whole bunch of my textures at once.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

What I do is when I open something I delete the LMs, NCs, opening scripts and alphas/body sizes I don't wear immediately and then move the unopened box (if its copiable that is) to a folder I call BOXED and once a month I put everything in that folder up into another box named for the  month and year so if I ever change body or lose something, I can just reopen it.

I'm a total hoarder too and still have all my system stuff from my early days boxed up in my inventory and have been playing with them as BOM layers!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rufferta said:

I thought I had a problem. [...]

/me slides under the table hoping no one notices her guilty retreat

In my defense, I do have most of it boxed so it only looks like I have less than 50k. 🤫

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

Harlow Heslop has a great inventory organization tutorial Here. 

That being said - it’s going to take some time. Delete demos, non important notecards, scripts, and landmarks. Additionally, delete old system layers you know you won’t wear. Box up all those old neko tails and stompers from 2009 and put them in a time capsule in your inventory for a rainy day, for it would be a crime to delete them. Delete clothes meant for mesh bodies that you don’t own or don’t use. That should take a pretty big chunk out! 

• Thanks 1

I can only offer sympathy. 🤗

I think I have read all tutorials about sorting inventory. It always ends in:

A. Not enough time.

B: Not willing to set aside more time for work instead of play.

I can take some time off and clear notecards, scripts, doubles and demos. I have even deleted clothes of low quality. But I hate it, it is so tedious.

I have vented about this, why oh why can we not access our inventory without logging in? I have free time when it is not appropriate / possible to log in to SL itself.

Of course we should not be able to delete anything - as a fail-safe - but it would be 100% better to move things into folders that can be deleted when we log in.

• Like 1

I have over 250,000 items in my inventory because I build, make clothes and tried my had with a photo biz. All of which are huge inventory hogs with all the textures, poses, backdrops, etc.

There are several items that you can use to manage your inventory. 

1. (CTS) Wardrobe by Carlyle Theas - It is described as a visual organizer for your clothes but it can be used for all of your inventory items! I love this product and wish I had it when I first started SL. It may be time consuming depending on how in-depth you want to be!  

Find it https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Wardrobe-Organize-your-outfits-with-style-A-visual-inventory-organizer/935078

2. There are many different different inventory organizers where you can store inventory items in boxes to store in a physical location to debulk your inventory. I have listed just a few from the marketplace below:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Archive-Inventory-Storage-and-Safe-Keeping/15567629

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Virtual-Inventory-v12-Organize-Store-Retrieve-Backup-Share-items/16881451

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ProLine-Deluxe-Floor-Filer-Pair-Wood/1955995

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Easy-Inventory-OrganizerHud-Black/5659

**Note: I just discovered there is one that works with the CTS Wardrobe! I am excited to play with it! https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Archive-Inventory-Storage-and-Safe-Keeping/15567629

3. If you have a lot of textures, sounds and animations, then organize them using the tool below or other similar texture organizers!

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Skidz-Partz-TMat-Powerful-Texture-Sculpty-Animation-Sound-Organizer/142845

NOTE: I have not used all of the recommended products above. I have the Wardrobe, the TMat texture organizer, and a product similar to the filing cabinet but a different brand. I plan on getting the Archive product now that I have found it!

I hope some of my suggestions will help you!!

Listen, you who suggest to buy all sort of organizers, do you think about how to find time to organize it?

These organizers does not fill up by themselves. It is bull* that it is easier than doing boxing up manually, or sorting in folders manually, when you, like me, have a backlog of almost 100 000 inventory. Reading about the CTS wardrobe made me groan. Literally. And doing it with 3 times as much inventory? I don't want to do it when I am logged in.

It all comes down to hard, concrete facts: Have enough time, and prioritize it over other things. Or else these fancy organizers is just another gadget. Like in RL, you can buy all the gyms and machines you want, and showe them in a closet and let them sit there.

But the first 3 party viewer that let me access my inventory without logging in, when I actually have time and want to sort a bit, I would pay 50 US to have something like that.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rufferta said:

I thought I had a problem. Seriously, if it isn't causing lag, you might just try to live with it. 

Is it causing problems? Are you having trouble finding things in your inventory? You might start with sorting a few things a day and labelling them as you go. I have found that a number of creators do not properly label their items: For example, they named their item "Irmgard's Amazing Gadget" when it is, in fact, a teleport door. If you add "teleport door" to the rest of the name it will be easier to find. I make subfolders, and as items in the subfolders increase I subdivide them even further, for example "Objects/Objects - Furniture/Furniture - Bathroom."

