Tools to test and preview meshes?

Naiman Broome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Naiman Broome said:

Are there any tools that allow to preview and test meshes before uploading to SL ? I mean tests like prim cost, land impact, size etc ...

Stuff that you would normally do may be in the Beta grid that that could instead be done in an external tool?

You can load files with the uploader but not upload them to Second Life. The Firestorm viewer lets you resize the viewing window, so you can enlarge it and see what you're uploading. You get land impact information from the uploader.

• Thanks 1

I very rarely see it mentioned here, but you can also install a local instance of the opensim server and then test your stuff there. Its like having your own local private grid. I have been doing this for ages, since my scripter days.

Pros: Way faster than the beta grid (instant login, no lag), less resource intensive than SL (I cant have SL running while Im playing a game or rendering something, but I can do it with opensim no problem).

Cons: The cost will be always zero, so you cant really see how much you would have to pay when uploading to SL and the land impact calculations are not exactly the same. But you can still get an idea if a mesh is having a bigger impact than a previous one, or if a rigging is working fine, etc.

TLDR: Wont help much with the "prim cost, land impact" part, but will help with the "etc" part :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, npcee said:

I very rarely see it mentioned here, but you can also install a local instance of the opensim server and then test your stuff there. Its like having your own local private grid. I have been doing this for ages, since my scripter days.

Pros: Way faster than the beta grid (instant login, no lag), less resource intensive than SL (I cant have SL running while Im playing a game or rendering something, but I can do it with opensim no problem).

Cons: The cost will be always zero, so you cant really see how much you would have to pay when uploading to SL and the land impact calculations are not exactly the same. But you can still get an idea if a mesh is having a bigger impact than a previous one, or if a rigging is working fine, etc.

TLDR: Wont help much with the "prim cost, land impact" part, but will help with the "etc" part :P

This is interesting , i know I can check Land impact in mesh upload preview but what I wanted to check is how mesh looks ingame, align textures , see how light impacts surface, shader effect etc...

How I do to install this?

5 hours ago, Naiman Broome said:

This is interesting , i know I can check Land impact in mesh upload preview but what I wanted to check is how mesh looks ingame, align textures , see how light impacts surface, shader effect etc...

How I do to install this?

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Download

Make sure to check the configuration page. It has step by step instructions on how to configure it. The very first time running it is a bit annoying because you'll have to create an user and configure some files. But after that you just run the server, configure firestorm (the opensim version) to connect to it and log with the user you created. (ps: you want standalone mode, not grid mode... its much simpler to run too)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, npcee said:

I very rarely see it mentioned here, but you can also install a local instance of the opensim server and then test your stuff there

Be aware that different physics is used when uploading to SL or Opensim, so what you find on a standalone might not be the same as what you find in SecondLife.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.