You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

These past 10 day I've had to isolate in Real Life due to a colleague at RL work testing positive (who has thankfully made a 100% recovery).

Has anyone else been driven bananas by having to isolate? I figured I was lucky as I have my exercise bike which has been pounded an average of 4 hours a day, and Second Life which I was on an average on 12 hours daily.

so, it got me wondering besides when is it Patch's and Tommy's  birthdays, but has anyone else seen Second Life as a true aid to isolation in Real Life?

disclaimer: my forum block list currently stands at 8 1/2 pages so I *will* only see worthwhile responses.

I've been in a state of near-isolation for quite a while now because of my partner's susceptibility. SL definitely helps by giving me the feeling of both being able to get out and explore and at the same time giving me a stable point as an anchor.

What I have noticed not just on these forums but on a few others I frequent is a growing tendency to short outbursts or over-reaction, which I have to assume is caused by lockdown and then need to adhere to external restrictions. All I can say to people is, be aware of this, try and give others a bit more leeway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've been in a state of near-isolation for quite a while now because of my partner's susceptibility. SL definitely helps by giving me the feeling of both being able to get out and explore and at the same time giving me a stable point as an anchor.

What I have noticed not just on these forums but on a few others I frequent is a growing tendency to short outbursts or over-reaction, which I have to assume is caused by lockdown and then need to adhere to external restrictions. All I can say to people is, be aware of this, try and give others a bit more leeway.

I agree whole heartedly.

8 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

With a block list that long and growing, I'm surprised social isolation is an issue for you.

He mentions it almost literally every time he posts. It's the equivalent to flipping the finger to 8 1/2 pages of people here, with impunity.

It's obnoxious, and truly infantile.

The only plus is that it reconfirms, every time he does it, how little I'd ever want to have anything to do with him.

• Like 7

Thankfully I live in a retirement community where we have some limited social interactions (6 feet apart, outdoors), otherwise I think I WOULD go crazy.

Yesterday we had to drive to the bank and the petfood store. It was an adventure.

I'm not very social in Second Life, but I am spending more time there since the corona.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bitterthorn said:

OP's problematic posts aside... isolation has been rough. I hope everyone is doing their best to be kind to themselves. ❤️

nothing up with my posts, but ty ^^

(and I'll stick with that view until the day Governance decide otherwise)

Edited by Adamburp Adamczyk
wording.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

disclaimer: my forum block list currently stands at 8 1/2 pages so I *will* only see worthwhile responses.

Well, since I'm pretty sure I'm on that block list, I'll give a response just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing.

I've welcomed the isolation that Covid has given me.  I no longer have to go to the office and deal with people in person.  Since my husband likes to grocery shop, he does most of that, which means I seldom need to go out of the house and deal with people at all.  So, heaven in my eyes.

I've used SL for over a decade as the vehicle for the small bit of "people interaction" that I actually want.

• Like 7

I thought lockdown would drive me nuts but it's been OK, I can't moan!

I miss my family and friends, and I found Xmas quite hard, but when I'm not working I spend the time reading and studying, or watching YT documentaries and learning new things. I really enjoyed going to the local park in spring and summer. I don't want to be insensitive to people who suffered, but the first lockdown last year almost seemed like this magical period, with goats invading streets in Wales, and clearer blue skies from fewer air flights, and everybody Zooming each other and people DJing in their living rooms on Twitch and FB Live...

I haven't spent as much time on SL as I thought I would (I probably spend more time in the forum lol)... I still can't find a mesh head I like ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

I thought lockdown would drive me nuts but it's been OK, I can't moan!

I miss my family and friends, and I found Xmas quite hard, but when I'm not working I spend the time reading and studying, or watching YT documentaries and learning new things. I really enjoyed going to the local park in spring and summer. I don't want to be insensitive to people who suffered, but the first lockdown last year almost seemed like this magical period, with goats invading streets in Wales, and clearer blue skies from fewer air flights, and everybody Zooming each other and people DJing in their living rooms on Twitch and FB Live...

