World Map still not fuctional

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm just a little wary of that statement.  LL said EEP was fixed, complete and ready to roll out over a year before it appeared in a viewer that many could use, and we have it bugs 'n' all.  So I am not holding my breath...yet. 🤫

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arabellajones said:

So what did they say?

The Lindens must have a hell of a hangover from that farewell party...

What @TT120said but also they've been working on a feature in map that renders mesh better since apparently people have asked for it.  They didn't get into anything in-depth.  You should watch it.

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

What @TT120said but also they've been working on a feature in map that renders mesh better since apparently people have asked for it.  They didn't get into anything in-depth.  You should watch it.

Oh for ....

And people wonder why I take a very dim view of offering "improvement suggestions" when a feature is in need of repair ...

Order of operation should be Fix Broken Thing then Figure Out How to Add Feature.

So for those simultaneously griping that it has been broken so long and offering such "suggestions for improvement" .... Sit down for the remainder of the time it takes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Oh for ....

And people wonder why I take a very dim view of offering "improvement suggestions" when a feature is in need of repair ...

Order of operation should be Fix Broken Thing then Figure Out How to Add Feature.

So for those simultaneously griping that it has been broken so long and offering such "suggestions for improvement" .... Sit down for the remainder of the time it takes.

If I remember correctly (not rewatching), the mesh rendering was started before the uplift and then the map broke which put the new feature on hold until they fixed what was broken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If I remember correctly (not rewatching), the mesh rendering was started before the uplift and then the map broke which put the new feature on hold until they fixed what was broken.

I somewhat hope such is the case though to be somewhat honest I really don't see the purpose of adding Mesh Rendering to the Map. Not in much detail at any rate.

The existing system never showed all that much detail to begin with - as far as non-mesh objects are concerned - which made its usefulness/utility beyond general orientation rather questionable.

Without - needlessly mind you - adding in some way to have more than a simple Top Down view .... Yeah, not much point really, just one more thing the system has to crunch. Sure, it's no longer their own dedicated hardware doing it but that point remains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

I somewhat hope such is the case though to be somewhat honest I really don't see the purpose of adding Mesh Rendering to the Map. Not in much detail at any rate.

The existing system never showed all that much detail to begin with - as far as non-mesh objects are concerned - which made its usefulness/utility beyond general orientation rather questionable.

Without - needlessly mind you - adding in some way to have more than a simple Top Down view .... Yeah, not much point really, just one more thing the system has to crunch. Sure, it's no longer their own dedicated hardware doing it but that point remains.

I didn't really see the point either.  

3 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Reading between the lines from when I attended the server user group meetings, that isn't the order of priority. If 500 people want to look more beautiful and 50 people want their broken toys fixed, democracy (and to some extent normal business practice) dictates the order of operation.

I script things to make them move around, in the current state of low script run % figures this means most of the time they crawl and judder along. It's been over a year now and there's still no fix, but, EEP was higher on the list, followed by uplift, and I can see the logic to their priorities, thousands of residents get better photography opportunities with EEP, everybody gets a secure platform future with uplift (*), but only myself and a few other puppeteers get put out because our toys break.

(*) before you all pile in on me, my tongue is so far in my cheek it's actually poking out of my ask-no-questions).

• Like 2

I just need a map I can zoom out on to get a bigger view.  I don't really care about mesh rendering.  Seems like a stupid thing to do to add features to a broken map.  Fix the map first then add crap to it....sheesh....This is second grade stuff here guys......

1 hour ago, TT120 said:

I just need a map I can zoom out on to get a bigger view.  I don't really care about mesh rendering.  Seems like a stupid thing to do to add features to a broken map.  Fix the map first then add crap to it....sheesh....This is second grade stuff here guys......

Well,.that's what I said.  The upgrade was being worked on before the uplift and since then, the map hasn't worked so the upgrade has been shelved for now.

They weren't going to add the features to the broken map.

17 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well,.that's what I said.  The upgrade was being worked on before the uplift and since then, the map hasn't worked so the upgrade has been shelved for now.

They weren't going to add the features to the broken map.

This is not a thing. It has only been a suggestion/wishlist item brought up in the server and content creation meetings recently.

Oz said in the interview that there are no map features being worked on, only getting the operation working again.

Map features can come later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Begun" may have a low threshold.

But yeah, it's clear they're still struggling to restore the old Map functionality, not working on any new Map features. I'm still a little puzzled how anything could be so architecturally dependent on the old hosting arrangement that it can't be fitted to the cloud after three months.

I'm thinking "Architecture" may be carrying water for some broken processes here.

• Like 5

Not everything one might want to know, but progress, just mentioned at the sim user group:

[12:10] Simon Linden: oh wait ... it's not here yet, but there has been some good progress on maps.   I don't have a predicted date for release but the code is making some maps and the zoomed back levels ... now it has to be packed up to run nicely in AWS

(I think Simon is relaying the news about progress by other developer(s), but I could be wrong about that.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.