Shared Ban System?

zyf444e668

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am curious if anyone has ever made a system which makes bans the same for multiple parcels?

Like if my neighbor bans a troublesome griefer and both of our lists has too many people to know who gets banned and no communication is brought, then my parcel will have the person banned automatically so i don't have to.

10 answers to this question

On 2/5/2021 at 2:22 AM, zyf444e668 said:

I am curious if anyone has ever made a system which makes bans the same for multiple parcels?

Like if my neighbor bans a troublesome griefer and both of our lists has too many people to know who gets banned and no communication is brought, then my parcel will have the person banned automatically so i don't have to.

Yes, and it always ends in tears.

There have been multiple experiments of this type over the years by different companies or different powers groups of people.

It always seems like a great idea at first to save the chore of having to add individual names to individual parcels. But what happens in reality is that different properties have different criteria for what a griefer is.

Let's say a furry shoots off a gun in a club where no weapons are allowed. That same person rents from me also on a quiet sim where he has never taken out his weapons. Why should I have to port that ban from another situation into my situation and lose a customer?

Or let's say somebody dumps their boyfriend and bans him from their land and surrounding parcels on group land. Why should this person banned in a personal situation be universally banned throughout SL? 

There are basic principles of justice like "the right to be informed of the charges against you" and "the right to counsel" and "the right to face your accusers" and so on -- they don't obtain in SL obviously, but there's no sense in violating them even more by universal ban lists.

Certain figures would ban me from entire sims or shopping malls or get their friends to do so because they didn't like my criticism of them and their insider relations with the Lindens or criticism of the policy positions they too on things like security orbs or pods or elevator scripts or events lists. Why should political differences be translated into land bans for law-abiding people? 

It begins to cripple the economy when you do this.

Most real griefers get banned by the Lindens after enough abuse reports so that the proliferation of their names to multiple universal ban lists is pointless and just takes up space.

It really is much more effective to ban only people you have a reason to. Get to know your neighbour and ask them what their ban list is about, it's helpful to have real-time real contact like that.

I can say that groups that tried to impose these universal ban devices in SL usually failed. Everybody likes the idea until they find themselves on the list, which can happen for the most outlandish reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zyf444e668 said:

i don't know any on parcel/neighbour level. But there's a giant network of connected security by Voodoo .. anyone on that list ( you won't see the names) will be ejected...also friends if they are banned at those connected places.

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i don't know any on parcel/neighbour level. But there's a giant network of connected security by Voodoo .. anyone on that list ( you won't see the names) will be ejected...also friends if they are banned at those connected places.

If anybody else knows anything else or has other recommendations, feel free to post!

Edited by zyf444e668

Please leave Voodoo alone. It can seem to be a convenient way to automatically ban "bad" people, but it does not really know if the people it bans are "bad", only that some other user of the system did not like them for some reason.

Make your own ban decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Please leave Voodoo alone. It can seem to be a convenient way to automatically ban "bad" people, but it does not really know if the people it bans are "bad", only that some other user of the system did not like them for some reason.

Make your own ban decisions.

Well might have to go that route.

Edited by zyf444e668

7 hours ago, zyf444e668 said:

Deep problems emerge when you create an automated system to amplify and propagate the historically profoundly flawed and easily deceived adjudications of community governance on Second Life. You might be an unwitting participant in a literal human atrocity if you allow your own land's parcel security to be managed by such a network.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zyf444e668 said:

After further evaluation, i am not going to use any systems and just do it the old fashion way.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, zyf444e668 said:

After further evaluation, i am not going to use any systems and just do it the old fashion way.

That's fine, but if you and your immediate neighbor(s) all trust each other to be sensible about who gets banned, this doesn't need to be the same kind of drama magnet as a large scale network ban system. I'm sure there must be plenty of scripts available for this; the basics are pretty straightforward, using the LSL functions

assuming all the parcels are using "blacklist" bans, not "whitelist" passes. The main challenges are that there's no way for a script to read a parcel's banlist (so all shared bans must be done through a script, not manually), and scripts on all the parcels will need to communicate amongst themselves (because these functions can only affect the parcel where the script is located, and that script must be owned by the parcel's landowner). Seems like a reasonable project for a fledgling scripter.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:50 AM, Chroma Starlight said:

Deep problems emerge when you create an automated system to amplify and propagate the historically profoundly flawed and easily deceived adjudications of community governance on Second Life. You might be an unwitting participant in a literal human atrocity if you allow your own land's parcel security to be managed by such a network.

I agree that the "commuuuunity" is often profoundly flawed and easily deceived and reaches easily for authoritarianism.

I think few things happening in a virtual world really could quality as a "literal human atrocity", however.

But yeah, if some day-old griefer using my company name and claiming to be a bot joins a group and spouts racist, insane nonsense, if you globally ban me and not him; if you AR me, and not him; if you can't read a profile of someone in SL for 16 years with a business and realize they can't be a griefer, and would not ever advertise rentals in such a crazy way -- and realize that some idiot with time on his hands has figured out a very good way to social engineer spreading hatred and confusion -- then hey, I don't need to shop at your mall when you ban me in this idiocy. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.