You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

I'm a skeptic about the number of deaths from Covid. I have many friends in the healthcare field (I'm one too) that have told me that the more Covid deaths reported in hospitals, the more government aid money the get for the hospital. A friend of mine who has been a nurse practitioner for over 20 yrs told me that some heart attack and pneumonia deaths and several other conditions have been attributed to Covid, which is a blatant lie. In many hospitals in the USA, deaths are being fudged for the sake of government money.

I'm sure there are people dying from it.. the elderly and chronic pre-existing conditions... just like the flu contributes to mortality in this same group of people. This is similar to the flu with slightly different symptoms and highly treatable. Testing can show positive result. That is what is being reported. Just because a person has tested positive doesn't mean a death sentence. The news loves to hype the number to keep us in fear, under control and compliant with mask regulations.

Why isn't flu treated the same way? Why no masks for flu outbreak? The same amount of mortality ..if not more, but, no crazy social distancing or masks. We are living in fear when we should be standing up and speaking out for our God given rights as human beings. I'm sure this post will piss off many people who are still trusting the Gov and the CDC. But thats ok. I chose to live without fear. Others can live how they chose .. in fear or freedom. Your choice.

Covid is nothing like the flu. The flu never did to me what Covid did.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, eyeye Afterthought said:

Thanks. Do Linden people have birthday parties or something? SL gotta be good for parties. I went to a wedding one time. That was pretty nice. 

Some do. I don't know if they still do because I don't keep up with most of what goes on, on the grid anymore. And of course there's the annual SL birthday bash. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Covid is nothing like the flu. The flu never did to me what Covid did.

I didn't say it was like the flu. Fluish but with different symptoms. The flu kills more people per yr than Covid. Science and fact. That doesn't discount your experience. I'm sure you were very sick. but that has nothing to do with the agenda for and about this .. pandemic. I get my facts from Healthcare professionals, which I am one.. I'm glad you recovered and are feeling well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

This is similar to the flu with slightly different symptoms and highly treatable.

No offence, but I don't think that's true. People of all ages and health are being hospitalised and dying. 

6 minutes ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

The news loves to hype the number to keep us in fear, under control and compliant with mask regulations.

This is what I've never understood...WHY would they do that? Why would the media or government be obsessed with people wearing masks? What do they get out of it?

I have been wearing a mask for 9-10 months when I go out now, it doesn't affect me, or humiliate me, or define me, or make me feel controlled...I don't wear it at home, or even think about it until I go out to buy essentials. It's a precaution, like putting on a seat belt in a car.

I am not having a go at you, I just genuinely don't get all this fear about how it's some plot...is it so hard to accept that there's a dangerous new virus we need to adjust to, and we need to take some responsibility in our actions until we've got it under control? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I must have a guardian Angel.  I am very lucky to report that I have an appointment date for the COVID vaccination.  I am staying in as much as possible and all I want to say is that this vaccination will take place "soon".  I have not been in COMPLETE isolation when I was exposed to someone with coronavirus a few weeks ago to which I am still testing negative.   However, about all I do is get out in the hallways and walk around so my legs don't go numb from sitting too long; however, it's difficult to exercise as it's hard to breathe through a mask.   Vaccination soon for me and some freedom I hope.  Counting down the days...but soon.  I plan on getting Chinese food take-out as soon as I can after vaccination.     

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

I didn't say it was like the flu. Fluish but with different symptoms. The flu kills more people per yr than Covid. Science and fact. That doesn't discount your experience. I'm sure you were very sick. but that has nothing to do with the agenda for and about this .. pandemic. I get my facts from Healthcare professionals, which I am one.. I'm glad you recovered and are feeling well.

Your facts are crap.  Enough said.

From John Hopkins..you should know what that is as a health care professional:

COVID-19: There have been approximately 2,093,725 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 410,378 people have died of COVID-19 between January 2020 and January 22, 2021.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm supposed to be shielding in RL not venturing out unless i have to and have just had my first dose of the Astrazeneca covid jab. i do miss seeing family/friends all the things i used to do pre-covid. The amount of time i've been spending in SL hasn't changed i've gotten in to watching loads of YouTube cast to my TV and doing more WhatsApp and zoom to keep up with people 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

Hm. I didn't say I had recovered and am feeling well. I do not feel well. I will never feel well again. But whatever, right? Right.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

Has anyone else been driven bananas by having to isolate?

not really, since I have worked from home for many years. It was hard to get used to wearing a mask all the time, and a challenge sharing workspace with my spouse but we adapted and now it's rather nice. The anxiety for my elderly relatives, and for my bro who is fighting covid and a host of other health problems has been more stressful than the life adjustments I've had to make. We lost one family acquaintance but mercifully no one else close to us.

