Why does LL choose to be so restrictive regarding last name choices?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

You would not want Sakura as first name then? You can change both names for the same price, when you choose a last name. You could be Sakura Amore. 

As long as no one picked the same name combination first.

or even just "sakura" if available.. it's not needed to have a last name. ( resident doesn't show)

and... display names didn't change, can always use that

Edited by Alwin Alcott

12 minutes ago, AlyceAdrift said:

My other half and I want Sakura as our last name... I have been holding out hoping it will pop up.

The two of you should just make alts. You can be AlyceSakura and your partner can be WhateverSakura. Then if the lack of a space bothers you, set Display Names. Problem almost entirely solved, no waiting, and for free.

• Like 3

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

The two of you should just make alts. You can be AlyceSakura and your partner can be WhateverSakura. Then if the lack of a space bothers you, set Display Names. Problem almost entirely solved, no waiting, and for free.

I mean yeah we could do that. I just... idk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The problem with relying on display names is that user names are so visible. It seems that scripted objects that send messages about avatars always use user names. I like to show only display names because it seems to me that people should be known by the name they prefer. I often find myself looking up to see which person that I know by a display name is the one that a scripted object just referred to as elfie5678, or some such.

Can scripts access display names? If so, why don't they use them? If not, why not?

12 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

The problem with relying on display names is that user names are so visible. It seems that scripted objects that send messages about avatars always use user names. I like to show only display names because it seems to me that people should be known by the name they prefer. I often find myself looking up to see which person that I know by a display name is the one that a scripted object just referred to as elfie5678, or some such.

Can scripts access display names? If so, why don't they use them? If not, why not?

I think most scripts can't use display names because they are able to be changed often and for the fact that most display names these days have special character/fancy letters, honestly.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

20 minutes ago, AlyceAdrift said:

I think most scripts can't use display names because they are able to be changed often and for the fact that most display names these days have special character/fancy letters, honestly.

Scripts can easily access the display name of an avatar. (GetDisplayName/RequestDisplayName)

The reason why most scripts don't do that is probably because a lot of scripts were made before display names were a thing, or because it just hasn't become as much of a norm yet, or because getting the display name can sometimes fail (a username is always reliable), or the scripter prefers usernames. The fancy characters used in display names are not an issue for scripts.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The reason why most scripts don't do that is probably because a lot of scripts were made before display names were a thing, or because it just hasn't become as much of a norm yet, or the scripter prefers usernames.

And because I suspect that a lot of scripters do not write LSL scripts frequently enough to be familiar with more than a basic, commonly-used subset of the available functions. 

There are a mind-boggling 467 functions to choose among.  Those of us who script all the time probably use a quarter of them frequently enough that we don't need to refer to the wiki to figure out how they work, and maybe another 50% that we recognize well enough to use them with ease. The remaining ones are in a "I wonder what that one does?" category.  I suspect that casual scripters find that 50% to 75% of the 467 functions -- including llGetDisplayName() and llRequestDisplayName()  -- are in that last category, if they are aware of the functions at all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Scripts can easily access the display name of an avatar. (GetDisplayName/RequestDisplayName)

The reason why most scripts don't do that is probably because a lot of scripts were made before display names were a thing, or because it just hasn't become as much of a norm yet, or because getting the display name can sometimes fail (a username is always reliable), or the scripter prefers usernames. The fancy characters used in display names are not an issue for scripts.

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

And because I suspect that a lot of scripters do not write LSL scripts frequently enough to be familiar with more than a basic, commonly-used subset of the available functions. 

There are a mind-boggling 467 functions to choose among.  Those of us who script all the time probably use a quarter of them frequently enough that we don't need to refer to the wiki to figure out how they work, and maybe another 50% that we recognize well enough to use them with ease. The remaining ones are in a "I wonder what that one does?" category.  I suspect that casual scripters find that 50% to 75% of the 467 functions -- including llGetDisplayName() and llRequestDisplayName()  -- are in that last category, if they are aware of the functions at all.

Thank you, Wulfie and Rolig, the two most helpful people here.

8 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I have never come across a Salubrius before, saying that I have never looked before either.  I have this idea in my head that I chose that name myself .. but could be a false memory.  🤔

as far i know the last names weren't free to choose, perhas just in the very very early start?... Salubrius isn't original sadly 😪  over 700 in search ( as all names most are inactive )
(btw..seems slnamewatch seems not to work anymore, that was a good source for legacy names, signups, and rares)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.