Is it possible to just wander around in SL?

palmiera

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Go almost anywhere in Bellisseria and start following the roads.  As long as you stay of roads or paths, or are cutting cross-country and avoiding resident parcels, you are on Protected Land, which is open for anyone to visit.  I have hiked, swum, and ridden all over Bellisseria, as documented in travelogues I posted in the Linden Homes Photo Thread from mid-summer 2019 through the first months of the pandemic.  Many other residents have done the same thing, so I have met a lot of other riders on horseback, likers, and mermaids on my travels.  The continent keeps growing all the time too, so there are always new places to explore, from the ridgetops to the valleys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Go almost anywhere in Bellisseria and start following the roads.  As long as you stay of roads or paths, or are cutting cross-country and avoiding resident parcels, you are on Protected Land, which is open for anyone to visit.  I have hiked, swum, and ridden all over Bellisseria, as documented in travelogues I posted in the Linden Homes Photo Thread from mid-summer 2019 through the first months of the pandemic.  Many other residents have done the same thing, so I have met a lot of other riders on horseback, likers, and mermaids on my travels.  The continent keeps growing all the time too, so there are always new places to explore, from the ridgetops to the valleys.

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll check out your thread as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, palmiera said:

I'll check out your thread as well.

Thanks.  It's hardly my thread, though.  It's a very long thread with contributions from residents and visitors who have been documenting their own homes and travel experiences in Bellisseria for the past two years.  I had fun with my own day quests, but a huge number of other people have posted lovely photos to show what they have done with their homes and what their favorite places look like.  It's a fun thread to wander through if you want inspiration, because some of the most interesting places are out-of-the-way canyons and hidden copses, seafloor grottoes, and secret gardens that you might never know about if someone else hadn't posted a snapshot.

• Thanks 1

On 07/02/2021 at 9:01 PM, palmiera said:

I'm going to get a horse in SL and I wondered whether there are roads or paths that run through Second Life, where I can go for a long time and hopefully see unexpected sights.

If those roads or paths exist, how can I find them?

thanks.

🤔🙄

Honestly,i don't know the correct answer for this.

But i have been to places which are exclusive for bike rides.

Long roads yeah,

But i dont know if it is possible to travel from one end to another around SL like in a game.

Coz each place is different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KanzulR said:

But i dont know if it is possible to travel from one end to another around SL like in a game.

You're quite right.  It is not possible to follow one road or even a set of roads and visit everywhere in SL.  For one thing, two thirds of Second Life is in private estates, not connected to the Linden-owned continents.  For another, the large continents that are Linden owned are not all connected to each other either.  Some of them have navigable water between them, but not all.  Still, you can visit many places by teleport, unless the region owners have closed them to outsiders.  So, you can TP to a new destination, rez your bicycle or car, and explore that area.  That will work in all of the Linden continents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of the Linden continents have road networks that will take you through a lot of the continent. You can find maps on the continents and their roads at an Explorers Information Centre - the one on Corsica is at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Shempo/244/232/96

The maps are old, but are still current in terms of showing the different roads on the various continents.  Clicking on maps there should give you a copy of the map plus LM's for the various Explorer Information Centres on the various continents.  

• Like 2

The answer: YES.

There are groups that travel SL. Get The Freight Out (GTFO) is one. They have great maps based on public maps of SL. They are interested in driving, flying, boating, and sailing to move fright as a game with scoring. Finding places to rez their vehicles is a key thing for them.

Mainland is considered the Linden owned land and land parcels sold to individuals that makes up the continents. You can find a number of them in the marketplace. Search on continent maps NOT uv NOT texture.

There are railroads in SL. You can ride along the right-of-way for those.

We have an ongoing challenge in SL balancing private land versus right to pass. Individuals and land owners use parcel banning and security orbs to insure people stay out. The problem is they often do not consider anyone other than their self when setting those up. As you travel you will run into security orbs that send you home. These are no more than an annoyance, mostly to you. You won't get kicked out of SL for trespass. When orbs reach into public land you can Abuse Report them. The Lindens will have the owner correct the problem.

For those flying, the marketplace has HUDs that detect banned parcels so one can avoid them. They are handy for more than just fliers. Shergood Aviation maintains a map that shows problem security orbs in flight paths so the can be avoided. It is a very neat real time updating map. The near RL navigation systems in Shergood aircraft add info to the system.

Abandoned land the Lindens have retaken seldom has restrictions.

Finding places to rez vehicles (horse in your case) is a bit tricky. In Bellisseria the rez zones for vehicles are well marked. For boats there are rez zones at every light house. For vehicles there are rez zones at a lot of the dead end streets in Bellisseria. Airports in Bellisseria tend to be on islands. :(On the mainland look for airports and marinas. They are well marked on the World Map in-viewer. Look for GTFO hubs every where. Many are at ports and airports or are marked an an airport but many are on private land and are only known to GTFO players.

As you get some experience traveling in SL you'll get sense of how this works. Have no fear. While people can kick you out of their parcel, home, yard, club, or region it is not a big thing. UNLESS... you are causing problems. SL is much like the Romans were when it came to disturbing the peace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.