I game a lot, and SL is part of that.. good place to come and just look at the scenery, since I'll be stuck on this 710sqkm island for a while to come! at least we have high speed internet and pizza delivery. keep up the good fight everyone

• Like 4

It's likely that my family had covid before the first lockdown, but it was too early for everything, including tests. They recovered. I ended up with reactive arthritis. I was too tired and in pain to do most things, but I could manage some Second Life, so I signed up for lots of events. I couldn't stay focused inworld for that long, so didn't get to enjoy the events in quite the same way (I didn't make it around all the birthday builds, for example, which is usually a highlight for me). But it did fill some time and it was great to chat to people.

I'm not fully recovered, but I can think again and have energy, so hoping for an awesome Fantasy Faire this year. I'm going to do all the things.

It'd be nice to go outside again, but I don't feel bad about it. I tend to take things as they come, so I just adapted to how things are now. I focus on daily exercises to help the joints heal and I'm getting back into my creative work (I write and do art outside of SL).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Your facts are crap.  Enough said.

From John Hopkins..you should know what that is as a health care professional:

COVID-19: There have been approximately 2,093,725 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 410,378 people have died of COVID-19 between January 2020 and January 22, 2021.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

My facts are crap.. enough said? Thats harsh. Do you believe everything you are told about this? It's your reality and thats ok. IMO, the WHO is not to be trusted. I knew my response to Covid would make people angry and that's ok too. I work in the health care field. I report what I see and hear. I don't believe what I don't see and I don't see many thousands of people dying. I see thousands being tested positive, but, positive test results do not mean death. Masks do nothing to stop the spread. A virus is one one hundred times smaller than a bacteria and can pass through most of the masks worn for covid virus. We have been isolated and, therefore, have not been permitted to achieve a herd immunity like with most virus diseases.

I think that social distancing and masks should be a personal choice. The government should not infringe on our inalienable rights. I'm sure that many people do feel safer with the government telling them what to do and how they should live. Its up to each one to make their own choice and believe or not believe what they hear from the WHO or CDC.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

ITT: person complaining about Covid who are also openly discussing how they themselves are actively involved in prolonging this pandemic. Yikes. 

Don't believe folks who claim to work in healthcare and then reject science outright. It's the most common troll tactic of the past six months. 

Edited by Bitterthorn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

No offence, but I don't think that's true. People of all ages and health are being hospitalised and dying. 

This is what I've never understood...WHY would they do that? Why would the media or government be obsessed with people wearing masks? What do they get out of it?

I have been wearing a mask for 9-10 months when I go out now, it doesn't affect me, or humiliate me, or define me, or make me feel controlled...I don't wear it at home, or even think about it until I go out to buy essentials. It's a precaution, like putting on a seat belt in a car.

I am not having a go at you, I just genuinely don't get all this fear about how it's some plot...is it so hard to accept that there's a dangerous new virus we need to adjust to, and we need to take some responsibility in our actions until we've got it under control? 

Devil's advocate. There is a precedent for why the media would inflate the numbers; Sensationalism, fear. "Thousands dying in the streets!" gets them clicks, and gets them ad revenue, much more than "People are getting sick." Just look at threads here on the forums. People saying stuff that riles up other people goes 300 pages, but someone saying something nice about SL goes 2 pages.

As for government, it's easy to say "they'd never do that, that doesn't make sense", or "that's some crazy conspiracy theory, they wouldn't try to make us compliant", but then you look up things like the tuskegee experiment or MKUltra or the stuff Dr. Robert Heath did in that penitentiary. Even as recently as 2014, the CIA's been up to similar stuff.

It's one thing not to agree with people's concerns, but it's ignorance to dismiss them entirely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eyeye Afterthought said:

Thanks. Do Linden people have birthday parties or something? SL gotta be good for parties. I went to a wedding one time. That was pretty nice. 

Just me and my daft sense of humour eyeye - I tend to wish pretty much everyone I encounter a happy birthday.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Devil's advocate. There is a precedent for why the media would inflate the numbers; Sensationalism, fear. "Thousands dying in the streets!" gets them clicks, and gets them ad revenue, much more than "People are getting sick." Just look at threads here on the forums. People saying stuff that riles up other people goes 300 pages, but someone saying something nice about SL goes 2 pages.

As for government, it's easy to say "they'd never do that, that doesn't make sense", or "that's some crazy conspiracy theory, they wouldn't try to make us compliant", but then you look up things like the tuskegee experiment or MKUltra or the stuff Dr. Robert Heath did in that penitentiary. Even as recently as 2014, the CIA's been up to similar stuff.

It's one thing not to agree with people's concerns, but it's ignorance to dismiss them entirely.

