Protected land

archangel969

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking for land to buy, but severall times I come across land that is 'protected.' Protected roadsides, protected sea sides What doe it mean? Can't I build a house there? Can't make out excactly what the restriction are. Thanks for all the help on my first tentative steps as a landowner 🙂

26 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

I am looking for land to buy, but severall times I come across land that is 'protected.' Protected roadsides, protected sea sides What doe it mean? Can't I build a house there? Can't make out excactly what the restriction are. Thanks for all the help on my first tentative steps as a landowner 🙂

LL typically has 'protected' areas around the edges of things like roads, railroad tracks, etc..  Those areas are never for sale - and you cannot build on them.

You need to look for land that is For Sale -- marked yellow on the map -- or find some Abandoned Land (owned by Governor Linden & named "Abandoned') and submit a Ticket for LL to sell it to you.

Side note:  You must be Premium to buy any Mainland.  Land on Private Regions often use terms like "buy", but since you will pay a weekly or monthly fee, you are really renting.  The 'buy' there just means that you'll get most of the privileges of the true Region owner -- and you don't have to be Premium for that type of 'buy'.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, archangel969 said:

If the land for sale says protected roadside or seaside, that also means if you buy, no one can build on that side.  If a parcel says protected on 2 sides, then no neighbors on those 2 sides.  The parcel I have on mainland is a corner with protected roadways on 2 sides.  Nice if you can find at a reasonable price.

• Like 2

Also realize that sometimes land-sellers may claim that they're parcel is protected, when in actuality it is not.  I've made that mistake myself, listing a place as protected when in fact it was bordered by Abandoned Land.  Abandoned Land might look protected at the moment of sale, but anyone can fill out a ticket to request Linden sell them the land;  Your view of the moon over the calm blue sea could, overnight, turn into a mooning from a giant statue of Bart Simpson.

Since this is your first land purchase, and since you'll need to be a premium member to buy land, and since one of the benefits of premium membership includes a free Linden Home, have you considered getting a Linden Home?

• Like 3

When I'm looking at a parcel that is for sale, I will turn on the "World -> Show -> Property Lines" setting, so that I can see where the parcel boundaries are.  If it's not obvious that a neighboring side parcel is inhabited, I will "right-click -> About Land" on the parcel bordering each side of the parcel for sale, to see which sides have abandoned land, owned land or protected land.   

If a parcel has some type of ground cover over the base land, sometimes you need to cam down through the ground covering to find the base land to right-click on. If I'm looking for land, I generally am looking for a piece of bare land to put my own house and landscaping on, so sometimes I get a bit irritated with those who "fancy" up the parcel with landscaping and a house, particularly when it obscures the actual land and makes it hard to see if it's actually flat, sloped, or has rolling ridges, etc. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, archangel969 said:

"Protected land, protected water" is a sales argument. It is positive to live near land owned by LL, because you do not risk that somebody buys it and builds a 64 m high wall right on the border. So you don't buy protected land, but land adjacent to protected land/water.

Land next to Linden owned land tend to be more expensive. Since it is so, some ppl advertise land as such, even if it is not sharing a border with protected land/water. Make sure the land really does it before you buy.

Protected land is in most cases a Linden road. You can drive from your yard, and out.

Protected water means you can perhaps launch a boat inside your land and go boating. Some sell land that may have a bit of water, but it is so narrow that you can't really sail out from it because other people has filled it up. It is not legal to extend stuff in protected water, but people do it all the time. LL may remove it if they get a ticket. I say "may" because it is sometimes stories about things that has blocked waterways for years.

Edited by Marianne Little
typo
  • Like 2

Thank you all for your valuable answers! Now I understand the concept of 'protected' better! I don't think the land I saw is near land belonging to the Lindens, considering the rather... um... 'diverse' buildings in the neighbourhood on both sides. You sometimes have no idea what people come up with to put down. But then again, tastes differ. Anyway, the land does border on a road and even has a sort of driveway to that road. So that is probably correct in terms of 'protected road'. On one side there is a clear view and further on an ocean. But well, you never know what will be built in the future :-).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Also realize that sometimes land-sellers may claim that they're parcel is protected, when in actuality it is not.  I've made that mistake myself, listing a place as protected when in fact it was bordered by Abandoned Land.  Abandoned Land might look protected at the moment of sale, but anyone can fill out a ticket to request Linden sell them the land;  Your view of the moon over the calm blue sea could, overnight, turn into a mooning from a giant statue of Bart Simpson.

