Do you think you can switch to a sustainable diet?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The traditional diet of my cultural heritage isn't particularly vegan - lots of use of meat and seafood. The meat alternatives that exist in commercial supermarkets (eg. Beyond Meat) wouldn't replace a lot of those items either; they are more suitable for a typical Canadian or American diet than for other 'ethnic' foods. As a result, the dishes of my culture would have to be heavily modified to match a vegan diet, and I'm not prepared to do that. 

I think a better option would be to consider where your food is being sourced from - it may be worse for the environment to source products imported from abroad rather than local items. Buying local is not always possible depending on where you live and what foods you're looking for (especially for some ethnic foods), but I think it may be a more viable step for people to take than to change their diet towards vegetarianism or veganism. 

Edited by simplemint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jordan Whitt said:

It's so adorable how you expect anyone to accept responsibility...

I never said I 'expected' it. It's merely fun to point it out!

• Haha 1

I would have no problem.  I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 11 years, eating dairy products, organic whole grains, vegetables, nuts, beans, fruits, tortillas, a bit of tofu but not much.   If I'm forgetting some foods, I'm tired right now. I stopped drinking soda at the age of 17 and eat very little sugar.  I also eat no junk food whatsoever currently but if I do snack I go for potato chips about 2-3 times a year.  So, I would have no problem whatsoever.  It is what I would prefer.   My diet changed for certain reasons by adding chicken, turkey and fish and a little meat but I'd still prefer to go vegetarian again.  I also worked out six days a week, so it is a complete and total myth that vegetarians are weak or unhealthy, quite the contrary.  

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

I never said I 'expected' it. It's merely fun to point it out!

There is an old saying. Some say it is Navajo, some say it is Ghandi.

"When you point a finger, three fingers point back at you." :P

Unless you are a cartoon character, then there is only two..

hehehe

depositphotos_125049026-stock-photo-vint

Edited by Ceka Cianci

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

some say it is Ghandi.

He also said of a certain ethnicity that they "are troublesome, very dirty, and live like animals". Just because a saying has a famous name to it, or that it is 'an old saying', doesn't mean it's universally applicable and divine truth. 

But, as evidenced by some of the responses to this thread, pushing the red button isn't helping. Just like how people think that surely the restrictions put in place due to the pandemic couldn't possibly refer to them, people seem to think that the survival of civilisation as we know it is someone else's burden rather then their own responsibility - if people couldn't possibly consider to change some dietary habits for the good of the environment, there won't be a democratic solution to the environmental issues we are facing today. After all, getting to have some avocado on your toast or some cheap meat from a feed lot on the other side of the globe is more important than our planet's capacity to accommodate our current numbers; surely, euthenising and sterilising large swathes of the world's population is the more rational solution - surely, that is going to affect someone else as well. 

If that's the route we're going to take, perhaps we should simply start with the deeper reds and move down the list until it's in check?

1280px-CO2_emissions_per_capita,_2017_(O

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

He also said of a certain ethnicity that they "are troublesome, very dirty, and live like animals". Just because a saying has a famous name to it, or that it is 'an old saying', doesn't mean it's universally applicable and divine truth. 

But, as evidenced by some of the responses to this thread, pushing the red button isn't helping. Just like how people think that surely the restrictions put in place due to the pandemic couldn't possibly refer to them, people seem to think that the survival of civilisation as we know it is someone else's burden rather then their own responsibility - if people couldn't possibly consider to change some dietary habits for the good of the environment, there won't be a democratic solution to the environmental issues we are facing today. After all, getting to have some avocado on your toast or some cheap meat from a feed lot on the other side of the globe is more important than our planet's capacity to accommodate our current numbers; surely, euthenising and sterilising large swathes of the world's population is the more rational solution - surely, that is going to affect someone else as well. 

If that's the route we're going to take, perhaps we should simply start with the deeper reds and move down the list until it's in check?

1280px-CO2_emissions_per_capita,_2017_(O

While in theory, the idea is great.  However, with roughly 10% (32 mill.) of the US living in poverty and unable to choose where and what they can shop for, it's not something attainable for many people.  If the only transportation you have for shopping is the city bus, is it more environmentally friendly to go across town to shop at the store that sells more sustainable items.  A LOT of inner city families have no choice but to shop at the local market with it's small inventory.  Maybe all they sell are bananas and oranges, cheaper cuts of meat, prepackaged foods, nothing local.  

It's not that people won't change.  People don't always have a choice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Jeepers I was just goofin with ya, ya know..

But since you want a esplunatshun I'll give ya one..

I didn't use his name for that reason.. I just didn't know who said it is all and those were the two names that popped up so I put both down. In fact that's probably not even his exact words.. I had it typed up even before I looked to see who said it.. hehehe

But because it is old doesn't mean it isn't universal as well.. Heck I even added cartoon characters because I was so serious and didn't want them sneaking by..hehehe

Besides there are plenty of different versions worded in many different ways meaning the same thing. Because he said it doesn't mean he has the patent on the meaning.

Not all Avocado's grow in south america.. Not all Avocado's are part of Evil Big Avocado.:ph34r:

You pointed because someone eats avocado's..Mainly because of how and where they get them from and the impact all that has on the environment..

I can go right down in Alabama and get the really nice big  or long ones from a farmer I know that grows some, rather than those dinky skimpy little overpriced ones that don't have enough in them to give a mouse an orgasm, that they sell in stores that are probably from south america or california or where ever..

The nice thing about being a farmer is, knowing other farmers and trading stuff for other stuff.. A little beef for some Avocado's, oranges, peaches or whatever.