First of all, sorry that it took that long to answer, we had an earthquake here in Japan last night and I was busy checking for friends, I am in Tokyo thats quite far away but even we could feel a very mildly but everyone is fine with my friends and loved ones that live closer ❤️

Luckily it is not causing any lag XD I just noticed that I need a little longer log in and out than my husband or my daughter XD

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the most painfull... as pulling off a bandage... fast and quick : delete the stuff you never look at.

box the items, take back in inventory / name with dates / delete after 3 months not using

I look at way too much stuff I even use things from 2007 for blogging etc I am a crazy combiner xD

2 hours ago, Caitlin Applewhyte said:

I have over 250,000 items in my inventory because I build, make clothes and tried my had with a photo biz. All of which are huge inventory hogs with all the textures, poses, backdrops, etc.

There are several items that you can use to manage your inventory. 

1. (CTS) Wardrobe by Carlyle Theas - It is described as a visual organizer for your clothes but it can be used for all of your inventory items! I love this product and wish I had it when I first started SL. It may be time consuming depending on how in-depth you want to be!  

Find it https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Wardrobe-Organize-your-outfits-with-style-A-visual-inventory-organizer/935078

2. There are many different different inventory organizers where you can store inventory items in boxes to store in a physical location to debulk your inventory. I have listed just a few from the marketplace below:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Archive-Inventory-Storage-and-Safe-Keeping/15567629

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Virtual-Inventory-v12-Organize-Store-Retrieve-Backup-Share-items/16881451

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ProLine-Deluxe-Floor-Filer-Pair-Wood/1955995

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Easy-Inventory-OrganizerHud-Black/5659

**Note: I just discovered there is one that works with the CTS Wardrobe! I am excited to play with it! https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Archive-Inventory-Storage-and-Safe-Keeping/15567629

3. If you have a lot of textures, sounds and animations, then organize them using the tool below or other similar texture organizers!

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Skidz-Partz-TMat-Powerful-Texture-Sculpty-Animation-Sound-Organizer/142845

NOTE: I have not used all of the recommended products above. I have the Wardrobe, the TMat texture organizer, and a product similar to the filing cabinet but a different brand. I plan on getting the Archive product now that I have found it!

I hope some of my suggestions will help you!!

If I would have time and passion to use those useless sorters than I wouldn't have a problem like a 300k inventory haha

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I can only offer sympathy. 🤗

I think I have read all tutorials about sorting inventory. It always ends in:

A. Not enough time.

B: Not willing to set aside more time for work instead of play.

I can take some time off and clear notecards, scripts, doubles and demos. I have even deleted clothes of low quality. But I hate it, it is so tedious.

I have vented about this, why oh why can we not access our inventory without logging in? I have free time when it is not appropriate / possible to log in to SL itself.

Of course we should not be able to delete anything - as a fail-safe - but it would be 100% better to move things into folders that can be deleted when we log in.

I see you totally know my problem XD I will start with old NCs and some Demos and doubles maybe but I guess than its like....well I have the patience and attention span of a squirrel when it comes to things like that in SL ..OH SHINY NUT ....

In RL I LOVE sorting and keeping the house clean so weird but in SL I just can not bring myself to do it <.<

13 hours ago, Benjamin Opel said:

Highlight your entire inventory -> Delete. 😅

"Unuseful answers for 100 please"

14 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

What I do is when I open something I delete the LMs, NCs, opening scripts and alphas/body sizes I don't wear immediately and then move the unopened box (if its copiable that is) to a folder I call BOXED and once a month I put everything in that folder up into another box named for the  month and year so if I ever change body or lose something, I can just reopen it.

I'm a total hoarder too and still have all my system stuff from my early days boxed up in my inventory and have been playing with them as BOM layers!!!

OH right deleting LMs should lower the count to a little I mean...14+ years LMs should be something, and nower days you can not have any fun places anyways...not like in the old days (imagine this in oldlady voice haha) nah for real I mostly spend time at our home parcels now and sometimes scoot to events so deleting LMs should be no problem, thanks ❤️

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

OH right deleting LMs should lower the count to a little I mean...14+ years LMs should be something, and nower days you can not have any fun places anyways...not like in the old days (imagine this in oldlady voice haha) nah for real I mostly spend time at our home parcels now and sometimes scoot to events so deleting LMs should be no problem, thanks ❤️

With the Teleport History thingie, I find it usually isn't necessary to save LMs anyway!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I just found like 10k blogotex NCs alone...and I do not even accept all of them usually anyways <.< ugh XD

Look in preferences for the setting that stops automatic acceptance of items. I would tell you where to look for the setting but I don't know what viewer you are using. When you use this setting it sends notecards to your Trash folder.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Look in preferences for the setting that stops automatic acceptance of items. I would tell you where to look for the setting but I don't know what viewer you are using. When you use this setting it sends notecards to your Trash folder.

