Besides sex, what are ppl into these days in Second Life?

Mimaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Besides [buying stuff], what are ppl into these days in Second Life?

Seems like the [sculpty] scene is ding out.  [Flexi prim dresses] aren't a commodity anymore.  As far as [shops] go, what is everyone's preference?  Simple [freebie stores][Clothing stores][Gacha garage sales]?

Would like to get some insight on this.

Ppl I've spoke to have said that more ppl are going for the [fashion and home and decoration events] than any others.

Just replace the blue words with whatever your see around you in your little part of the world. Rince, repeat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Mimaw said:

You are right Alwin, there's a heck of a lot more to SL then just sex.

The tinies, which are not child avatars by the way, are an asexual crowd of mostly small humanimal avatars although there are petite fairies and bees and dancing flowers - all kinds of "tinies" make up the tiny community.  Dinkies are the most adorkable, imo, because of the way they can dance.  Tinies hang out in large groups and we have events that can go over 100 because we are such low lag avatars.  When I stumbled upon the Dinkies one day and then decided to become one, I've had the best SL I could ever hope for.  We get together to just have "fun" and enjoy live music.  Music in some ways is kind of dying out because people like to voice chat on Discord now that's why I think the live events are just more fun.  Humans should follow the tiny tradition and have live music festivals like the tinies do.  Our next live music festival will be for Mardi Gras most likely as well as a large parade of floats and without lag!  Discovering the low lag experience of what I named "Tinyland" was pure fun and freedom to me.  In the cloud I have less lag now so I have been making some sort of human avatars for photos, although I'd say my humans are a hybrid also and more like fairy, elf, or an Angel.  The human mini skirt and mini club dresses I got sick of those and needed other things to open and stimulate my mind.  But, if you get a chance, look up Keeba Tammas and the Tiny Maniacs as it's really a great live show.  Keeba has been singing on stage since she was 5 years old, that's why I think she can relate to the tinies so well.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The tinies, which are not child avatars by the way, are an asexual crowd of mostly small humanimal avatars although there are petite fairies and bees and dancing flowers - all kinds of "tinies" make up the tiny community.  Dinkies are the most adorkable, imo, because of the way they can dance.  Tinies hang out in large groups and we have events that can go over 100 because we are such low lag avatars.  When I stumbled upon the Dinkies one day and then decided to become one, I've had the best SL I could ever hope for.  We get together to just have "fun" and enjoy live music.  Music in some ways is kind of dying out because people like to voice chat on Discord now that's why I think the live events are just more fun.  Humans should follow the tiny tradition and have live music festivals like the tinies do.  Our next live music festival will be for Mardi Gras most likely as well as a large parade of floats and without lag!  Discovering the low lag experience of what I named "Tinyland" was pure fun and freedom to me.  In the cloud I have less lag now so I have been making some sort of human avatars for photos, although I'd say my humans are a hybrid also and more like fairy, elf, or an Angel.  The human mini skirt and mini club dresses I got sick of those and needed other things to open and stimulate my mind.  But, if you get a chance, look up Keeba Tammas and the Tiny Maniacs as it's really a great live show.  Keeba has been singing on stage since she was 5 years old, that's why I think she can relate to the tinies so well.    

That's fantastic!!  I've met some tinies. so I know about them.  And yes, there are live shows that humans do.  Some do concerts.  Live singers, and some do karaoke.

8 minutes ago, Mimaw said:

That's fantastic!!  I've met some tinies. so I know about them.  And yes, there are live shows that humans do.  Some do concerts.  Live singers, and some do karaoke.

Oh, yeah I know about the human singers and live shows...I meant a festival.  Our festivals are usually for a whole weekend of live entertainment.  I don't think the human crowd has those that are like a festival for a whole weekend.  Keeba is a human singer whose band is made up on tinies.   The singers at our tiny music festivals are usually human with the exception of Songbird perhaps.  But, mostly humans come to entertain us.  Humans are welcome at our tiny festivals also.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mimaw said:

I was hoping I was wrong.  However, ppl I've spoke to have said that more ppl are going for the sex clubs than any others.

Of course people are going to adult/sex clubs.  That's where the people are at.  Most that I go to are more like nightclubs.  Music and dancing, some with djs, some without.  People can and do also engage in sex but I'd have to say it's a small percentage.  They're just there to meet people just like any other club.  

