Residential Communities on the Mainland

Trinity Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:03 PM, Stephanie Misfit said:

Thanks to those who recommended this location. I picked up some land there yesterday. It's a fantastic place to make a home. Very unique area. I enjoyed exploring the neighbourhood, using the provided horses and cable cars. I am always thrilled to see people who are devoted to the mainland.

Campbell Coast is a very nicely done area, so nice it doesn't even seem like Mainland, and I visit it often to go to the art galleries. I haven't thought of getting land there because I figured either there wasn't any, it was expensive, or, more to the point, it would become like my Linden Home -- I would never go there. I find it hard to stay in an SL home after I finish decorating it, I want to move on to something else. So I go and fix up a rental or explore and update my lists of places and such. So why take land that someone might value more and stay on more? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there ... so this post inspired me to try something new!

After responding a few weeks ago, I thought try to create a new community as a division of my rental business (Crisp Estates), called Crisp Cove, located just minutes from the Blake Sea via protected water (map below).

I made everything pretty affordable, and even included a house and a dock that doesn't count against prims. So, if you or anyone need something that's G-Rated, I hope this is a nice alternative for you, as I don't find many G-rated communities :)

More details Crisp Cove Blake Sea:

image.png.cad2309bf1051df1b2d6f0fb2e805912.png

image.png.eae01c4ad4cda2d0edd2471020d1d693.png

image.png.92fc1766b985adddf2ce350b14fbae34.png

image.png.8b36366db0e3437888c102f1a600d084.png

Edited by Alexis Crisp
  • Like 8

On 2/23/2021 at 8:51 PM, Karly Kiyori said:

I went to look at Campbell Coast yesterday and completely fell in love with it. I was also surprised to find that rentals were not out of my budget. So... I have a new home! 

I've lived for a few weeks, and I have to agree, one instantly falls in love with it. Amazing landscape, and really friendly people; the perfect place to live

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Mainland --- (usually large land masses but not necessarily connected to one another).

Owned by Linden Lab - yes

Various parcel sizes - yes

Tier paid to Linden Lab on plots over 1024 free tier allotment - yes

Premium account needed - yes

Covenant - NO

Linden Homes  (large land masses but not all connected to one another)

Owned by Linden Lab - yes

Various parcel sizes - NO

Tier paid to Linden Lab - NO

Premium account needed - yes

Covenant -YES

Estate Lands - single islands or large land masses made into "continents"

Owned by Linden Lab - NO

Various parcel sizes - yes

Tier paid to Linden Lab  - NO - paid to estate holder

Premium account needed - NO

Covenant -YES (at least I haven't seen private lands with no covenant -- most often given out when renting)

It's odd that you say "tier not paid to Linden Lab" for a Bellissaria home. You must have a premium account, which includes 1024 land credit which can be used on either a Linden Home or Mainland. But that's still "tier paid to Linden Lab". You have to pay the price of a premium account every month.

It's also odd that you say Estate Lands, or private islands are "not owned by Linden Lab". Of course they're owned by Linden Lab. Every single simulator is owned by Linden Lab. These aren't estates in Open Sim or Decentraland, now, are they? Ok, then. 

This isn't splitting hairs or interpreting things like Fisk -- it's just the plain facts of the situation. Everything is owned by Linden Lab. You may pay tier directly to Linden Land when you "own" (really "rent") Mainland or a Bellissaria home that came with your premium account (for which you pay Linden Lab) or you may pay tier or rent to a landowner of either Mainland or Estates who in turn himself has to pay Linden Lab. Either way, it all comes back to LL. Therefore "to whom you pay tier" is not a useful distinguishing factor, really.

I think the definition of: "Can you fly to it from Ahern? Yes or not". That is FLY, not TELEPORT. And yes, Bellissaria is Mainland. I've been in SL nearly 17 years and I perceive Bellissaria as Mainland. It's reachable from the old Mainland even if it is new Mainland.

