What are some items that are surprisingly cheap but look damn good?

LordHappycat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not to be too cynical .... Some "creators" simply copy mesh objects from other platforms and upload them to SL without actually doing any of their own work.  An unfortunate number of those objects are not optimized for use in SL.  They have way too many vertices and have too much detail in LODs.  That can make them look super but it also means that they have high land impact or (if worn) can add dramatically to your avatar complexity.  It's a quick, cheap way for a shop owner to fill a store and sell things at bargain prices, but not such a good deal for the buyer or SL in general.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Not to be too cynical .... Some "creators" simply copy mesh objects from other platforms and upload them to SL without actually doing any of their own work.  An unfortunate number of those objects are not optimized for use in SL.  They have way too many vertices and have too much detail in LODs.  That can make them look super but it also means that they have high land impact or (if worn) can add dramatically to your avatar complexity.  It's a quick, cheap way for a shop owner to fill a store and sell things at bargain prices, but not such a good deal for the buyer or SL in general.

I'm afraid this is true.  So, "good" is subjective also.  Some of these high triangle items were made to use as props for 2D photography within SL.  So, do you want good as in optimized for general use in SL or for photography within SL or what?  

More to the OP:  I agree with The Sea Hole.  I started my SL with all 1 linden clothing from The Sea Hole because I didn't know what the heck I wanted to buy yet.  But, The Sea Hole clothing is still very good and the price is practically free.  

If you want some 2D props for SL photography, pick up some second-hand resale Gachas on the cheap.  Don't use the machines, look for second-hand ones on MP or in resale Gacha malls and yardsales inworld.  ALL THINGS GACHA group inworld could direct you to some cheap yardsale items.

Edited by FairreLilette

13 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

How can unsophisticated SL users detect this?

I really like a lot of the things I've found at The Black Forest. There is a great attention to detail that I really appreciate. For example they have a really beautiful wood burning stove that I think I only paid 75 l for when I saw it at an event. Not only was it beautifully textured and a very modest LI, but the pipe that takes the smoke "outside" is extended to a piece on the outer wall that makes the placement make sense.  I am probably the only person who ever cares about this , but bugs me when I see a  massive fireplace  with a roaring fire where there shouldn't be one (no outer chimney).  I have no idea if it passes the other markers of what is deemed good mesh.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ermagerd Stop inspecting me!! \o/

hehehe

That just reminded me.  The other day, I saw a woman wearing one of those anti-inspect shields.  Have you ever noticed it's usually the people you wouldn't even want to inspect that wear them?  I usually only notice because I'm trying to inspect someone near them and end up on their shield.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I really like a lot of the things I've found at The Black Forest. There is a great attention to detail that I really appreciate. For example they have a really beautiful wood burning stove that I think I only paid 75 l for when I saw it at an event. Not only was it beautifully textured and a very modest LI, but the pipe that takes the smoke "outside" is extended to a piece on the outer wall that makes the placement make sense.  I am probably the only person who ever cares about this , but bugs me when I see a  massive fireplace  with a roaring fire where there shouldn't be one (no outer chimney).  I have no idea if it passes the other markers of what is deemed good mesh.

There is tons of great stuff at The Black Forest.  Terrific games as well - games of all kinds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

That just reminded me.  The other day, I saw a woman wearing one of those anti-inspect shields.  Have you ever noticed it's usually the people you wouldn't even want to inspect that wear them?  I usually only notice because I'm trying to inspect someone near them and end up on their shield.  

Yea, Those don't even work anyways, because once you lock onto their shield, you just zoom in, then rotate the camera to the inside of the shield and click them.. hehehe

I don't think I've inspected someone in like 10 years or so.. I completely forgot about inspect for a long long time.. hehehe

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Yea, Those don't even work anyways, because once you lock onto their shield, you just zoom in, then rotate the camera to the inside of the shield and click them.. hehehe

Or just derender the stupid shield.  Then you don't even need to spin your camera view around.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Or just derender the stupid shield.  Then you don't even need to spin your camera view around.

But then you'll get the "OMG Y U LoOkInG aT meeee" pointer dramaz.

Get yourself this HUD and you can inspect their goods on the sly: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MB-What-is-She-Wearing/9129140

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

But then you'll get the "OMG Y U LoOkInG aT meeee" pointer dramaz.

Get yourself this HUD and you can inspect their goods on the sly: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MB-What-is-She-Wearing/9129140

Unless you use Firestorm and have set the viewer to not send those stupid pointers.

And, yes, that HUD is a great tool also.

• Like 1

I've been equipping a male alt, whom I want to use for photos. (Because, you know, why use an actual man? They are terrible at taking direction.) And I want to do it cheaply, so as not to waste money that could be spent on meeeeeeeeeeee . . .

As some will already know, @Skell Daggerhas a post in his utterly invaluable blog about how to set up a good looking mesh male avatar for next to nothing. He includes links and directions to in-world stores and MP pages that sell really surprisingly high-quality men's clothing and accessories for L$1 or less.

Lots of nice stuff here -- not L&B quality, admittedly, but still very acceptable. I particularly recommend the Gabriel L$1 discount stuff.

And, again, huge kudos to Skell for putting this together: it's a legitimate public service.

https://virtualbloke.com/archives/3931

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Like nearly everyone else in SL, I have that HUD, and occasionally use it . . . but wow does it seem invasive.

Not to mention over-brimming with TMI. Sometimes, you just don't want to know everything that someone is wearing. 😦

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Like nearly everyone else in SL, I have that HUD, and occasionally use it . . . but wow does it seem invasive.

Not to mention over-brimming with TMI. Sometimes, you just don't want to know everything that someone is wearing. 😦

I rarely use it.  Mostly for shoes as they seem harder to get a hold of to inspect for some reason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

just a FYI

if we want to wear rigged mesh bits/pieces and we don't want these to be found/interrogated by other people's scripts then attach the rigged bit/piece to a viewer HUD attachment point. Scripts can't 'see' viewer HUD attachments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.