Second life Mobile 2021?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried speed light. Didn't work very well, for me. &, It only works for SL. Lumiya could do other places, like kitely, & osgrid. & Ya didn't have to wade thru sign this sign that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 11:50 PM, kinulpture said:

Tried speed light. Didn't work very well, for me. &, It only works for SL. Lumiya could do other places, like kitely, & osgrid. & Ya didn't have to wade thru sign this sign that.

Unfortunately, other grids' creators are not that friendly as Linden Lab.

SpeedLight is mobile+web viewer, so we have to maintain an ability to login from web as well. There are several restrictions in modern browsers: basically, the owner of the web service has to allow browsers to interact with it.

LL tech support greatly helped us and upgraded their login servers. Other grids are smaller, and it would be harder for them to make such infrastructure changes.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2021 at 8:48 PM, Glaznah Gassner said:

SpeedLight IMs, chats and groups usually work like a charm:

Are there any plans to add voice chat? I have no idea if its even likely or possible but that would be amazing to have

9 hours ago, Bane Bracken said:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't since you don't have to use it, but alright.

Voice has take away from the SL experience of communication and social ability for quite a few of us,  alienating a whole user base of people that have issues with hearing, speaking and other norms that hurt our ability to communicate.    Text chat is the only way that is needed to communicate in SL.   

I understand what you’re saying but with respect, I completely disagree. You shouldn’t remove voice entirely just because not everyone can take advantage of that feature. There are places in SL that used to be full of people that are empty now for the sole reason that voice has been turned off there.

Also I strongly suggest you also take into account that there are a lot of people are physically unable to type and for whom voice is the only way that they can actually communicate in SL

With that being said I think we should leave it at that so as not to continue going off-topic.

Edited by Bane Bracken
Additional additional
8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But it's free, right? Like most all viewers seem to be? 👍🏾

Free things are free and good until they are no longer useful, perhaps due to being overloaded,  or no longer free.  They are costing somebody money to operate.  When that someone cannot continue funding it themselves, they shut it down or attempt to charge.

Nothing about Second Life is free.  It is all paid for my someone.  You may not pay for the parts you use but Linden Lab does, and it gets money from other residents that covers the costs of the parts that can be used without direct payment from the user.  Likewise, any remote rendering client we have had available in the past has shut down because the money from paying users was insufficient to support the service, whether it had a non-paying tier or not.

I "did the math" when considering either trying a remote client or purchasing parts to assemble a computer that would comfortably render Second Life locally.  It was way less expensive for me to build the computer and pay for the energy it would consume, based on the number of hours I am on line daily.  Using this data I formed the assumption that the remote rendering client would either cease to be free, impose strict usage limitations, or both.  It did, for a while, then it was shut down due to insufficient cash flow from paying users.

Since then a couple more attempts have been made to offer this service to Second Life Residents.  The one I know of that survives is not specific to Second Life and is far from free.  Speedlight is new, appears to be doing something that is not strictly installing an existing or slightly modified Second Life Viewer on a remote host and accessing it remotely.  I hope Speedlight thrives in this endeavor.  I won't be using it because I built a computer to run Second Life Viewer on, but Good Times to those that do use it!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1