Since this is your first land purchase, and since you'll need to be a premium member to buy land, and since one of the benefits of premium membership includes a free Linden Home, have you considered getting a Linden Home?

Oh yes I am realizing that! I was renting land and I have experienced some horizon pollution on one side of the garden where I used to have an unobstructed view. Anyway, everything is temporary, so that is gone now too.

And yes, I was considering getting a Linden home, but my main goal is to have a mid European style house and a parklike environment around it, and most Linden homes I see aren't in that style at all. I know they are free when I am premium, and for a Dutchman it is maybe weird to not go after free LOL. But I have a dream, and would like to realize that one. If that fails (which I don't think, but if), I willl maybe turn to a Linden home instead, and yes, I also know the better homes of that kind are also gone quickly, but first my dream :-).

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Thank you all for your valuable answers! Now I understand the concept of 'protected' better! I don't think the land I saw is near land belonging to the Lindens, considering the rather... um... 'diverse' buildings in the neighbourhood on both sides. You sometimes have no idea what people come up with to put down. But then again, tastes differ. Anyway, the land does border on a road and even has a sort of driveway to that road. So that is probably correct in terms of 'protected road'. On one side there is a clear view and further on an ocean. But well, you never know what will be built in the future :-).

You can continue to rent, perhaps? I know the prices vary a lot. I was lucky and got a tip about a very cheap place.

You have to pay VAT in addition to tier and for Premium, unless you buy a year of Premium.

I have seen the building you want, you will need a lot of land since it is over 500 Li itself. And with many rooms. I would say a minimum of 300 Li for furniture. Minimum. A park will run off with maybe 100 Li or more. Walls, hedges and plants vary so, so much in Li. If you want mostly green grass and a few trees, you need less Li.

So you need 4096 m, I assume. And first you must pay for Premium. 1024 of those m are then free. But in reality, you must pay tier for all the 4095 m, since it is no option between 2048 and 4096. It is why I am renting Mainland now. Buying Lindens is still free from VAT.

Edited by Marianne Little
added 2 words
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

You can continue to rent, perhaps? I know the prices vary a lot. I was lucky and got a tip about a very cheap place.

You have to pay VAT in addition to tier and for Premium, unless you buy a year of Premium.

I have seen the building you want, you will need a lot of land since it is over 500 Li itself. And with many rooms. I would say a minimum of 300 Li for it. A park will run off with maybe 100 Li or more. Walls, hedges and plants vary so, so much in Li. If you want mostly green grass and a few trees, you need less Li.

So you need 4096 m, I assume. And first you must pay for Premium. 1024 of those m are then free. But in reality, you must pay tier for all the 4095 m, since it is no option between 2048 and 4096. It is why I am renting Mainland now. Buying Lindens is still free from VAT.

I am premium since yesterday 🙂 Yes, I know, the land impact of the furnished house is 1280 prims. So I found out while I was looking for land that most parcels have to little capacity.

The land I saw was 8648 m2. The parcel land capacity is 2351. Oh, that is strange! I was there yesterday and then it was for sale. Now it says: not for sale. It is abanded land, owned by Linden. Hmmm. Oh and the date they have changed the info is indeed 2-2-2021. The driveway to the main road that was there yesterday is also gone. That goes quickly. Maybe they took action after my visit.

Edited by archangel969

43 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

I am premium since yesterday 🙂 Yes, I know, the land impact of the furnished house is 1280 prims. So I found out while I was looking for land that most parcels have to little capacity.

The land I saw was 8648 m2. The parcel land capacity is 2351. Oh, that is strange! I was there yesterday and then it was for sale. Now it says: not for sale. It is abanded land, owned by Linden. Hmmm. Oh and the date they have changed the info is indeed 2-2-2021. The driveway to the main road that was there yesterday is also gone. That goes quickly. Maybe they took action after my visit.