• Like 3

I always said that Second Life is as limited as your imagination is and being in the name itself; being a parallel to real life you can do whatever you want.

Something I found myself doing as of late (which is not really surprising given my fondness and fascination with SL history and it's lore as one of those side things) is riding the Tour Pods around each route and taking in the 'old days'. When I rode the Pod around my home away from home in the Vehicle sandbox/Ahern area it took me waaaaay back. Messed with my head abit but in a good way when I was listening to the Pod explain everything as I went by. I feel these areas in particular are pretty under-appreciated and in general the bulk of what LL creates.

I've found myself realizing that LL has explored more creative freedom than ironically most community content providers. It's amazing the effort and time they put into their projects to make SL as immerse as possible with the high-way systems, the canals, the trams, the Tour Pods, the oil-rig in ANWR (which is becoming a favourite spot of mine), even discovered a under-water research center and it just goes on and on.

That being said, there are many things I do in SL besides sex including sailing, flying, driving cars, general messing around in sims like Sandboxes testing and experimenting with items such as weaponry you name it.

Other times I like to go around and study bots (been doing it for a few months) and it's interesting the behavior of each one and their intended purposes. I also enjoy kicking back and observing people socialize with each other in general and see how it goes. Like a scientist taking notes (sociology is one thing that fascinates me so you get the jist). You learn alot by doing that and it reminds me of a mix of The Sims, GTA and Animal Crossing (Second Life itself does).

Edited by Simo Vodopan
  • Like 5

People CAN do whatever they want.

If you want to know what the majority really does check the Marketplace "Best selling products" listing and don´t forget to switch to include "Adult" listings.

Then skip the first ten pages where all the sex stuff is listed.

What remains are mainly avatar related items like skins, shapes, hair, clothes and whatsoever. The first rezzable you´ll stumble over will be a sex bed, most probably. And finally there will be some readymade mesh buildings where they can shape their avis for having virtual sex on these beds.

/me grins

• Like 1

I spend most of my time wandering, taking pictures, playing "Game of Homes" (both in Bellisseria and Mainland) and just wondering at all the things that Second Life Residents and The Moles have created.

I have dabbled at being a real estate baron, builder, and scripter, but have given up that fight for the time being. Maybe this year I'll try to tackle Blender again...

Pixel sex? I'm very afraid that anyone whose first experience with 'sex' is in Second Life is going to be disappointed. I imagine a wedding night "What do you mean, your thing doesn't talk?"

Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My favourite things to do in SL (apart from SLex):

- shopping (trying on demos)

- decorating my SL house 

- going on hunts

- meeting and catching up with friends

- taking pics with friends

- visiting live music venues

- quizzes and quiz nights 

- playing games

- exploring new sims

- hanging at beaches or clubs

- flirting with excitable young noobs 

- meeting new people and making new friends 

- discovering new music

- trolling groups chats (but in a playful fun self-deprecating way)

- tweaking my avatar

- updating my profile/picks

- re-organising my inventory 

- roleplaying 

Edited by PixieGirrrrl
  • Like 3

I've joined a few club groups, but mostly I follow DJs. A good DJ makes or breaks a club and they often travel about from venue to venue. So I am exploring and getting introduced to new places where I know the music selection is great. This also applies to live music events. Follow the artists and the clubs will follow. 

I build. I used to just prim play, but now I'm neck deep into blender and mesh. It relaxes me. Once in a while I will actually put it into my marketplace store and sell something, which is always good.I can always use cash and my other avatar is an unapologetic boot whore (SMH).

I explore. This is kind-of old school, but I look at the map for stacks of green dots and then just randomly TP there. For me the destination guide for clubs and meetups seems stuck on the same old places but the editor picks often have new places. 

Window shopping... which inevitably leads to real shopping but I found the most adorable animesh rabbits the other day but just window shopping. 

I flirt. I gave up SLex a long time ago. But I love to flirt and have intimate discussions with true SL friends who know me, that cruise close to SLsex without the nasty pixel bumping. Intimacy in SL happens in the mind not the screen IMHO. Find a spot, grab a friend, and cuddle while exploring the folds and corners of their darkest (or lightest) desires. 

