Superbowl!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If the Bears ever go back to the super bowl, I'll watch that one..  There is just no interest in any other team for me.. Not even the Titans.. hehehe

College football is more exciting to watch I think than Pro...

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh, cool, you have a genuine reason for watching and supporting B|

Hmm...tempted to switch teams now o.O

I just looked at where the game is going to be played..

It's going to be in Tampa..  That has to be some sort of advantage for them, not having to travel and being right at home.. Sleeping in their own bed the night before and all that stuff.. hehehe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PixieGirrrrl said:

The half time show is also usually entertaining for either the right (Gaga) or wrong (Coldplay) reasons, lol.

There's always hope for a "wardrobe malfunction" (Janet Jackson with Justin Timberlake, I think it was)..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's always hope for a "wardrobe malfunction" (Janet Jackson with Justin Timberlake, I think it was)..

It would have been better if they didn't plan it..

I think that's why they got in trouble.. hehehe

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think The Weekend is the performer, I don't think anyone wants to see that kind of wardrobe malfunction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm American, but not a football fan. The one game I watched was the Superbowl and like many, I used to say "I only watch it for the commercials". In truth, advertisers create some of the best commercials ever for the Superbowl. But I found that I have a problem...

I've got a mental filter that tunes out television commercials. I think maybe a lot of us have developed this faculty, in self-defense. We watch, but ten minutes later we couldn't tell you what commercials we'd just seen!

So, after the game, someone would ask me, "What was your favorite commercial?" And...I couldn't remember any of them! A few days later, I'd be on YouTube and see a "Best Commercials of the Superbowl".  I'd watch it, going, "Oh yeah, now I remember that!"

So nowadays I skip the game and go straight to the YouTube replay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

American Football got popular in the UK back when I was around 16, and it was popular for a few years. I used to watch it now and again but found it a bit boring; lots of standing around talking and not as much actual playing. And over here, we can really tell that 90% of these breaks when we see players and coaches standing round doing nothing, they're actually just waiting for the commercial breaks on US television. The Superbowl is still on every year but it's nowhere near its popularity of 30 years ago.

I won't be watching. Kick-off time is 11.30pm here, it goes on for hours, and I have no interest in either team so I don't even care who wins. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I found a picture of the Chiefs mascot! It looks like an SL club 10 years ago, lol ❤️

article-2514054-19A9B7A200000578-58_634x639.jpg.679508ae9740f3c3e29dd56917b72a55.jpg

The Chiefs original mascot was a Pinto Horse named 'Warpaint' and was originally ridden around the stadium by someone in full Native American headdress.  They circled the field before the game and after each touchdown.  They switched to an unnamed Indian man for a few years in the 1980s, but then in 1989 switched to the above K.C. Wolf as the mascot.  The "wolf" came from a group of fans that were known as the "Wolfpack".   (trivia - The K.C. Wolf was the first team Mascot to be inducted into the NFL Mascot Hall of Fame).

I grew up in Kansas City - lived there until 1990, when I moved to Colorado.  I still have family there and while I won't be paying attention to the Super Bowl game, they will all be glued to the TV.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The Chiefs original mascot was a Pinto Horse named 'Warpaint' and was originally ridden around the stadium by someone in full Native American headdress.  They circled the field before the game and after each touchdown.  They switched to an unnamed Indian man for a few years in the 1980s, but then in 1989 switched to the above K.C. Wolf as the mascot.  The "wolf" came from a group of fans that were known as the "Wolfpack".   (trivia - The K.C. Wolf was the first team Mascot to be inducted into the NFL Mascot Hall of Fame).

I grew up in Kansas City - lived there until 1990, when I moved to Colorado.  I still have family there and while I won't be paying attention to the Super Bowl game, they will all be glued to the TV.

Thanks! Must have been cool seeing a horse trotting around the stadium :) The Wolfpack is a great name too! Glad I picked this team xD

I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into though...Karly says it lasts for hours and Lindal said her favourite part is the adverts! :o 

This is the rubbish we have, lol. There's also a UK mascot called Cyril The Swan who has been arrested for fighting and bad behaviour!

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

Less than 48 hours!! SUPERBOWL IS COMING! :) I am going to buy some fire cracker wings on Sunday..but will have them long before kick-off! 

I hope Kansas City Wolfie is better behaved than UK Wolfie :o

• Like 1

It's time to make predictions on the Super Bowl!!!! 🏈

1. Score at halftime? Who wins? Final Score?

My prediction is Buccaneers 13 Chiefs 15 at halftime. Chiefs win with a final score of Buccaneers 35 Chiefs 37.

2. Will the halftime show be controversial? Will it be considered a successful show?

My prediction is The Weeknd will make a controversial statement but will have a successful show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

My prediction is Buccaneers 13 Chiefs 15 at halftime. Chiefs win with a final score of Buccaneers 35 Chiefs 37.

