i'm lookin for a FREE translator, yes/no?

supapuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

helo am user from second life, sorry for my bed england.

you guys from this forum are actually poggers and really helpful ♥ so thanks in advanced. not sure if i chose the right theme forum topic but i'll give it a try.

i am looking for a free translator, do you guys know where i could get a reliable one? i've been looking for one for some time but it's been kinda futile.

it has to be one that can allow me to change languages, type something in chat with language chosen, and one that automatically translate what the OTHER person says as well !

it seems now that most are discontinued nowdays, and i kept getting gifted the "Metanomics" translator, but for some reason it tosses me a script error, unable to fix it, or it might be as well discontinued or old. 

Forget what I typed below, it's not working..

Below is the link to Google Translate.. You can access Google Translate from the browser within the second life viewer..

If you open the search in the second life viewer.. Choose web search, then you can  copy and paste this link into the web search https://translate.google.com/

That search  will take you to google translate.. Which you can use inside second life.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Forget what I typed below, it's not working..

Below is the link to Google Translate.. You can access Google Translate from the browser within the second life viewer..

If you open the search in the second life viewer.. Choose web search, then you can  copy and paste this link into the web search https://translate.google.com/

That search  will take you to google translate.. Which you can use inside second life.

darn >~<

If you use Firestorm you can set the home page of the built-in browser to Google Translate (Preferences/Network & Files/Connection), and you can open it using Ctrl+Shift+Z or a toolbar button.

Also, I guess you could make a gesture that chats the link. Not very elegant, though.

Edited by KT Kingsley

6 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Google and other services discontinued the free api that allowed direct access to the translate api's,  why, I'm not sure, but this happened least 5+ years ago.  

because of the sheer bloody volume of inane club chatter and gesture rubbish they were getting from SL translator scripts

Oh, I forgot the infohub spewage.  I am sure that "helped".

Edited by Ardy Lay

6 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

because of the sheer bloody volume of inane club chatter and gesture rubbish they were getting from SL translator scripts

Oh, I forgot the infohub spewage.  I am sure that "helped".

This and the fact that the $$$$$ making machine that is Google saw yet another way to pull in people so that got used to the app and then put it behind a paywall.

In the distant past I've created a very simple "translator" script that used Shared Media, for a friend - that maybe does not translate what the person says to other people (to a degree; the person still may copy-paste output from the Google Translator after something was said), but at least does translate what other people say to this person. Script is also very evil, as it does listen on public channel 0 for everything, filters out avatars later - so it should be worn only if absolutely necessary. Plus - it is suitable only for a rather quiet environment, as its rather slow - llSetPrimMediaParams() function has a built-in sleep and loading page can take 2-3 seconds as well; It works only in the same region, has 1024 URL characters limit. Still, the person who got it was happy enough, as was able to listen to written classes / lectures without  much of a problem - now he doesn't need it any more, as he knows German well enough. ;) Maybe it will be useful in this topic as well, as from what I see some solutions here suggest to play around with Google Translate, too.

As a HUD, I suggest to attach a cube prim to the upper right corner of the screen, at position <0.0, 0.4, -0.2>, with size <0.75, 0.35, 0.5>, rotation <0.0, 270.0, 270.0> and 15-20% transparency. And then click on it in order to activate.

// Target language code - format is ISO 639-1, two letters
string gTargetLanguage = "en";
integer gMediaFace = 0;

{
    on_rez(integer sp)
    {
        llResetScript();
    }

state_entry()
    {
        llSetPrimMediaParams(gMediaFace, [
            PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_PLAY, TRUE,
            PRIM_MEDIA_CURRENT_URL, "https://translate.google.com",
            PRIM_MEDIA_HOME_URL, "https://translate.google.com",
            PRIM_MEDIA_HEIGHT_PIXELS, 512,
            PRIM_MEDIA_WIDTH_PIXELS, 1024,
            PRIM_MEDIA_CONTROLS, PRIM_MEDIA_CONTROLS_MINI,
            PRIM_MEDIA_PERMS_INTERACT, PRIM_MEDIA_PERM_OWNER,
            PRIM_MEDIA_PERMS_CONTROL, PRIM_MEDIA_PERM_OWNER
        ]);
        llListen(PUBLIC_CHANNEL, "", NULL_KEY, "");
        llOwnerSay("Listener ready. Remember to take me off when I'm not needed.");
    }

