Should LL create an Easter Egg?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LL should create a hidden prize within Second Life that can only be found by solving puzzles and going to certain places and finding keys. The winner of the Egg gets a million dollars and Ebbe Linden's job. Do you think this would create buzz for Second Life? Would it be a good or bad?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

LL should create a hidden prize within Second Life that can only be found by solving puzzles and going to certain places and finding keys. The winner of the Egg gets a million dollars and Ebbe Linden's job. Do you think this would create buzz for Second Life? Would it be a good or bad?

More likely it would create a young adult novel and which will lead to a movie stuffed full of IP product placement that apparently everyone has forgotten two years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

You ´d have to pay me more than a million dollars for taking Ebbe Linden´s job. Much more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Dang. I thought you were being serious until I read the million dollars and Ebbe's job. Even the stockholders would hate me as CEO because I'd be kicking butt and taking names.

Now if the prize were say a free lifetime premium account with all the perks that go with including the 2048 parcel, the whole grid would get involved. Make it like a quarterly or semiannual treasure hunt. That would create a bit of buzz for SL. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Now if the prize were say a free lifetime premium account with all the perks that go with including the 2048 parcel, the whole grid would get involved. Make it like a quarterly or semiannual treasure hunt. That would create a bit of buzz for SL. 

This, or, well, something like this anyway, although this would be fantastic.

It really wouldn't kil LL to put a bit more effort into marketing and creating a bigger buzz around and within sl. In fact, it would benefit us all if they put a bit more effort into it. I know they have a marketing team, but there really isn't any nicer way of saying whatever marketing team LL has always had (which I suspect has changed hands quite a bit, or at least been altered, so not all can really be held responsible for this) has screwed the pooch on nearly all fronts. 

One thing LL could do, which is pretty common practice, to help create a buzz is to help sl itself be more interactive as far as things like contests, community involvement, etc.. that doesn't revolve around SL b-day "celebrations", charity events, naming or photo contests, the realms(which let's face it certainly aren't in their prime anymore), "limited time" events, and user group meetings that really only appeal to an existing audience and even then, in very limited capacity. These kinds of things aren't nearly as engaging for a lot of people as LL and those who love these things would think.  I'm not denouncing all of those things or in any way saying they are bad, they ALL have their place and ALL can be and are enjoyed by people, but they definitely could be expanded upon with a small amount of effort.

Take a look at the forums and just how frequently we get asked "what else is there to do in sl", "what do you enjoy doing", and things like that. Fun hidden gems, interactive games that result in some kind of "win", for lack of better terminology on my part, that can be measured as useful/entertaining/something worth achieving by more than a very small group (in the grand scheme) of people could be very beneficial for the whole grid. Things that have prizes, again for lack of better terminology on my part, nearly always do better for marketing than most of the things LL does. Offering things that would be useful to a wider group of residents like premium accounts, a name change (like the name contest did), a plot of land (which we know LL has in over abundance, when you look at abandoned land), even $L prizes, would appeal to far more people. 

Marketing schemes like this not only help keep current audiences engaged, but they encourage new audiences too, even if only temporarily. Sometimes just drawing people in for something that might be temporary (like  contest) is enough to keep them engaged with a product long enough to find appeal elsewhere within it too. 

It also wouldn't kill LL to make some of the other little gems around a bit more known and not such hidden secrets (so, not easter eggs, but fun all the same). The linden bears are a great example of that, as most people have no damn clue what they are (or that they even exist), and more people might like to have them. I've found a lot of people that do myself just by mentioning them, or when I had them out on my land, people would as about them lol. It would be cool to see MORE of them, including old ones that we can't seem to find anymore or from old LL employees. Sure they don't appeal to everyone and some folks wouldn't want them cluttering up their inventory or home, but they can be fun to try and search out and this one would be hella easy for LL to expand on and create some buzz around, then make into an amazing little hunt. The forums, even the blog, really aren't the best place for LL to create buzz for anything, we're such a small pond here. It's a good way to test the training wheels out on new marketing schemes, that is, using old methods and making them better. Start small LL, work your way up to bigger and better. 

BUT, this has all been suggested for at least as long as I've been here and LL has yet to listen. I don't hold out a whole lot of hope that they ever will, although that one lil smidgen of hope always remains, I suppose, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

BUT, this has all been suggested for at least as long as I've been here and LL has yet to listen. I don't hold out a whole lot of hope that they ever will, although that one lil smidgen of hope always remains, I suppose, lol.

LL doesn't really like good ideas, they're too much like work. The few good ideas they've ever had, someone else did for them or they bought.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

It sounds like it would be such a long shot for a chance to win.  So, maybe some additional smaller prizes too...and nix the job idea.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

How about $5,000 Easter eggs every month?

That sounds like fun!  But, why not call them Linden Eggs or something else other than Easter because Easter is only for a short time?   Or is this a short term idea at Easter time only?   As far as the premium account I'm not so crazy about that, but I think a small plot of land or a gift certificate would be awesome too!  Gift certificates are a great way to get people into your store as well.  

Edited by FairreLilette

29 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

That sounds like fun!  But, why not call them Linden Eggs or something else other than Easter because Easter is only for a short time? 

When something like a game or DVD/Blu-ray has some kind of hidden bonus surprise content that's known as an Easter egg. i believe the term comes from the real life activity of hunting for Easter eggs

Edited by Claireschen Hesten

34 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

When something like a game or DVD/Blu-ray has some kind of hidden bonus surprise content that's known as an Easter egg. i believe the term comes from the real life activity of hunting for Easter eggs

Oh, I see.  I thought it might come from another game but I wasn't sure.  Thanks.  I still like the wording Linden Eggs though but then people might not "get it".  Hmmmmmmm.  I wouldn't mind putting Linden Eggs in my little booths inworld but then most of us creators usually have group gifts or freebies but I think Linden Eggs rather than group gifts might not be such a bad idea...then people can hunt anywhere and everywhere at any time they like.  

Is there any way creators could have eggs too?  

Edited by FairreLilette

On 1/24/2021 at 11:30 AM, Bree Giffen said:

I have a Linden Easter egg -- two, actually. However, I will keep it a secret for now. Look for it and win a free month's rent.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

That's the spirit! Maybe this will inspire everyone to start hiding prizes all over SL. 

I've thought about it and will consider it but I have to agree with Silent that it won't reach the outside world.  Although if there were Linden Eggs, it would be cool if shop owners and clubs, etc, could buy them for a nominal price not a fortune price.  Maybe certain colors could match for certain prizes.  

Digitally created items have reached the heights of a true art form.  I think SL could be ready to break out again.  Although often I think for a lower in age demographic such as those youngin's 18+ just getting their first apartment and car and everything else, that SL is too over-priced for that demographic of say 18 to 26 or so.   But, I think digitally created art is truly art.  I hope SL can eventually reach a younger demographic.  I love your idea of the eggs, Bree.  SL needs that.

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.