I don't think people should trust whatever the government says all the time, but I still don't understand how locking down the country or advising people to wear masks (it's not even a law) would benefit them? In the UK and USA, the governments originally said "Carry on as normal!" and only took any measures after the scientists and healthcare professionals nagged them. The UK government seems to change its mind on what to do every day, anyway...

The UK lockdowns have been a joke, really, lots of people have ignored them (including someone in my family 9_9) and there might be the odd arrest or fine, but they have barely been enforced. I don't understand how anyone can think they're being oppressed? I am in a 'mask minority' where I live... (ETA - I do think it was ridiculous that some people got fined for sunbathing in the park while still keeping a safe distance from others, or for driving to rural areas on their own, to go for a walk, where they wouldn't have contact with others. Some of those cases don't make any sense).

But I agree with you that the media loves sensationalism for clicks and ad revenue, best to check lots of sources. 

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I don't think people should trust whatever the government says all the time, but I still don't understand how locking down the country or advising people to wear masks (it's not even a law) would benefit them? In the UK and USA, the governments originally said "Carry on as normal!" and only took any measures after the scientists and healthcare professionals nagged them. The UK government seems to change its mind on what to do every day, anyway...

I recall a different story.

(from https://www.justsecurity.org/69650/timeline-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-and-u-s-response/):

• Late November-December 2019: U.S. intelligence agencies warn of a “cataclysmic” and “out-of-control” disease in Wuhan, China. 
  • Intelligence community bulletins begin circulating across the government around Thanksgiving.
  • December 30, 2019: A whistleblower, Chinese doctor Li Wenliang, alerts more than 100 of his colleagues about a new disease in Wuhan in a widely circulated post on social media.
  • January-February 2020: U.S. intelligence agencies issue  over a dozen detailed warnings  about the threat of the virus in the President’s Daily Brief, and issue classified reports about the virus; senior U.S. officials begin to form a task force.
  • U.S. intelligence community classified reports track the spread of the virus (...) and warn of global danger from the coronavirus. They reportedly issue over a dozen confidential reports in the president’s daily briefing
  • January 3, 2020: Chinese colleagues alert the CDC Director about the virus, and he alerts Secretary Azar. 
  • Sometime later in the month of January: FDA chief Stephen Hahn asks HHS if he can start contacting companies about possible shortages of personal protective equipment and other equipment. HHS tells him no. That decision causes weeks of delay.
  • January 7, 2020: The CDC creates an “incident management” system for the novel coronavirus.
  • Around the third week of January: U.S. diplomats in Wuhan return to the United States on chartered planes.
  • January 18, 2020: Alex Azar tries to speak to President Trump about the outbreak for the first time. President Trump ignores the warning. 
  • The same day: Dr. Rick Bright, Director of HHS’s Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), urges the administration to develop a coordinated government response group. 
  • January 20, 2020: The United States and South Korea each announce their first case of COVID-19 on the same day.
  • January 22, 2020: China closes off the city of Wuhan. President Trump states that the United States has the pandemic “totally under control” and that he trusts China.
  • The same day: An expert states that COVID-19 can be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers, “masking the true numbers infected and the extent of person to person transmission.” 
  • January 24, 2020: President Trump thanks Chinese President Xi for his transparency and effort in tackling the coronavirus. 
  • That same day: The Lancet publishes a study that finds a 10-year old boy in China was “shedding [the] virus without symptoms,” raising concerns of asymptomatic carriers.
  • January 25, 2020: Dr. Rick Bright, Director of HHS’s Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), warns others in the administration that there is a critical need for procuring surgical masks.
  • January 30, 2020: (1) A research paper published by the New England Journal of Medicine confirms the existence of asymptomatic transmission of the coronavirus. (2) Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says the virus will be good for the U.S. economy in a Fox News interview. (3) Secretary Azar directly warns President Trump that the virus could morph into a pandemic, a warning the president discounts as alarmist. 
  • The same day: The WHO declares that the COVID-19 outbreak is a “Public Health Emergency.” 
  • January 30, 2020: President Trump states that the U.S. has the virus “under control” and hosts a campaign rally in Iowa.  

Trump never had power. He didn't get himself elected. It was never actually about him or his story. It never is. Now there's Biden, and unless he's about to start turning over US war criminals to the ICC,  I foresee that this nightmare is far from over.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

3 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

It seems they founded their brave new era on willfully-perpetuated falsehood and unsound premise.

I cannot take a quotation from the NY Times seriously, and if you think that was the sort of thing that motivated most people to vote for Brexit it just shows you do not know us.  As I said before, though, this is off-topic.  I don't propose to respond here to any more garbage.

7 hours ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

have not been permitted to achieve a herd immunity like with most virus disease

How about you stop.  It's disturbing that you work in healthcare.  Going to argue with the dictionary, too.

Herd Immunity

the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.