What's the next big tech advancement for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Read around, you can see in the blog they're working on the transition to cloud based servers, which has been a big task. You can also go to community public meetings to see things discussed, they keep a schedule of those. Then theres the Jira tech management site, where you can see whats being working on, proposed, etcetera, theres lots.

2 minutes ago, animats said:

Soon, we'll be able to trade Lindens for crypto assets in Upland via Tilia.

That is not what I would consider an advancement.  You go have fun though.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

How about bug fixes and performance enhancements?

This right here!  But what do we get instead?  EEP.  Great, thanks, no one I know asked for that. It seems to me the manpower invested in that could have been better spent on pretty much anything to improve performance.  For what I've read, EEP has done the opposite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

This right here!  But what do we get instead?  EEP.  Great, thanks, no one I know asked for that. It seems to me the manpower invested in that could have been better spent on pretty much anything to improve performance.  For what I've read, EEP has done the opposite.

Except that plenty - at least here - have been rather vocal about Linden Lab making improvements to the visual aspect of Second Life.

They harped on it so much that they got their wish .... at the cost of the whole thing being rolled out before it was actually ready for prime time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

tbh, from the experience I have had so far EEP is just another Windlight. This may not be the case for the estate owner but for the typical end user... Works roughly the same, just a few different methods and saving the 'files' but in the end, it really doesn't help nor hurt performance - when everything is turned 'on' that is

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Except that plenty - at least here - have been rather vocal about Linden Lab making improvements to the visual aspect of Second Life.

They harped on it so much that they got their wish .... at the cost of the whole thing being rolled out before it was actually ready for prime time.

Don't worry. There are more visual features coming. LL rolled out the "Mission Accomplished" banner for EEP, BoM & Animesh over a year ago even though those features are all incomplete.

We can't get features to make scripting or scripted content more efficient or to create new scripted content types, but we sure can get some parsley and eye candy to distract from lack of meat and potatoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 7:34 AM, animats said:

Better shaders, developed by users, looks to be the next big thing.

Modding games to improve the visual quality is a big thing. Roblox and GTA V have been improved substantially by users. Of course, you need a serious gamer GPU to get all the nice shiny stuff.

LL is already planning (and possibly slowly starting to work on) PBR + HDR according to the latest meetings. We'll most likely also see Jpeg2000 format going away for something better and Mesh Upload supporting new and better file formats and/or standards, gtf/gltf has been suggested.

Also a lot of rendering fixes for EEP to bring it back on par with Windlight are already in a project viewer and coming soon and there's also supposed to be a big batch of performance improvements coming from Alchemy Viewer to be ported to the Official Viewer.

Generally speaking this year (and possibly the next year) is/are going to be some very interesting year(s).

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:59 AM, Ardy Lay said:

How about bug fixes and performance enhancements?

The JIRA has a built in tracking system. You can see the number of bugs reported per month and the number fixed and pending. They do a pretty good job of keeping up.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:08 PM, RowanMinx said:

Aah! You run in the wrong circle of people. EEP provides a number of things region owners have wanted. I am told the JIRA can be used to keep track of what is important in SL, meaning what is being asked for and what is being complained about. For me it is like looking into a fog bank for those purposes.

At the Linden meetings they have talked about how the triage feature requests and bug fixes. What people ask for is a significant factor. EEP has the potential for a cash benefit for the Lab. I am not sure it is going to work out... but the potential is there.

13 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Inworld bitcoin mines. Animated.

Rumor is they will buy a license for Minecraft and we can mine bitcoin form the SL terrain... 🙄🤫

20 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Rumor is they will buy a license for Minecraft and we can mine bitcoin form the SL terrain... 🙄🤫

Being able to run around with a pickaxe and start mining stuff, i'd enjoy that. Finally something to do other than standing around and watching people be AFK.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.