If "Mainland" is a word that you have stigmatized, and you want Bellissaria to be free of that stigma, that's fine. I don't know whether Lindens define their new product as "Mainland". They may not. But you can fly to it from Ahern. So we know the truth.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, Karly Kiyori said:

I went to look at Campbell Coast yesterday and completely fell in love with it. I was also surprised to find that rentals were not out of my budget. So... I have a new home! 

50974215837_9b00a6e549_b.jpg

I actually bought a parcel in this community -- parcels occasionally go up for sale -- and it was only $7/meter, which is astounding. These people are extremely brave. Looking around, I found another parcel. So now I have "Prokofy's Spring Home" which is a roving kind of concept, and another little spot to rent out or perhaps make a hangout for Mainland Appreciation Society.

Campbell Coast has a lot to offer -- I first went there to see the art galleries, which are great, and bought a few works. Some famous people like Apple Fall have art there and also others who should be famous, they're very good like Owl Dragonash. I think it's owned by BJoyful but I haven't investigated all of it.

I made sure to make my house and landscaping EXACTLY like everybody else, because I want to cooperate with their efforts to make a nice sim. I was under no obligation to do that, having bought this land, not rented it, but why buy land in a place where you intend to put up GTFO or a club with spinning lights? I mean, there are so many other places for that! 

I will say it's laggy -- and there are some very high script items there like the funiculare which is fabulous. I think if they made that "ride on demand" instead of "ride all day for a picturesque effect even if no one is in it" (like those pods), it would reduce lag somewhat -- but to really reduce it, you would have to really work at it, and it's hard -- you want a place to look nice, to be visited, yet you don't want lag? Well, that's very very hard to do...

I think the makers of this community are brave, creative, innovative, and...my graphics card may not be up to their speed. So I may not be here for long personally, but meanwhile I look forward to exploring it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I actually bought a parcel in this community -- parcels occasionally go up for sale -- and it was only $7/meter, which is astounding. These people are extremely brave. Looking around, I found another parcel. So now I have "Prokofy's Spring Home" which is a roving kind of concept, and another little spot to rent out or perhaps make a hangout for Mainland Appreciation Society.

Campbell Coast has a lot to offer -- I first went there to see the art galleries, which are great, and bought a few works. Some famous people like Apple Fall have art there and also others who should be famous, they're very good like Owl Dragonash. I think it's owned by BJoyful but I haven't investigated all of it.

I made sure to make my house and landscaping EXACTLY like everybody else, because I want to cooperate with their efforts to make a nice sim. I was under no obligation to do that, having bought this land, not rented it, but why buy land in a place where you intend to put up GTFO or a club with spinning lights? I mean, there are so many other places for that! 

I will say it's laggy -- and there are some very high script items there like the funiculare which is fabulous. I think if they made that "ride on demand" instead of "ride all day for a picturesque effect even if no one is in it" (like those pods), it would reduce lag somewhat -- but to really reduce it, you would have to really work at it, and it's hard -- you want a place to look nice, to be visited, yet you don't want lag? Well, that's very very hard to do...

I think the makers of this community are brave, creative, innovative, and...my graphics card may not be up to their speed. So I may not be here for long personally, but meanwhile I look forward to exploring it.

Welcome to the neighborhood! Your parcel is not far from mine. I agree about how nice the place looks, and I did the same thing about making my parcel look like the rest of the neighborhood (like you, I purchased a parcel, rather than rent). There is a lot to see there, for sure. If you don't yet have the notecard that lists the attractions there, I can send you a copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yukiko Yeshto said:

Pssst. Don't fall into the trap. Quote by Patch Linden: "This is just a friendly reminder that while Bellisseria may be connected to mainland, it is not mainland."