Well, just made a ticket wit a request to buy the abandoned land, let's see if this brings something. In the meanwhile I will look further of course.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, archangel969 said:

And yes, I was considering getting a Linden home, but my main goal is to have a mid European style house and a parklike environment around it, and most Linden homes I see aren't in that style at all.

That's actually their next planned style.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, archangel969 said:

Oh, that is strange! I was there yesterday and then it was for sale. Now it says: not for sale. It is abanded land, owned by Linden.

it's not that strange. Sometimes people keep it for sale as long their tier billing period is running. As soon it's not sold when the new round starts in a few days, it can be cheaper to abandon than again have to pay the extra month of tier and wait for a sale.

• Like 1

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

it's not that strange. Sometimes people keep it for sale as long their tier billing period is running. As soon it's not sold when the new round starts in a few days, it can be cheaper to abandon than again have to pay the extra month of tier and wait for a sale.

Oh yes, I know that.' Strange' was just a yell of surprise (or disapointment) from my side because yesterday evening is was still on sale. I know that things can change in a minute ;-).

4 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Oh yes, I know that.' Strange' was just a yell of surprise (or disapointment) from my side because yesterday evening is was still on sale. I know that things can change in a minute ;-).

It can be to your benefit. Buying abandoned land from LL is cheaper. They usually set it to 1 L per 1 m, I think you will pay 8648 L or something like that. If you can buy it from LL. Maybe the price has changed now?

I got a surprise once, when instead of selling land to me, LL put it up for auction. It sold for much more than 10 L per m, because it was next to water. If it is set to auction, it is purple on the map.

Check back on the land the next days. I can't remember if LL gives a reply or only set it to sale in your name.

The driveway was probably not made by LL. It is common practice that the owner makes an anchor prim on the parcel and extend his driveway to the road.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, archangel969 said:

Well, just made a ticket wit a request to buy the abandoned land, let's see if this brings something. In the meanwhile I will look further of course.

You will probably have to wait a week on this as the person that abandons land usually gets a grace period in case they want to ask for it back, but LL will usually respond to your ticket and tell you if that is the case.

As for whether the land will be set for you to buy or be auctioned is uncertain. As Marianne experienced, a prime location does usually end up getting auctioned, but I have seen just this week a mixture of personal grants and auctions on the region my own parcel is situated.

5 hours ago, archangel969 said:

considering the rather... um... 'diverse' buildings in the neighbourhood on both sides. You sometimes have no idea what people come up with to put down. But then again, tastes differ.

Mainland architecture, except the Linden homes, is always pure anarchy. If you get a parcel there, you better be prepared for the worst. :)

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It can be to your benefit. Buying abandoned land from LL is cheaper. They usually set it to 1 L per 1 m, I think you will pay 8648 L or something like that. If you can buy it from LL. Maybe the price has changed now?

The price is still 1LD for one square meter.
LindenLabs also resizes/merges/divides abandoned parcels too meet the customers needs.

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Check back on the land the next days. I can't remember if LL gives a reply or only set it to sale in your name.

I got notified by a ticket response that the parcel was set for me to be purchased.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now found a parcel of 8192m2. The parcel land capacity is 2812, that would be enough for the furnished villa Utrecht (1280 prims) and a park I would like to build around the house. Not many ugly objects in the neighbourhood, can't believe my eyes. For 1 LD per meter. What could be wrong with it? 🙂

Snapshot_20776_023.png

• Like 1

Hi Arch,

I think there's nothing wrong with buying that piece, or any other piece of mainland (mainland is awesome!). My suggestion: become friendly with your neighbors 🙂 I suppose the only thing I'd add is that protected land sides (1x, 2x, 3x etc.) simply means only the Lindens could build there, and they mostly likely will never will (but see TOS, because that's not guaranteed, either). But... the real point here should be and to answer your question: keep in mind, that at any time, people can buy/build on the land around you (because it's not protected) and you may not like what that looks like. So this is why protected land is so rare, coveted and, well, very, very... VERY expensive. But, to my first point, if you just make friends with your neighbors, they are unlikely to put up ugly prim walls 🙂 I think you may find that people in SL want their parcels to look good too, so, build good relationships and you'll be in good shape 🙂 Good luck!!!

