Maitreya Skin stuck?

1Arden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have no idea what's going on here, but my skin and alpha suddenly seem to have locked into place. I can't change my skin tone, not with anything, not to a default. I also can't get the rest of my body back, and changing alphas on the hud doesn't turn anything on or off. Going to old outfits gives me the same thing. Taking the body on and off gives me the same thing. Log off, log in, teleport, etc. 

Snapshot_26_001.png

34 minutes ago, 1Arden said:

I have no idea what's going on here, but my skin and alpha suddenly seem to have locked into place. I can't change my skin tone, not with anything, not to a default. I also can't get the rest of my body back, and changing alphas on the hud doesn't turn anything on or off. Going to old outfits gives me the same thing. Taking the body on and off gives me the same thing. Log off, log in, teleport, etc. 

Snapshot_26_001.png

Have you tried taking the body off, deleting it, unpacking a new copy and trying again?

4 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Have you tried taking the body off, deleting it, unpacking a new copy and trying again?

I hadn't yet, but I'd rather that be the last option, since it would break the links of every saved outfit and character I have.

31 minutes ago, 1Arden said:

I hadn't yet, but I'd rather that be the last option, since it would break the links of every saved outfit and character I have.

Have you tried going to another region?  Try logging into Tromp.  I'd have issues like that on my mainland at times.

1 hour ago, 1Arden said:

If this should end up being the only option, it is easy to replace the outfit links.  If you right click on the old version of the body item in inventory, there should be a 'replace links' option which will bring up a dialog box where you can specify the new version of the body and then you can click to have the system replace all linked instances of the old version with the new version.

• Thanks 1

If the HUD is not responding at all, it's possible the HUD is not actually attached but ghosted. Double check can you change polish color? or heel height? If the HUD doesn't respond to anything then detach and reattach the HUD. If after reattaching the HUD, it still doesn't work then you may have accidentally deleted the scripts from the body. In which case, replacing the body with a new one will probably be your only option.

10 hours ago, 1Arden said:

Do NOT delete this body you think broken. Find the original and make a copy to wear or get a re-delivery and wear a different copy of the body. If your 'broken' body is actually broken you can use the inventory feature Replace Links (right-click on the broken item in inventory - you can find it by right-clicking on a link and selecting Find Original) to change all the links in all your outfits from the broken copy to the new copy. Firestorm has a wiki page on how to use the feature that works for all viewers.

You haven't give us enough detail to know for sure what is wrong. So we are guessing. But, trying a different copy of the HUD and body is a good first step in trouble shooting.

A quick easy step in any problem scenario is to move to a test region, preferably an empty deserted one - like Furball, and relog. See if that gets things working. If things are still not working you can try restarting the scripts. This is risky for some items as a restart will permanently kill the script. Since it is hard to know which can be safely restarted and which will die you need a backup of the original item before trying it. If a restart fails, replace the item.

There is a region and/or viewer crash scenario where scripts are set to Not Running. If that happens and the item is No-Mod, it is dead because you can't reset or reset it to Running. It has to be replaced.

So, there are a number of things that can go wrong. With a simple set of troubleshooting steps you can often find the problem and decide how to fix it.

There are also user problems. These are embarrassing Doh! type problems we all make sooner or later and repeat from time to time. These are best found, IMO, by stripping down to the classic avatar and wearing nothing then building the outfit back one item at a time.

Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If things are still not working you can try restarting the scripts. This is risky for some items as a restart will permanently kill the script. Since it is hard to know which can be safely restarted and which will die you need a backup of the original item before trying it. If a restart fails, replace the item.

If it's a script issue and NOT because you have deleted scripts, there is a button on the HUD to reset scripts for the body.

0fa81eeee30ba509d686d0ce9c0a268e.png

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Blush BravinJust remember there is a difference between a Restart and a Reset.

Not for scripts there isn't.

Edit:

6 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I would think most would understand from reading my earlier post what was meant by my saying 'Restart'.

You're right, I didn't read your previous post in full so I missed the context. My bad.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

My wording could have been better for aristarchs but there is a difference. I would think most would understand from reading my earlier post what was meant by my saying 'Restart'.

image.png.ea90f9b946e4a4c527b02716a14608f2.png

If something is not running you restart it. Since some crash scenarios in SL will set scripts to Not Running, basically RUN Disabled, they have to be restarted. A not running script doesn't start running with a reset. One must set it to Running. So a script reset will not solve the problem, which was my point.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

If this should end up being the only option, it is easy to replace the outfit links.  If you right click on the old version of the body item in inventory, there should be a 'replace links' option which will bring up a dialog box where you can specify the new version of the body and then you can click to have the system replace all linked instances of the old version with the new version.

May wind up doing this, it definitely seems like it's only an issue with that set of body/hands/feet, like it just went dead. 

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

My wording could have been better for aristarchs but there is a difference. I would think most would understand from reading my earlier post what was meant by my saying 'Restart'.

image.png.ea90f9b946e4a4c527b02716a14608f2.png

If something is not running you restart it. Since some crash scenarios in SL will set scripts to Not Running, basically RUN Disabled, they have to be restarted. A not running script doesn't start running with a reset. One must set it to Running. So a script reset will not solve the problem, which was my point.

I really am clueless about scripting. I mostly posted that because that reset button is a relatively new addition to the HUD so some don't know it's there. 

50 minutes ago, 1Arden said:

May wind up doing this, it definitely seems like it's only an issue with that set of body/hands/feet, like it just went dead. 

Try a new copy of the hud before you try a new copy of the body. If it still doesn't work, then try a new copy of the body as well.

50 minutes ago, Karly Kiyori said:

Try a new copy of the hud before you try a new copy of the body. If it still doesn't work, then try a new copy of the body as well.

If the HUD will open ands close and change tabs, the problem is not the HUD.

Odds are the body has no scripts in it, but can't say for sure without checking it.

And Link Replace will make replacement easy, especially if the settings were backed up on a Save Stick.

Edited by Gryphon Ronas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.