IMVU aims Second Life with an agressive Marketing Campaign

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What are you thoughts about this Second Lifers, 

Lately IMVU has this entire page dedicated to " IMVU vs Second Life" where IMVU describe themselves as "Award winning virtual world in graphics, and to be somehow better than Second Life"

its on IMVU official website made by IMVU, its a direct agressive marketing.

Right below 

https://about.imvu.com/imvu-vs-second-life#:~:text=Like many virtual worlds%2C Second,in the whole wide world!&text=Looks like at IMVU more is…a LOT more.

proof.thumb.png.19dd5a2e9461765d4f4490a845f1ad6c.png

Edited by Bollycoco Dallas
Correction
  • Haha 9

16 minutes ago, Bollycoco Dallas said:

What are you thoughts ..

why is it bothering you?

my thoughts?... i'm fine in SL and as long i am fine i have no intentions to change to whatever other life out there ..

[edit] if IMVU is a stable platform.. they have a giant + on SL since some months.. it's not really great advertising for the product.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

• Bollycoco Dallas changed the title to IMVU aims Second Life with an agressive Marketing Campaign
19 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

why is it bothering you?

my thoughts?... i'm fine in SL and as long i am fine i have no intentions to change to whatever other life out there ..

[edit] if IMVU is a stable platform.. they have a giant + on SL since some months.. it's not really great advertising for the product.

For the one and only reason that it pushes the players to compete in an agressive way, does Facebook address its concurrents the same way to market themselves no its irresponsible 

Thank you for your reaction 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bollycoco Dallas said:

For the one and only reason that it pushes the players to compete in an agressive way,

i don't feel pushed in any way... I really don't see it. If people want to stay or go, or do both... do so...

i seriously can't be bothered by the free credits  ... nor the graphic details.. SL is fine for me on those points.
and this

if you’re looking for a virtual world with cutting edge technology where you can create really meaningful interactions with people from all over the world while looking totally fly, IMVU is the clear winner!

thats just advertising language it says totally nothing, because meaningfull interactions?....i had those on ICQ, ISPQ, MSN and so on too ...

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Bollycoco Dallas said:

What are you thoughts about this Second Lifers, 

Lately IMVU has this entire page dedicated to " IMVU vs Second Life" where IMVU describe themselves as "Award winning virtual world in graphics, and to be somehow better than Second Life"

its on IMVU official website made by IMVU, its a direct agressive marketing.

Right below 

https://about.imvu.com/imvu-vs-second-life#:~:text=Like many virtual worlds%2C Second,in the whole wide world!&text=Looks like at IMVU more is…a LOT more.

proof.thumb.png.19dd5a2e9461765d4f4490a845f1ad6c.png

That poke through on the thigh of the figure on the right.... I have to wonder why no one in their marketing thought that flaw was okay.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KjartanEno said:

That poke through on the thigh of the figure on the right.... I have to wonder why no one in their marketing thought that flaw was okay.

Because thats no marketing flaw that is ass good as IMVU can look, for most people I saw screenshots of it looks even worse xD They do not HAVE any better pics! :3

I think this is going to backfire on IMVU. Most of their users have probably never heard of SL... until now.

I hear a lot of new arrivals in SL say they came from IMVU but I never once heard of anyone switching the other way, except to try it, and then come back and say how much it sucked.

• Like 8

I said I visited IMVU for one day many, many years ago and found it was far too limiting and the avatars weren't as good as for SL.  These are okay that you show in your pic but the av's you show above are years and years later.  

But, I'm going to tell you straight up here that I am not going to IMVU to create as I have at least $500 dollars worth of textures and other full perm items that I am under user license to use only here in SL.  I am not going to get messed up in that!  Even though I make many of my own textures, I still use a lot as is.  Plus I have more work here in SL than I could ever accomplish.  I could build for SL through eternity and never finish, and that's the truth.  My MP store may seem small but I sell a lot of limited edition exclusives only inworld.   Plus, there's no Dinkies in IMVU, so I will stay with my tiny humanimal friends.  But, to state this short, I ONLY create for SL and will never go anywhere else as I could never finish here in the first place.  And, if I wanted to chase money...I'd do that with real life work.

55 minutes ago, Karly Kiyori said:

I think this is going to backfire on IMVU. Most of their users have probably never heard of SL... until now.

I hear a lot of new arrivals in SL say they came from IMVU but I never once heard of anyone switching the other way, except to try it, and then come back and say how much it sucked.

I agree with this.    

• Like 3

To me IMVU is pointless:

a) I use Linux primarily, and IMVU has no native client.

b) I use Android, and there is no Android client for IMVU.

c) I prefer creatures with snouts, and I've yet to see anything like that on the ad pages from IMVU. Those things called "furries" look like kids that got fingerpaint into their hands.

d) I am one person. I am in one location. In IMVU people hang out in parallel at multiple locations. Whilstthat makes it maybe more ... interesting than SL at times, it confuses the heck out of me

e) I am an adult. IMVU seems to me stuck, by designs, behaviour and rules, in the area of eternal teenagerdom. No thanks, not for me.

• Like 3

If you read the "award" that IMVU got from Lifewire, it literally describes everything Sl offers on a much larger, and grander, scale, lol.  Even AW (Active Worlds) scored higher than IMVU, lmao. 

Not much worth bragging about, really, though, they aren't even actual awards, it's just a product review. 