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)
    {
        if (llGetAgentSize(id) != ZERO_VECTOR)
        {
            llSetPrimMediaParams(gMediaFace, [
                PRIM_MEDIA_CURRENT_URL, 
                llGetSubString("https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=" + gTargetLanguage + "&text=" + message + "&op=translate", 0, 1023)
            ]);
        }
    }

}

Edited by panterapolnocy

On 2/5/2021 at 3:24 AM, supapuff said:

you guys from this forum are actually poggers and really helpful ♥ so thanks in advanced. not sure if i chose the right theme forum topic but i'll give it a try.

i am looking for a free translator, do you guys know where i could get a reliable one? i've been looking for one for some time but it's been kinda futile.

it has to be one that can allow me to change languages, type something in chat with language chosen, and one that automatically translate what the OTHER person says as well !

it seems now that most are discontinued nowdays, and i kept getting gifted the "Metanomics" translator, but for some reason it tosses me a script error, unable to fix it, or it might be as well discontinued or old. 

Just tab out of Second Life and go to Google Translate, and paste in the box, then paste the answer in chat.

It's faster than you think.

There aren't translators any more, Google withdrew the API.

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Just tab out of Second Life and go to Google Translate, and paste in the box, then paste the answer in chat.

It's faster than you think.

There aren't translators any more, Google withdrew the API.

That's what i was suggesting, but instead using the internal browser so you didn't have to minimize the viewer each time..

Just paste the link in chat, right click the link and choose internal browser and it will take you to google translate.. you can minimize the internal browser in world and pop it back up when you need it.

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's what i was suggesting, but instead using the internal browser so you didn't have to minimize the viewer each time..

Just paste the link in chat, right click the link and choose internal browser and it will take you to google translate.. you can minimize the internal browser in world and pop it back up when you need it.

The internal browser lags so much and takes so much time that it's much faster to just tab down SL and do it that way.

3 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The internal browser lags so much and takes so much time that it's much faster to just tab down SL and do it that way.

I think that will vary from user to user and their setup and connection.. Mine works just as quick as using my regular browser.. I use it all the time, especially when searching on the market place..

I agree, It may be faster for some users to minimize..

For a few years, I used the Google translator in Firestorm. It never cost over a few dollars per month, usually less than $2.00. I considered it to be well worth the cost. Some time ago, Google changed their interface and nomenclature, and I can't figure out where to find the code that I need to paste into Firestorm to make it work.

I really wish I could find step-by-step instructions, but I have not been able to.

6 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I can't figure out where to find the code that I need to paste into Firestorm to make it work.

As others have noted in this thread, Google killed their API a few years ago, so any code you might find is useless now. 

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

As others have noted in this thread, Google killed their API a few years ago, so any code you might find is useless now. 

So what is this all about? I thought, when I read that page and associated pages, which include discussion of integrating Google Translation into apps, that it would still be possible for a viewer, which is an app, to use it, but I guess not. It even says there, "Find out how Hyperconnect is leveraging Translation API to break down language barriers in video chats." Seems like, if it could work for video chat, it could work for text chat in a viewer. However, I certainly have nowhere near Rolig's level of understanding.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle

On 2/5/2021 at 3:24 AM, supapuff said:

I have a wearable translator script I picked up somewhere that seems to still work. Copy/paste the code into a script and pop it into a wearable prim.

key queryA = NULL_KEY;
key queryB = NULL_KEY;
key queryC = NULL_KEY;
key owner = NULL_KEY;
string baseurl1 = "http://api.microsofttranslator.com/V1/Http.svc/Translate?appId=AD01C410D14726E2CE573AB17F1B0D1F260F946A";
string baseurl2 = "http://api.microsofttranslator.com/V1/Http.svc/Detect?appId=AD01C410D14726E2CE573AB17F1B0D1F260F946A";
string fromlang = "en";
string tolang = "es";
integer menuchanA = 14856354;
integer menuchanB = 16871865;
string speaker = "";
string msg = "";