Quote to be found here:

Patch is obviously entitled to his opinion, it's his game. But look at his birthdate, and look at my birthdate, and ask yourself who has flown more miles from Ahern. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 2/17/2021 at 9:19 AM, Yukiko Yeshto said:
[snip]
I will meet up in a few days with the owner so once I know more, I will drop info here.
[snip]

I met up with the owner on Sunday and can tell more now. The community is called "Winter Cove Community" and is located on Rothenburg in the Snowlands: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rothenburg/52/103/129

You can find homes to rent; a huge park with dog parcours, ice skating pond, kids playground, bike rezzer; a loft style gym fitness club; a business area on the other side of the LL road with stores, barbershop, bistro, coffee house, and a movie theatre. Some items will have Xeolife implemented as well. I am not firm with this system but those who are aware of it, will know :D For entertainment, it is planned to offer gym classes and movie nights, and additional occassional events. Other planned sites are a grocery store, a gas station, a community center, and not far from this area, an additional location with cabins to rent and a hangout hub.

The official opening of the community will happen within the next days, that's why you will still see banlines around the area as of now. However, group access is activated (group is free to join), or you can zoom around. On a sidenote: I scheduled a visit at the location for my next Mainland Tour at the Snowlands so if you don't want to explore it on your own, you're welcome to join the tour. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This community has been mentioned in an earlier post, but I went on a long drive up north (I come from the deep south close to the port of Promethium) to the regions of Keswick, Buttermere, Langdale, Windermere and Coniston, and took some photos. Langdale Seaside, or the Greater Coniston is a Northern English countryside town that has houses in all sizes from L$10 cottages all the way up to antique mansions and castles. Quiet laidback atmosphere with plenty of public areas; four ports and an extensive road connected to the Sansara Waterways and Linden Roads. Many of the houses are still occupied, and I remember the locals there being very friendly when I visited last year. I did not meet anyone during this trip but maybe on other days they gather and hold events.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Langdale/91/174/27

langdale_002.thumb.jpeg.6bc7d28047be4e2eb6b4a3d7dac106e3.jpeglangdale_001.thumb.jpeg.02388914f9bf3f0cacabd426d06649ff.jpeglangdale_004.thumb.jpeg.c1352e375a9f3ef0b2f472ad3b21a118.jpeglangdale_003.thumb.jpeg.f485fe10672c9c8ac72e311f28be3fb6.jpeglangdale_008.thumb.jpeg.24402ef79f53120dac9530c5a0b937c4.jpeglangdale_006.thumb.jpeg.810a5a1ea76aacbad36d524f69adfcc8.jpeglangdale_005.thumb.jpeg.62f3ab957bc6aacd9394e5b41c0b518b.jpeg

Edited by Yuumo Ichibara
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'm gonna bump this old thread of mine cause it's mine and why not. 😋

Thanks everyone for the feedback, sorry I didn't say so sooner. I ended up making a gigantic leap,  bought up a bunch of land at excellent prices, and built a community! It's definitely been hard work and it's still not completely done (doubt it ever truly will be), but it's been a lot of fun and I hope that maybe others can get some enjoyment out of it too. Come take a look: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mullein/146/205/83.

The community is called Mullein Gap and is located on Heterocera, bisected by Route 3.5. It will also soon be connected to the SLRR, offering subway transportation across the region. The community is almost a full region, taking up nearly all of Mullein and part of Dagger to the south. 

I don't have rental boxes set up everywhere yet, and a lot of the community service buildings are not yet furnished and set up. But if anyone might like to open a shop or rent a home, I'd be willing to cut you a good deal! I'm not looking to make $$ off the community, just hoping to have a place that others can enjoy with me. 

If you have any feedback or suggestions, feel free to reach out! ❤️

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd love to do a YouTube on some of these!

I'm working on one for BayCity now, but if any of you know contacts for any of these other communitites, would you let me know their names? I'll reach out to them in world and see if I can get something set up! 

• Like 4

On 2/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, Antonioo Giano said:

The only advantage of mainland compared to a full sim is that you can have access to roads, sailable water etc... or if  I want an "unique" parcel that I can decorate as I like, for community living so I don't see any advantage comparing it with Linden homes or private sims.

