Sim cannot be reached, support cannot be reached, web panel not responding either.

Count Burks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am going to mention -- mostly for the new official people that might possibly be watching this thread -- that what they see here on the forums is just a VERY TINY bit of what is going on in personal IMs inworld (which I guess they have the ability to check and see should they want to) ---.   

So the bottom line really is that folks HAVE BEEN NOTICING and TALKING much more than they see here. 

It would likely be a good idea to keep the infrastructure working even if no more improvements are made.   

:SwingingFriends:

2 hours ago, Dottie Linden said:

Hi all! I wanted to pop in and hopefully help to clear up a few things! While the regular support staff you are used to communicating with in Live Chat are available only during support hours, we do have processes in place to ensure that the majority of "after hours" offline regions get taken care of. Sometimes; however, they do require more specialized intervention which can delay bringing them back online for longer than we're used to. This has been support's process for quite some time now, long preceding uplift.

- Dottie Linden

You speak about processes,  these processes can be many things such as having a script that pings regions to see if they are up, and if not your system automatically will reboot a sim during offline hours. Then you indeed have processes but no actual staff looking into the situation.

I do think that it is mandatory that you always have an actual person who is able to look into offline region tickets at all times of the day seven days per week. This person should be able to bring back the sim online in 90% of the cases and have the needed knowledge to do so. If that person is unable to fulfill this task the staff member should reply to the ticket and explain the situation is more severe and he will need to wait until staff returns to the office the next day.

You do not provide clarity by stating that you have "processes" that will handle the "majority" of after hours offline sims. Either you do have staff on watch or you no longer have staff.

For example when a region requires a Rollback it can form an issue to wait 20 hours on such a Rollback because there is no staff but only "processes".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aishagain said:

Am I alone in finding none of this in the least bit reassuring?

what do you think they can magically do?  they just MOVED a whole data centers worth of servers and backend to a new system, it has learning curves, it has differences that HAVE to be done while the system is live,   you can rest assured things will get straighten out,  but it's not going to be snap of the fingers and over night it's fixed,  give this team time to work with what they have and to work through the issues, this is not a fly by night operation and they need the time to work on it.   

• Like 2

@bigmoe Whitfield I think I will leave others far more seasoned in the ways both of software and hardware engineers and asset strippers (sorry, equity acquisition managers) to point out to you just why you are so mistaken.

Edited by Aishagain
additional sarcasm

47 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

@bigmoe Whitfield I think I will leave others far more seasoned in the ways both of software and hardware engineers and asset strippers (sorry, equity acquisition managers) to point out to you just why you are so mistaken.

I've been in webhosting since 1998, and I just moved my whole backend to aws,  I'm still fighting issues with it myself,  so, I thank you for pointing out I do not know anything.   Lovely. 

@bigmoe WhitfieldPlease do not believe that I was belittling your considerable experience, I would not be so crass.

I merely meant that there are others, more versed than I in the ways of asset- strippers AND software engineers, who could add their comments to this topic.

I do not, for one moment, deny the considerable achievement of LL's engineers in uplifting SL to the cloud.  I am more concerned about the ongoing situation and the intentions of Linden Research's new owners.

Edited by Aishagain

• 2 weeks later...

@Patch Linden

@Ebbe Linden

@Tommy Linden

@Brett Linden

@Derrick Linden

This would be a good topic for any future Town Hall meeting, the hours that support are accessible for urgent stuff.

With SL's user base being all over the world, having 24/7 access to Support would be ideal.

Edited by Adamburp Adamczyk
clarity, and reasoning WHY this post was made.
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.