Single Sign On, coming soon (or now) to a Second Life web page near you!

We have been taking steps to implement a Single Sign On process across all of Second Life’s web pages.  I wanted to make sure you were all aware of this so that if you get logged out of a web page and wonder why, this may be the culprit.  In the past, it has been possible to be logged into one page with one account and logged into another page with a different account.  Going forward, you will only need to log in one time to access all web pages with one account at a time.  

If you have any difficulty logging in or making changes to your account, a quick clearing of your browser cookies and/or cache should resolve any issues.  Please contact our fabulous Support team if need additional assistance after taking those steps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

let's see.. but i don't think it's quite usefull for me, i have a seperate inworld presence than on the forum. When the other needs to be on MP or the accountpage .. the forum will also switch to this account.

27 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

let's see.. but i don't think it's quite usefull for me, i have a seperate inworld presence than on the forum. When the other needs to be on MP or the accountpage .. the forum will also switch to this account.

Worst case scenario, you could install a different web browser for different roles. I have done that in the past 🙂

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Hi keira is this going to be any part of a 2fa solution?  or is this just for web services? 

Just for the web services.  2fa is still on our roadmap, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Keira Linden said:

Just for the web services.  2fa is still on our roadmap, though.

I would like to use a usb key to do the single sign on, I know that's asking lots, but something along those lines too,   I've got a few accounts and swapping around will be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually find it handy to be able to be logged into different pages with different accounts, mostly for the scenario mentioned above.  One avatar for the forums, while another is purchasing something on the marketplace.  Maybe a third is using the LH land page.  So it kinda sounds like SSO is going to be a PIA, if it truly will log all other pages out when a different avatar logs into anything on SL's website.

Now, if LL wanted to do SSO for the TYPIST, and have the ability to switch different pages easily between alts, THAT would be useful.  At least to me.  Think of a pulldown at the top of the marketplace to specify the avatar one is purchasing for.  Ah well.

• Like 2

Will SL be an authentication provider, so that an SL login can be safely used as a login on other sites? That would be useful.

(It would also help if the outgoing HTTP proxies used when LSL makes an HTTP connection offered a client-side SSL certificate, so sites could tell that a connection was coming from SL. Then external sites could trust the headers that give the location and username of the SL user that caused the connection.)

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, animats said:

Will SL be an authentication provider, so that an SL login can be safely used as a login on other sites? That would be useful.

That doesn't seem to be the case. They probably just cleaned some things up on the backend to properly unify their own systems.