2. Will the halftime show be controversial? Will it be considered a successful show?

My prediction is The Weeknd will make a controversial statement but will have a successful show.

I'm just gonna shoot from the hip because I honestly have no idea about either team or even watch professional football, unless it's the Bears playing..

I'll pick Tampa in Tampa blowing out the chiefs by the third quarter.. 38 to 10 for the final score.. hehehe

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 10:33 PM, Rat Luv said:

Less than 48 hours!! SUPERBOWL IS COMING! :) I am going to buy some fire cracker wings on Sunday..but will have them long before kick-off! 

I hope Kansas City Wolfie is better behaved than UK Wolfie :o

Is puppy bowl!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 2:54 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

As far as any of them in either sport being wimps.. I doubt that very much..

That sounds more like sports fat talk than anything.. hehehehe

yes. agree

international rugby union forward pack average weight today is approx. 112kg, average height 1.89metres

NFL offensive unit (top 10 teams) average weight 121kg this year. Average height 1.93metres

NFL players are also on average faster over the explosive short distances 10 and 20 meters

so professional NFL offensive unit players on average are bigger and explosively faster than professional international rugby union forward players

is still some way to catch up physically, but is starting to become a major concern for rugby, the injury damage (particularly head trauma injuries) as professional rugby players get bigger and faster.  Professional rugby, both union and league, is going to have to more fully pad up soon same as NFL, probably compulsory safety head gear to begin with

also too, every professional rugby union and rugby league player is already wearing an impact absorbent undershirt. Nobody today can run out onto a rugby field without this, and sustain getting repeatedly smashed over by people weighing over 100kgs

ps add. I don't have any prediction for the Superbowl. My team is the Green Bay Packers so I don't mind who wins

Edited by Mollymews
typs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had fun when I lived in the US showing all my football-following buddies rugby games. They got the "basics" of the game as soon as I told them "Rule one: No blocking. You can only impede or tackle the guy with the ball in his hands. Rule two: Kicking or rushing only, no forward passes, only laterals. Rule three: Unless the ref whistles, do not stop." That was enough for them to start "getting it" when they watched, I could explain to them the difference between a ruck and a maul and the interesting differences between league and union later once they were into it enough to ask :)

One thing about football we all agreed on though, we much preferred watching the college game to the NFL. It's more dynamic and showcases the tactical skills of the players better.

Regarding the padding or lack thereof in rugby,  I find it difficult to imagine how a level of protection that comes even close to that worn for football could be introduced without changing the game out of all recognition. But maybe if it had been done I wouldnt be missing so many teeth and wouldnt have the permanent rivets in my left arm that tell me whenever the weather is about to change.... (all the above injuries picked up in the equivalent of the high school and college game, I never played even semi-professionally)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

maybe if it had been done I wouldnt be missing so many teeth

is compulsory now in New Zealand to wear a mouth guard at all levels of the game in matches sanctioned by the NZRFU. The referee will send players off the field if they are not wearing one

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Chiefs score 48-0 in the first hour and they agree to end the match there so UK viewers can go to bed :)

The Weeknd's show might have a BLM theme, but I think there may be some reference to Covid and the number 400k, maybe as lights going out across a map of the USA. 

Shock of the night will be the IMVU 'vs SL' advert! :o

Edited by Rat Luv
Did two posts in one
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

is compulsory now in New Zealand to wear a mouth guard at all levels of the game in matches sanctioned by the NZRFU. The referee will send players off the field if they are not wearing one

I was wearing one, every time. It is possible to be hit hard enough you lose the mouthguard though, and when some arsehole of an opposing fullback then steps on your face in the ruck, his cleats break teeth.

The funny thing about the Superbowl compared to say a college bowl that I notice anyways is.. In a college bowl it's more about the game and the two teams.. The game and the teams and who they are playing for and the players are the main thing going on..

The Superbowl seems more like the game is the side attraction and what can the game be used for.. There is so much more going on around it that it has become such a circus that the actual event gets swallowed up..

I'll sit down and watch SEC with my husband, Especially if Bama is playing.. I'm a Bama fan even though I'll root for the Vols if Bama gets knocked out.. But at work I think the Bama fans outweigh the Vol fans..hehehe

I even like watching High school football.. College and high school is just more closer to home where pro just feels like they are playing off in the distance somewhere far far away from where it counts.. hehehe

Unless The Bears are playing!!\o/ hehehe

• Like 1

It's happening! B|

BBC presenter is annoying, lol...let me know if there are any free US streams...coin toss coming up...

ETA: Oh people are actually in the stadium, all in masks. All UK sport this weekend has been empty stadiums playing crowd noise. The stadium's packed! 

ETA: Oh it ends after 3am! :o

ETA: Don't have a scooby doo what's going on lol. They keep stopping?

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.