Edited by Alexis Crisp
  • Like 2

I would buy it. It is so cheap that you can sell it if someone build ugly builds next to you. If you cut it up in 1024's and sell them for 1 L/m, you will find buyers. May even set the last ones to 0.5 L/m. People buy cheap parcels for skyboxes. So your risk of loss is small.

Have you forgotten the house by the road? Driveway up to your villa... through the park... Does it not sound good? 😇

Of course you can copy the driveway without a road, but it isn't the same...?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alexis Crisp said:

Hi Arch,

I think there's nothing wrong with buying that piece, or any other piece of mainland (mainland is awesome!). My suggestion: become friendly with your neighbors 🙂 I suppose the only thing I'd add is that protected land sides (1x, 2x, 3x etc.) simply means only the Lindens could build there, and they mostly likely will never will (but see TOS, because that's not guaranteed, either). But... the real point here should be and to answer your question: keep in mind, that at any time, people can buy/build on the land around you (because it's not protected) and you may not like what that looks like. So this is why protected land is so rare, coveted and, well, very, very... VERY expensive. But, to my first point, if you just make friends with your neighbors, they are unlikely to put up ugly prim walls 🙂 I think you may find that people in SL want their parcels to look good too, so, build good relationships and you'll be in good shape 🙂 Good luck!!!

I bought it! Can't say I am not excited. First time to buy land in SL, so this is all new to me. And oh yes, I certainly will contact the neighbours. I allway say I am bit of a hermit, but that doesn't mean I don't make contact (as you see on the forum 🙂 ) , it only means that (when I don't have an interview project as I am having now)  I shall most of the time be at home and not so much travelling. I can only hope that there is nothing ugly being build around me. But In the Netherlands we say 'Hoop doet leven' (hope gives life).

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I would buy it. It is so cheap that you can sell it if someone build ugly builds next to you. If you cut it up in 1024's and sell them for 1 L/m, you will find buyers. May even set the last ones to 0.5 L/m. People buy cheap parcels for skyboxes. So your risk of loss is small.

Have you forgotten the house by the road? Driveway up to your villa... through the park... Does it not sound good? 😇

Of course you can copy the driveway without a road, but it isn't the same...?

That sounds very good! I am very happy with it. So now I can make plans AND also implement them  :-).

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 3:25 AM, archangel969 said:

You should fly around and find abandoned land like that on a sim that has the real protected -- a Linden road or water -- and possibly some long term abandoned. Look at the dates of all the abandoned land. If it is awhile ago, it is likely not desirable and likely not going to be taken. Of course it's a risk, but then you just bail out of it if the horizon goes bad, as you indicated. Land price is so variable, and there is so much abandoned land, that you should buy abandoned as a "fixer upper". You get it by filing a ticket with the SLURL with Support. After about 3-5 days they will set it to sale for you.

Tier is the more important factor, that's your recurring monthly cost, unless you stick to just the 1024 that comes included in the premium. You can see the schedule of tier or land fees on the web site.

On 2/3/2021 at 2:46 AM, archangel969 said:

I bought it! Can't say I am not excited. First time to buy land in SL, so this is all new to me. And oh yes, I certainly will contact the neighbours. I allway say I am bit of a hermit, but that doesn't mean I don't make contact (as you see on the forum 🙂 ) , it only means that (when I don't have an interview project as I am having now)  I shall most of the time be at home and not so much travelling. I can only hope that there is nothing ugly being build around me. But In the Netherlands we say 'Hoop doet leven' (hope gives life).

PS if something ugly does sprout up, keep in mind: most things in SL change within 30 days.

You can try asking a neighbour to change something, ask them to put a giant Nomad man in the sky instead of water, etc. etc. But they may get their back up.

On the other hand, they may abandon and leave or change their build next week.

I give every situation 30 days before I declare war (I have to, because I have contiguous communities with tenants on them -- I can't dump that land.) OR bail. There's always another sim around the corner.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.