The only similarity I can see is that all 3 Linden Homes, Private Estates and Mainland can or do contain some form of Community 😉  Mainland IS beautiful... maybe you've not visited the right areas?  There are plenty of gorgeous communities on Mainland to suit any sort of taste or lifestyle.  For me the exploring and travelling is at least 50% of my time in Second Life.  I love collecting the Passport Stamps because I have found many Mainland surprises ♥

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I'd love to do a YouTube on some of these!

I'm working on one for BayCity now, but if any of you know contacts for any of these other communitites, would you let me know their names? I'll reach out to them in world and see if I can get something set up! 

That's a great idea! :)

Ummm... Since Greater Coniston has been mentioned several times in this thread, I probably should mention that I had to close it down last week so if you want to make a video of it, it'll have to be a slideshow, not live footage.

• Sad 5

Just now, Feorie Frimon said:

Passport stamps? Is this an actual thing?????  WHAT IS THIS???? I need them to live.

Yes, great idea!!!  This is a vid of how to get a Passport and below is a Video about the BBB.  I think you should contact @Boo Rojyo or @Jezebel Bailey (Executive Bureaucrats) or @Fenella Allen (editor of the BBB Gazette)

Here's a Link to the BBB Gazette!  https://lastditch.typepad.com/bbbgazette/   for all good things related to the Passport Activity!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BJoyful said:

HUGS dear ChinRey, I'm so sorry I had no idea Coniston was in such peril. 😞

Thank you but don't be sorry for me. Keeping the place has been a burden for a long time, draining my energy, time and money, and it's been many years since I truly enjoyed it.

I do feel sorry for the people who liked the place though.

I can and will rebuild my own stuff bigger and better somewhere else (not in SL, the tier here is way too high - unless I can find a sponsor willing to pay a six digit amount of dollars every month) but there were some classic old works by some of the builders I admire the most hidden away in various corners of Greater Coniston and most of them are probably gone for good now.

I'm not sure if I should post this but here are the last pictures of four of them.

Lake Hildring

The part of Sansara Greater Coniston was located in is known as the Hidden Lake District, so it obviously needed a hidden lake somewhere. Featuring one of Hattie Panacek's amazing medieval castles on an island in the middle of it:

bilde.thumb.png.13873db50f230c1bc37934b31bdb6cda.png

More pictures here.

The Village of Kintyre

A quarter sim Dickens inspired christmas village by Cuge Causten. Voted the Best architectural design/build in a virtual world in contest organized by the Virginia Society for Technology in Education (VSTE) in 2013.

60081384_CugesChristmasVillage_007.jpg.880f65c64623f328924fadb6813347a8.jpg

More pictures.

New Atlantis

I've always loved Crazy Mole's works and especially what she made for Nautilus and although I understand why, I think it's a shame that continent never was developed according to the original concept. So I made a little Nautlius village in the sky, using those lovely but so prim heavy houses she made for the continent. I never got around to decorate it but the buildings look great even on their own

838156171_NewAtlantis19-02-16_001.jpg.1c3a30f24dd6084cf4a5bd82493bdb94.jpg

More pictures.

Chateau Le Kia

A ballet themed fairytale castle on a cloud made by Jamez Moonstone as a gift to an SL'er who was suffering from cancer. I don't know much more than that, I don't even know if the recipient ever got the gift. But Jamez once gave me a copy of the castle and of course I had to find a place for it at Coniston. This is the only picture I have.

617172518_ChateauLeKia21-06-23_001.jpg.7778c677bb70c4a60e505fa9a0e2b12b.jpg

Edited by ChinRey
Typos
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, ChinRey said:

That's a great idea! :)

Ummm... Since Greater Coniston has been mentioned several times in this thread, I probably should mention that I had to close it down last week so if you want to make a video of it, it'll have to be a slideshow, not live footage.

I wrote to you inworld when I heard the news but I don't know if you got the message.

I am so very sorry that all your years of hard work, creativity, and dedication were wiped out. The land went to auction with unseemly speed. I realize LL isn't a charity, they're a business. I guess I expect more of them but it's mispaced.

It's a punch in the gut -- and for all of us.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.