Predecorated homes on lands exist anymore ?

NeekyN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking for a predecorated sim or house. The house must have an upstairs & downstairs, 3 to 4 bedrooms with the same amount of bathrooms, beyou friendly kitchen, & backyard open space. if anyone knows someone or has something, it would be greatly appreciated!

26 minutes ago, NeekyN said:

I am looking for a predecorated sim or house. The house must have an upstairs & downstairs, 3 to 4 bedrooms with the same amount of bathrooms, beyou friendly kitchen, & backyard open space. if anyone knows someone or has something, it would be greatly appreciated!

You might want to try posting in one of the other land forums. Linden Homes do not come pre-furnished, and are not available for rent.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NeekyN said:

Check out the parcels for rent in that forum:  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/290-parcels-for-rent-mainland/   Also, many, many estate groups in SL offer furnished rentals and the search can be quite fun.  You can also try the search for rentals inworld in the SL search.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, NeekyN said:

I have decorated rooms and skyboxes only in my rentals business. That's doable, but somewhat of a fool's errand because many people want to remove or change some or all of the furniture. I charge $25 L to remove or add furniture, but that's not much of a fee so they might keep me very busy putting and taking many times. More than that I couldn't charge, however... They will just move on to one of those holodeck type rentals with changing scenes.

For a house with all the rooms you want, it's a big chore. People will come in and say take all of that out, or take some of that out, or why isn't there an island in the kitchen, or why...

You get the idea.

I just couldn't afford the time or money to put out an offering like that, and few could, which is why you will have a hard time finding it.

When I first started my B&B system, I wanted to see how much time it would consume. So I decided to try experiments -- provide some little cabins furnished where nothing could be changed, only all of it could be removed, on the one hand, and on the other, to allow whoever came along randomly and asked to furnish a skybox differently than the way I had done it, to get to ask for anything, repeatedly.

I was totally astounded at what a time suck this was. The capacity for people to keep asking you to move a chair one inch or change the texture on a wall or replace a couch is ENDLESS. ENDLESS. ENDLESS.

I had to stop. I don't offer that kind of level of service, it's sheer insanity. You can't just "furnish a house" and expect people to happily just move in and keep quiet. they will ALWAYS ask if they can change this or that, and be angry they can't return it, to boot (because it's not on share and you can't return group-set prims).

Recently, someone complained about their wall texture and their lack of prims in a $35/wk rental. I said the wall can't be changed without it looking odd, you have to add a baseboard and change all the beams and metal, it has baked-in shadows. Bottom line, I don't want to do it, then undo it for the next person, too much work for your *US 50 cents a month* you are giving me.

The person didn't take the hint, and said they'd be willing to move to another skybox with more prims, but now they wanted furniture removed. Dividers put in. And a zen garden. The skybox was square, they didn't like it. Couldn't another shape be put in? And so on.

I said I don't build Zen gardens for just US 2.50 or $5.00 a month, even. Frankly, even US $20. 

What is the price point at which I would be willing to change wallpaper, build Zen gardens, put in room dividers, add furniture?

Ummm there isn't one.

There are very fashionable high-end communities where designers work with tenants and they pay them a fortune. I had one tenant bring in a landscaper whom she paid US $70 to put up cliffs and trees and whatnot. It was gorgeous. But to me, even $70, even $100 in real money -- it's just not worth the time involved.

So what I would do in your case is buy a house that has built in fireplaces, pools, bathroom, kitchen -- you can find them. And then add the other furniture yourself. It's fun to decorate.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 7:25 AM, Leora Greenwood said:

Check out the parcels for rent in that forum:  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/290-parcels-for-rent-mainland/   Also, many, many estate groups in SL offer furnished rentals and the search can be quite fun.  You can also try the search for rentals inworld in the SL search.  Enjoy!

Actually, I only saw one offering there of a furnished home, and an offer to decorate for you for free in addition.

I bet that landlady is run ragged.

There aren't dozens of such offerings because it is expensive to buy the content, and it's work to put and take it.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:10 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

I have decorated rooms and skyboxes only in my rentals business. That's doable, but somewhat of a fool's errand because many people want to remove or change some or all of the furniture. I charge $25 L to remove or add furniture, but that's not much of a fee so they might keep me very busy putting and taking many times. More than that I couldn't charge, however... They will just move on to one of those holodeck type rentals with changing scenes.

For a house with all the rooms you want, it's a big chore. People will come in and say take all of that out, or take some of that out, or why isn't there an island in the kitchen, or why...

You get the idea.

I just couldn't afford the time or money to put out an offering like that, and few could, which is why you will have a hard time finding it.

When I first started my B&B system, I wanted to see how much time it would consume. So I decided to try experiments -- provide some little cabins furnished where nothing could be changed, only all of it could be removed, on the one hand, and on the other, to allow whoever came along randomly and asked to furnish a skybox differently than the way I had done it, to get to ask for anything, repeatedly.

I was totally astounded at what a time suck this was. The capacity for people to keep asking you to move a chair one inch or change the texture on a wall or replace a couch is ENDLESS. ENDLESS. ENDLESS.

I had to stop. I don't offer that kind of level of service, it's sheer insanity. You can't just "furnish a house" and expect people to happily just move in and keep quiet. they will ALWAYS ask if they can change this or that, and be angry they can't return it, to boot (because it's not on share and you can't return group-set prims).

Recently, someone complained about their wall texture and their lack of prims in a $35/wk rental. I said the wall can't be changed without it looking odd, you have to add a baseboard and change all the beams and metal, it has baked-in shadows. Bottom line, I don't want to do it, then undo it for the next person, too much work for your *US 50 cents a month* you are giving me.

The person didn't take the hint, and said they'd be willing to move to another skybox with more prims, but now they wanted furniture removed. Dividers put in. And a zen garden. The skybox was square, they didn't like it. Couldn't another shape be put in? And so on.

I said I don't build Zen gardens for just US 2.50 or $5.00 a month, even. Frankly, even US $20. 

What is the price point at which I would be willing to change wallpaper, build Zen gardens, put in room dividers, add furniture?

Ummm there isn't one.

There are very fashionable high-end communities where designers work with tenants and they pay them a fortune. I had one tenant bring in a landscaper whom she paid US $70 to put up cliffs and trees and whatnot. It was gorgeous. But to me, even $70, even $100 in real money -- it's just not worth the time involved.

So what I would do in your case is buy a house that has built in fireplaces, pools, bathroom, kitchen -- you can find them. And then add the other furniture yourself. It's fun to decorate.

Thanks for sharing your experience and insights. I admit, shamefully, this has reminded me why I gave up running my smaller scale rentals business. It particularly resonated that folk seem to have no concept of real life $ per day/week/month and how little reward it is for all these desired bespoke changes. Then inevitably they end the rental the following week.

I have the utmost respect for those with the scale or patience to offer rentals for the many who do not want premium.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.