The link for the "awards"

https://www.lifewire.com/best-virtual-world-games-840474

Any company, like IMVU, that has to intentionally advertise that way is only doing so, because they're hurting in some fashion. Likely, they are tired of losing players to other products, so someone suggested some kind of aggressive marketing tactic aimed primarily at people who use SL, which is their biggest (and most successful) competitor. They know most players venture away form IMVU to SL, and seem to think they can stop that, or somehow lure SL residents there, with this tactic. In reality, it'll backfire and make people question them more than desire to join, lol. It's a rather stupid tactic when being used by a company on somewhat shaky ground, as they currently are (lots are, not entirely their fault, but they've offered a subpar product for a long time now). 

Makes me laugh and feel sorry for the employees of IMVU more than it bothers me.  They're trying a wee bit too hard here. 

• Like 5

"We"  know SL is far superior. BUT there's no denying the website side of sl is seriously overdue a huge overhaul. That includes the MP. I'm sorry to add to your workload LL I surely am. Us lot inworld havin' a blast on the sweat from your labored brows. Awww

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 5

I met someone once, long time ago- that came over to check us out from IMVU- and I followed her back into that world as I was curious.. and.. hated it?  Unless they've changed it, you don't actually get to move around.  you just go from pose position to pose position, don't you?  I'm sorry, I can go to the dollar store and get cut-out paper dolls if I want to do that.  It felt very 'flat' and two-dimensional.  On my poor hardware, I can't deny the graphics looked better- but then my GPU didn't have to do as much, either.  Sit here, stand there.  There's no exploration, no feel of anything 'real' that you can move and interact with, as SL.  My interest in it lasted about a week, tops- maybe not even that.  If they wanna point SL out, then yes I think it might just backfire on them.  

And has been said- I use Linux.  IMVU is Windoze only.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not surprised IMVU is trying so hard to be #1 platform to beat SL but frankly IMVU is losing that battle because people on IMVU are slowly moving to SL. There is a lot of issues going on within the IMVU community that is not good. A lot of things broken where if people make enemies or have a dispute with someone it comes to annoyance with people following others. Just think of it like Twitter with follow me here button and let me display everything publicly. Oh and the staff don't really help with anything and are bots 100%. More or so anymore IMVU has become a ground for underage children where new accounts being made are not monitored on the adult side of IMVU since there is a teen server for it. SL has been on the rise while IMVU is slacking on pretty much everything. I say am glad I moved to SL back in 2018 and I still have my IMVU account but don't log into the client because its so boring there barely anyone talks in rooms or even role-plays anymore more so people seem more dramatic and toxic on IMVU and the block button is not even functional. I'm also going to add this here. 

Many IMVU users who have tried SL have found it difficult to use for the viewers and give up within one day and will go back to IMVU, Last year one of my friends  decided to try SL and I helped her out and since then she has never logged into her IMVU account but enjoys SL. IMVU is easier to understand but it takes time to learn SL properly and even then with the new changes and add ons to viewers these days SL seems to be thriving more and more. 

Edited by xxVi3perxx
Added info.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xxVi3perxx said:

Many IMVU users who have tried SL have found it difficult to use for the viewers and give up within one day and will go back to IMVU, Last year one of my friends  decided to try SL and I helped her out and since then she has never logged into her IMVU account but enjoys SL. IMVU is easier to understand but it takes time to learn SL properly and even then with the new changes and add ons to viewers these days SL seems to be thriving more and more. 

I can attest to that. My daughter came from IMVU and she has a hard time with the UI. Luckily, she found me and I've been showing her the ropes. There's also a technical hurdle when going from IMVU to SL. IMVU doesn't require that much to log on to it, SL you need a pretty decent PC to avoid a lot of headaches to avoid more headaches that come with running a lower spec PC.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I can attest to that. My daughter came from IMVU and she has a hard time with the UI. Luckily, she found me and I've been showing her the ropes. There's also a technical hurdle when going from IMVU to SL. IMVU doesn't require that much to log on to it, SL you need a pretty decent PC to avoid a lot of headaches to avoid more headaches that come with running a lower spec PC.

I can say that my Desktop PC can run SL but it lags plus I have an outdated Video card that is needing a new one but I am using my MacBook Pro from college and it can run SL with some lag depending on the traffic of places.

• 2 years later...

Well, after 2 years I see where IMVU has one advantage:
They are either more logical, or less caring, about a lot of things.
Maybe both.
In SL, you rent space for adult content in an adult sim.
A year later, a bunch of kid avatars troops through the place.

I was shocked kiddy avatars can enter adult spaces, though I later learned that is in and of itself possible and permissable.

But they disturbed an adult RP.

And, even better, the people that got perma banned weren't those kiddy avatar users... but those active at the place I had rented.

That logic basically lets my brain melt.

That LL does Permabans for stuff that is another persons error is weird enough.

But even better, even if one would be psychic, not affected by stuff like lag and such:
Shouldn't there be just like, say, a 1 month ban to make people consider to avoid such places or to implement aggressive access regulations?
It's not as if SL's system is always 100% smooth, or always reliable. it's easy enough to disconnect and reconnect to some location one visited 15 minutes earlier because data wasnt updated.

Such self-inflicted idiocity is one of the best things going for IMVU I guess: They don't care, or behave a lot more sane and reasonable, and don't throw permabans and pretty low key accusations around.

My friends were pretty angry with me that I hadn't , basically, locked out everyone else from my place. But just because I rented a flat doesn't give me access to the land tool or whatever is needed to implement access limitations based on avatar size.

All that stress with my real life friends wouldn't have happened with IMVU. But luckily their Avatar designs are that crap that I still don't need to look there for a new place for my friends and me.

Nope, OpenSim / OSGrid is the future.

Until LindenLabs reconsiders their own policies I just know I'm not going to invest time or money, and also won't support any SL based charities or recommend it to others.
Instead, for me, it's just the technologically better alternative to IMVU, but not the place to invest time or money.
That's OpenSim from now on.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.