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetText("Select your language", <1,1,0>, 1);
        owner = llGetOwner();
        llListen(0, "", NULL_KEY, "");
        llListen(menuchanA, "", owner, "");
        llListen(menuchanB, "", owner, "");
        llDialog(owner, "\n\nPlease choose your Native Language:", ["ar", "bg", "zh-CHS", "zh-CHT", "cs", "da", "nl", "en", "ht", "fi", "Page 2", "Page 3"], menuchanA);
    }

on_rez(integer num)
    {
        llResetScript();
    }

touch_start(integer num)
    {
        key id = llDetectedKey(0);
        if (id == owner)
            llDialog(owner, "\n\nPlease choose your Native Language:", ["ar", "bg", "zh-CHS", "zh-CHT", "cs", "da", "nl", "en", "ht", "fi", "Page 2", "Page 3"], menuchanA);
    }

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)
    {
        if (channel == 0)
        {
            if (id == owner)
            {
                if (fromlang != tolang)
                {
                    string url = baseurl1 + "&from=" + fromlang + "&to=" + tolang;
                    queryA = llHTTPRequest(url, [HTTP_METHOD, "POST"], message);
                }
            }
            else
            {
                speaker = name;
                msg = message;
                queryB = llHTTPRequest(baseurl2, [HTTP_METHOD, "POST"], message);
            }
        }
        else if (channel == menuchanA)
        {
            if (message == "Page 2")
                llDialog(owner, "\n\nPlease choose your Native Language:", ["fr", "de", "el", "he", "it", "ja", "ko", "pl", "pt", "ru", "Page 1", "Page 3"], menuchanA);
            else if (message == "Page 1")
            else if (message == "Page 3")
                llDialog(owner, "\n\nPlease choose your Native Language:", ["es", "sv", "th", "ro", "Page 1", "Page 2"], menuchanA);
            else
            {
                llSetText("Choose a translation language", <1,1,0>, 1);
                fromlang = message;
                llDialog(owner, "\n\nPlease choose a Translation Language:", ["ar", "bg", "zh-CHS", "zh-CHT", "cs", "da", "nl", "en", "ht", "fi", "Page 2", "Page 3"], menuchanB);
            }
        }
        else if (channel == menuchanB)
        {
            if (message == "Page 2")
                llDialog(owner, "\n\nPlease choose a Translation Language:", ["fr", "de", "el", "he", "it", "ja", "ko", "pl", "pt", "ru", "Page 1", "Page 3"], menuchanB);
            else if (message == "Page 1")
                llDialog(owner, "\n\nPlease choose a Translation Language:", ["ar", "bg", "zh-CHS", "zh-CHT", "cs", "da", "nl", "en", "ht", "fi", "Page 2", "Page 3"], menuchanB);
            else if (message == "Page 3")
                llDialog(owner, "\n\nPlease choose a Translation Language:", ["es", "sv", "th", "ro", "Page 1", "Page 2"], menuchanB);
            else
            {
                tolang = message;
                llSetText("Ready", <0,1,0>, 1);
                llSleep(0.5);
                llSetText("", <1,1,1>, 1);
            }
        }
    }

http_response(key id, integer status, list metadata, string body)
    {
        if (id == queryA)
        {
            string myname = llGetObjectName();
            string newname = llKey2Name(owner) + " (" + fromlang + " -> " + tolang + ")";
            llSetObjectName(newname);
            llSay(0, body);
            llSetObjectName(myname);
        }
        else if (id == queryB)
        {
            string lang = llEscapeURL(body);
            lang = llGetSubString(lang, 9, -1);
            if (lang != fromlang)
            {
                string url = baseurl1 + "&from=" + lang + "&to=" + fromlang;
                queryC = llHTTPRequest(url, [HTTP_METHOD, "POST"], msg);
            }
        }
        else if (id == queryC)
        {
            string myname = llGetObjectName();
            string newname = speaker + " (" + fromlang + ")";
            llSetObjectName(newname);
            llOwnerSay(body);
            llSetObjectName(myname);
        }
    }
}

No warranty or support nor responsibility if it steals all your data!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.