Meeting new people and making new friends. 

Help somebody new get over the hump and unlock the wonders of living in a virtual world. 

Edited by Alma Palmira
  • Like 6

I've realised that I reenact my hobby of visiting ruins and dig sites in the RL on SL. Visiting RP sims that look like they were popular and active in their heyday and are now abandoned (in the sense of empty and unvisited, not Land Abandoned) gives me the exact same fuzzy-sad feelings as when standing in some castle ruins. Could also just be due to my timezone, and I miss the usual active peak times, but still. 

At the moment I'm also looking for land to rent, so I've been hopping all over the place, looking for the perfect parcel. Checking out what other people have built and decorated is tremendous fun. 

And of course shopping. Just like in real life I have trouble focusing on and curating a single aesthetic, so this is an expensive, but oh so fun hobby. Am I a cute uwu girl? A sexy temptress? A flower demon? And don't get me started on furniture shopping, I want it all. I no longer visit gacha yard sales because they do ugly things to my wallet. 

• Like 5

Pretty much I build things for myself or other people.  My present project is a dockable submarine that would allow one to enter the underwater habitat that I have built.  If I'm not working on a particular build, I like to spend time with friends catching up, sailing, dancing, etc.  Exploring sims is a great past time.  My best suggestion is to be creative and find a way to express your personality and find like minded people.  

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Second Life is like the character creation screen of most MMO games. It's a game of  never ending customization.

There's also the housing decoration game. That never grows old. 

+1 for character creation. Very good point.

SL is a very good basis for creating characters. You can sort of "write a book in 3D" and "be in it".
Many SL people have Flickr pages, some have Youtube channels, and the creativity is just astounding sometimes.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 2:30 PM, FairreLilette said:

Totally brand new to SL here.  And just starting to try and learn.  and every single day I learn something more amazing the the last thing i discovered or learned.  And I had no idea that this tinies/dinkies was a thing, but sounds AWESOME.  Thanks for sharing and providing insight.  I need to learn more.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Kreatures to be released to get back into the breedable game that I never grew out of.

Kreatures.  LOL  I never got into breedables due to having six cats in real life was enough to take care of plus all the other things I had to do throughout a day with working part-time and the other time being a part-time housewife.  About a year ago someone was talking in local chat about how when the horses first arrived one could get like 150K lindens for one horse at an auction.  That's a lot of money...150K lindens when horses first started.   Will these "kreatures" be auctioned too?

Edited by FairreLilette

Just now, FairreLilette said:

Kreatures.  LOL  I never got into breedables due to having six cats in real life was enough to take care plus all the other things I had to do throughout a day.  About a year ago someone was talking in local chat about how when the horses first arrived one could get like 150K lindens for one horse at an auction.  That's a lot of money...150K lindens when horses first started.   Will these "kreatures" be auctioned too?

Most likely. They also have an inbuilt way to be posted on the website if they're for sale, so it'll be really simple to buy and sell them. Plus, they're cute and I'm looking forward to getting a new parcel for them and making it look nice. So far they say they'll be released at the beginning of quarter 2 this year, so april.

• Like 1

I spend what seems like a lot of time exploring. I Control-M to pull up Map, then click on a distant region to teleport to it. No idea what I'll find, and that leads to the joy of discovery. It's fun to stumble upon places that were probably busy ten years ago but are dead now, especially beaches, post-apocalyptic scenes, and vaguely Asian cities. It also shows how the build tech in SL has progressed over the years. I take a lot of photos, because even beautiful places come and go all the damn time.

• Like 1

Things I do in SL?

I hang with my GF, Tami, a LOT

Decorate and redecorate my parcel on Luxory

I DJ 3 times a week at Skillet, Harlow's and Groove

I take photos in SL, send them to RL where I use several editing tools to enhance them. Then they are sent to Flickr and/or uploaded to SL

Some shopping although with BOM I'm at the point I don't really need more clothes unless I see something I REALLY like.

I am on the staff for the US Military Veterans group. 

I display my photos at some events.  Rock your Rack two years.

Spend time searching SL for places to photograph or set up scenes for photos.

I'm sure I'm leaving out something. I stay busy. 

Oh yes. I spent time with my GF, Tami, a LOT.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.