Your map should have been of the forums since it was forumites you were nuking rather than of the world.. Stop trying to blow up da world!!\o/

Instead lets get back to who was originally being pointed at which are forumites and the ones eating Avocados..

Hey Mr man! \o/ I eat Avocados and I'll put my footprint up against just about anyone's when it comes to what's in the fridge and cupboards and laid out on the table at dinner time and whats under the bed..  Did I say that last part out loud? 0o Hope not

Aaaaanyways, The nice thing about being able to be self sustaining and self sufficient is, you become more conscious of the environment because you are dealing with it first hand and seeing impacts both positive and negative up close..

Also you can control your contribution to the impact on the environment a heck of a lot more than people that have no choice but to have to buy the things they stock while living in a smaller space..

My thinking is, why buy apples when I can go out back and pick'em.. I can have 200 apple trees planted in the back when spring comes if I wanted..

I don't trust restaurants and I don't trust grocery stores..

That's why most everything we eat comes from our land or from people we trust and trade with.

Our water supply doesn't even come from the ground.. we catch the rain which ends up in big tanks up top that is piped down by gravity to the houses..

All my showers are taken in rain water, otherwise known as the joyously blessed tears of the gods..

This is why many say I smell so blessed and something reminds them of a goddess.. I think it's the goddess pheromone that comes with the tears or something..

Aims sleeping husbands butt at you, pushes on his stomach making him fart in your general direction!

Now if you don't pick up on playfulness this time, then I give up..

hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 7:06 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I don't know if I personally can. I'd have to wean myself from some of my favorite foods in order to have a healthy, sustainable diet.

You know, the thing is Gopi, you haven't tasted the foods I have.  If you had, you'd be like bring on Heaven.  Yes!  Yes!  YES!   But, you nor anyone cannot know what you do not know.   It's all the way it's cooked and grown.  There are heavenly organic growers and cooks but my telling you that is still not you tasting it.  I'll never forget the roasted cauliflower salad I had.  My boss and I flipped out over it!  That cook was astounding.  "This is sooooooooo good" me and my boss.  OMGeeeeeeee!  The problem is I live in a sun belt.  What about other's who don't?  

One thing about the planet and us, the planet and humans were meant to consume that which is organic.  The planet does not know how to dispose of man-made chemicals.  Neither do our bodies.  Animals fats are shortening our lifespan.  I have no doubt about that.  

Edited by FairreLilette

18 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

One thing about the planet and us, the planet and humans were meant to consume that which is organic.  The planet does not know how to dispose of man-made chemicals.  Neither do our bodies.  Animals fats are shortening our lifespan.  I have no doubt about that.  

Aren't animal fats organic though, and what people mostly thrived on as hunter-gatherers, and still do in the far north where no heart disease is found among those who eat loads of animal fat.  I've read it's the overheated, over-processed vegetable oils that are what's bad for you (this unnatural process turning them into a kind of chemical the body doesn't know how to handle).

19 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

You know, the thing is Gopi, you haven't tasted the foods I have.  If you had, you'd be like bring on Heaven.  Yes!  Yes!  YES!   But, you nor anyone cannot know what you do not know.   It's all the way it's cooked and grown.  There are heavenly organic growers and cooks but my telling you that is still not you tasting it.  I'll never forget the roasted cauliflower salad I had.  My boss and I flipped out over it!  That cook was astounding.  "This is sooooooooo good" me and my boss.  OMGeeeeeeee!  The problem is I live in a sun belt.  What about other's who don't?  

I think I found the planets way..The planet always has a way..

We humans only think like humans and not like the planet.. We always think of how we would do it which si waiting for them to dissolve..

The planet has all the time in the world, pun intended.. The planet see's something taking too long so the planet makes a call.. Hey Lava I have a quick job for you, if you have about 20 seconds could you slide over and go eat that stuff real quick..

Lava: Sure thing Planet..

Lava: All gone..

Planet: Thank you lava..

Lava : You're welcome Planet..

hehehe omg I really need some tea..

• Haha 1

What is more sustainable? Importing less? Perhaps there are cases where the envonmintal costly total is importing is worth more.

Eating less meat? Several of us have gone from factory meat to hunting. 100 % for ethical reasons. And we have clean shots. But what if too many of us do that? How to handle that?

As a former bodybuilder, I can say that pea proteins have about 80 useful proteins. Not eggs or milk/beef like effect, buth with chococolate it can work

I can eat ants for protein, learned it, it was a good thing to learn as kid to learn if I promise. Not nice.:) And not a militia thing. Scandicacian surviaval more kid thing 6-7 yrs old.

34 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Aren't animal fats organic though, and what people mostly thrived on as hunter-gatherers, and still do in the far north where no heart disease is found among those who eat loads of animal fat.  I've read it's the overheated, over-processed vegetable oils that are what's bad for you (this unnatural process turning them into a kind of chemical the body doesn't know how to handle).

I'm not exactly sure what kind of meat you are speaking about in the far north?  I also heard the far north people sustained on a lot of fish.  Fish has Omega3 which can lower the bad cholesterol, I think.  Anyhow, I'm just waking up with coffee...so not sure of what you are referring to and what was their whole diet.

I'd say animals are organic, yes, but animal fats are the leading cause of diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. 

Also, organic meat is far, far different than what most of us have eaten.  It is way leaner and there isn't that much of it and has far less fat than the main farm grown, genetically modified meats we eat today where the animals themselves are fed genetically modified sugars to "fatten up", the corn especially.    

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.