I haven't spent as much time on SL as I thought I would (I probably spend more time in the forum lol)... I still can't find a mesh head I like ;)

I do a lot of online courses anyway for my RL job, and just to better myself.  This past week has been hard as I couldn't go past the garden gate due to the 10 day isolation period required by law.

During the "normal (?)" lockdown I still enjoy putting my boots on and going for a 10-12 mile hike o'er hill and dale. ^^

• Like 1

Second Life has been a major part of my life for nearly 16 years, as a way of reaching beyond the world of chronic illness.  I now find I'm faring better than those who have to isolate as I'm used to it and they aren't.  It's also nice to have quieter streets, and somewhat less pollution.  I can only say that those finding it a strain may see an end to it in the coming months, but in the meantime they can make use of the opportunity to see another side of themselves.  Chin up. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Second Life has been a major part of my life for nearly 16 years, as a way of reaching beyond the world of chronic illness.  I now find I'm faring better than those who have to isolate as I'm used to it and they aren't.  It's also nice to have quieter streets, and somewhat less pollution.  I can only say that those finding it a strain may see an end to it in the coming months, but in the meantime they can make use of the opportunity to see another side of themselves.  Chin up. :) 

*offers a far reach hug to Garnet*

I hear you Garnet ^^

Come Sunday I can go outdoors once more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

He mentions it almost literally every time he posts. It's the equivalent to flipping the finger to 8 1/2 pages of people here, with impunity.

It's obnoxious, and truly infantile.

The only plus is that it reconfirms, every time he does it, how little I'd ever want to have anything to do with him.

I think it is a wonderful opportunity to experience what it is like to be part of a cancelled culture and develop a real empathy for those who are under such a thing in R/L.

As to the OP, I wouldn't actually mind being in isolation for 10 days as long as I have my computer and a working internet. Can you imagine these lockdowns if those weren't available? I've tried in meditation to get a sense of what that would be like. Like what a prisoner must feel like when they are put in solitary. Be enough i think to drive many quite mad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think it is a wonderful opportunity to experience what it is like to be part of a cancelled culture and develop a real empathy for those who are under such a thing in R/L.

As to the OP, I wouldn't actually mind being in isolation for 10 days as long as I have my computer and a working internet. Can you imagine these lockdowns if those weren't available? I've tried in meditation to get a sense of what that would be like. Like what a prisoner must feel like when they are put in solitary. Be enough i think to drive many quite mad.

I had my PC, Second Life, subscription TV, exercise bike, video calling facilities, ebooks, and my own reflection in the mirror to keep me busy, but still, it was far harder than I had imagined.  There's only so much TV you can watch before you crave a brisk hike on the hills if you're used to it.

• Like 2

I am struggling to get why it is such a drama to isolate when the alternative is the possibility of you getting sick or possibly infecting someone and making them sick.

And ten days?  Big whoop!  We had to isolate for FOUR WEEKS and then ANOTHER THREE WEEKS a few months later.

file-20200803-24-50u91u.jpg

^^ my way of calling you the "P" word^^

Edited by Jordan Whitt

36 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

A false analogy and in any case utterly irrelevant.

The OP can ignore the entire forum for all that I care. I certainly don't mind him having me on ignore. I don't feel "cancelled" -- in fact, as I learn more about him, it's coming to feel like a godsend.

What I DO mind is seeing almost the entire community here needlessly insulted every time he gratuitously mentions his swelling ignore list.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

has anyone else seen Second Life as a true aid to isolation in Real Life?