OH I never auto accept things! XD its just sometimes I accidentally click KEEP when going through the Blogotex NCs because its like 15 of them everytime I log in <.<

But thats a good advice tho NO one should ever have auto accept turned on in SL tbh 😧

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Listen, you who suggest to buy all sort of organizers, do you think about how to find time to organize it?

These organizers does not fill up by themselves. It is bull* that it is easier than doing boxing up manually, or sorting in folders manually, when you, like me, have a backlog of almost 100 000 inventory. Reading about the CTS wardrobe made me groan. Literally. And doing it with 3 times as much inventory? I don't want to do it when I am logged in.

It all comes down to hard, concrete facts: Have enough time, and prioritize it over other things. Or else these fancy organizers is just another gadget. Like in RL, you can buy all the gyms and machines you want, and showe them in a closet and let them sit there.

But the first 3 party viewer that let me access my inventory without logging in, when I actually have time and want to sort a bit, I would pay 50 US to have something like that.

There is no reason to take an attitude when I was just giving suggestions. I agree they are time consuming projects but taking some small bites can go a long way.

Some quick things you can do to help declutter:

1. Get rid of old landmarks

2. Get rid of notecards

3. Use a script to find duplicates

4. If you don't have them yet, start creating folders to start cleaning up, such as Christmas, clothes (which I have many subfolders), furniture, etc. Do a search to be able to find these items quickly. Then you can go back and work on the folders little by little. By doing this, I was able to clean up my inventory so I only had the sorting folders at the bottom of my inventory. I did a similar thing under my Objects folder. Gratefully I started using folders when I first started SL so at least I had a little more organized mess.

Take my advice or not. I was just trying to help.

For instance, the majority of my textures came boxed (and I save them already boxed) so I quickly moved those boxes into a single box that has a script to read the contents without having to open the box. When it comes to holiday items, those are easy to throw into a single box that I rez at that holiday time. Getting rid of old landmarks and notecards are the two quickest and easiest ways to debulk you inventory.

I think it would have been great to have some of the tools I mentioned in the very beginning so my suggestion may still help others who are new or have small inventories right now.

I agree that I would LOVE to be able to work on my inventory when I am offline or to have some better tools to manage our inventories but if you have the time to do it offline, isn't it still the same amount of time you need to work on it?

55 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I hope everyone is alright. A 9.0 is not something to make light of. We're here if you need us. 🤗

Thats really cute! It was a 7.something dunno where the 9 is coming from T^T And yes everyone I know is fine and here in the center of Tokyo our family hasn't felt much of it anyways luckily T^T and the news reporting just wounded no dead, so lets hope it stays like this :(

But in Fukushima it was bad ...they never can catch a break there ass it seems -_-

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Thats really cute! It was a 7.something dunno where the 9 is coming from T^T And yes everyone I know is fine and here in the center of Tokyo our family hasn't felt much of it anyways luckily T^T and the news reporting just wounded no dead, so lets hope it stays like this :(

But in Fukushima it was bad ...they never can catch a break there ass it seems -_-

From this: Japan earthquake was 'aftershock' of devastating 9.0-magnitude quake that hit in 2011 - CNN

• Like 1

Oh CNN XD

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

For real I tried googling english speaking news and CNN is the ONLY website referring to it like that even the google standard warning for my area iss more accurate

750cf66370d8c1ae45bc6bceb3149165.png

And I trust our news more than CNN XD ❤️

7 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Oh CNN XD

For real I tried googling english speaking news and CNN is the ONLY website referring to it like that even the google standard warning for my area iss more accurate

750cf66370d8c1ae45bc6bceb3149165.png

And I trust our news more than CNN XD ❤️

lol

I saw that article yesterday but didn't pay attention to who published it and didn't go looking for any other sources. They aren't saying it was a direct aftershock of the 2011 quake so the title is misleading. The fact that it occurred in the same vicinity as the 9.0 in 2011 does make it related since it involves the same tectonic plates in that area. 

I live in "quake country" in the US. I've lived here for around 15 years now so I'm not acclimated to quakes and I feel them when others don't even notice them. They're used to the tiny tremors. I'm not. lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.