Even though I'm 99.98% certain you blocked me before I had a chance to clear up a misunderstanding, yes. I've been isolated most of my life, both involuntarily and voluntarily. I don't think I'll ever fully come to terms with it but I've reached a point where I can live with it. I hope.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I could go back to being without a computer or internet quite easily since they didn't exist when I was growing up. lol Would it be easier to go back to being without than growing up without? Only if I had unlimited funds for books, movies, theater (dance too!) and a landline. Ok, I can live without the theater as long I can still see it on tv even if it isn't a full length version of Swan Lake or The Nutcracker. I'd still have the occasional bout with cabin fever and would have to work to keep "stir crazy" attacks at bay but as long as I can look out a window and see other people and hear them making normal everyday noises, I'd be fine. So yeah, going back to living how I used to live wouldn't be that hard and I could probably sustain that indefinitely.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

These past 10 day I've had to isolate in Real Life due to a colleague at RL work testing positive (who has thankfully made a 100% recovery).

Has anyone else been driven bananas by having to isolate? I figured I was lucky as I have my exercise bike which has been pounded an average of 4 hours a day, and Second Life which I was on an average on 12 hours daily.

so, it got me wondering besides when is it Patch's and Tommy's  birthdays, but has anyone else seen Second Life as a true aid to isolation in Real Life?

I work mostly alone anyways, forklifting. Walk alone to work and back again. Canteen closed. Some dudes wanna be social at lunchtimes, they'd be on my RL block list if I could have such a thing, stupid mixing they do, got this idea in there heads about it being government control. 

Lockdown not made a deal of difference to me, still not got much time to log in proper to SL, and people on these forums have seemed meaner (some people), and I don't block people but will run on by them if I don't like them. 

Who are Patch and Tommy? 

• Like 1

I'm a skeptic about the number of deaths from Covid. I have many friends in the healthcare field (I'm one too) that have told me that the more Covid deaths reported in hospitals, the more government aid money the get for the hospital. A friend of mine who has been a nurse practitioner for over 20 yrs told me that some heart attack and pneumonia deaths and several other conditions have been attributed to Covid, which is a blatant lie. In many hospitals in the USA, deaths are being fudged for the sake of government money.

I'm sure there are people dying from it.. the elderly and chronic pre-existing conditions... just like the flu contributes to mortality in this same group of people. This is similar to the flu with slightly different symptoms and highly treatable. Testing can show positive result. That is what is being reported. Just because a person has tested positive doesn't mean a death sentence. The news loves to hype the number to keep us in fear, under control and compliant with mask regulations.

Why isn't flu treated the same way? Why no masks for flu outbreak? The same amount of mortality ..if not more, but, no crazy social distancing or masks. We are living in fear when we should be standing up and speaking out for our God given rights as human beings. I'm sure this post will piss off many people who are still trusting the Gov and the CDC. But thats ok. I chose to live without fear. Others can live how they chose .. in fear or freedom. Your choice.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

I'm a skeptic about the number of deaths from Covid. I have many friends in the healthcare field (I'm one too) that have told me that the more Covid deaths reported in hospitals, the more government aid money the get for the hospital. A friend of mine who has been a nurse practitioner for over 20 yrs told me that some heart attack and pneumonia deaths and several other conditions have been attributed to Covid, which is a blatant lie. In many hospitals in the USA, deaths are being fudged for the sake of government money.

I'm sure there are people dying from it.. the elderly and chronic pre-existing conditions... just like the flu contributes to mortality in this same group of people. This is similar to the flu with slightly different symptoms and highly treatable. Testing can show positive result. That is what is being reported. Just because a person has tested positive doesn't mean a death sentence. The news loves to hype the number to keep us in fear, under control and compliant with mask regulations.

Why isn't flu treated the same way? Why no masks for flu outbreak? The same amount of mortality ..if not more, but, no crazy social distancing or masks. We are living in fear when we should be standing up and speaking out for our God given rights as human beings. I'm sure this post will piss off many people who are still trusting the Gov and the CDC. But thats ok. I chose to live without fear. Others can live how they chose .. in fear or freedom. Your choice.

Theres other options. Why do people like you assume we're trusting the government or cdc? Why do you people assume we're living in fear? We're just trying to make informed decisions. Its all new territory, and this is not just flu. This is the germ that the .01% of household disinfectants doesn't kill. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.