WTH is .....

Aethelwine

On 2/12/2021 at 12:29 PM, Rufferta said:

Remember that the early Moles only had prims to work with. Would you go to Stonehenge and say "I wonder why they didn't use better materials?" 

Everything Eric Linden made was of prims and it still looks good. He was a professional. But LL fired him and let people with no modelling and texturing experience take over.

Also, Stonehenge still looks great.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rufferta said:

This is on ground level in a small Mainland community in Jeogeot. There is a teleport inside which will take you to an amazing skycan filled with posters with information about different Second Life destinations.

chilbojeogeot.jpg

I spent a few hours driving the roads of Jeogeot fruitlessly when I thought to do a group search... and there I found it...

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Chilbo/143/57/97

What a cool place!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Everything Eric Linden made was of prims and it still looks good. He was a professional. But LL fired him and let people with no modelling and texturing experience take over.

As far as I know, Eric Linden wasn't fired, he quit. I may be wrong though, there was a lot of drama going on at LL at that time.

I certainly don't agree with your description of the Moles. Yes, I know I've been criticizing them a lot and will continue to do so but that is all about their lack of understanding of modern SL materials like mesh, baked textures and normal and specular maps. When it comes to the tools and materials that were available back when they started, they are excellent. Not as good as Eric Linden of course ut very few people are.

There is a charm and innocent playfulness in the LDPW builds that I love.

What I brought up was really more to do with the starkness of that particular build in Frostar, in Gaeta V, and the palms that don't hold their LoD and really haven't dated well. I too have wondered if the builder intentionally made it that way because it was the end of the era of expanding continents. But it is not the barrenness of the build that offends, it is those palms.

At Svarga, the same palms are used, but alongside other better plants... they are sort of filler the fact they are constantly distorting and changing shape as you look around isn't such an eyesore. It would be nice if they could update those palms centrally to a version that held its Lod.

Edited by Aethelwine

3 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

What I brought up was really more to do with the starkness of that particular build in Frostar, in Gaeta V, and the palms that don't hold their LoD and really haven't dated well. I too have wondered if the builder intentionally made it that way because it was the end of the era of expanding continents. But it is not the barrenness of the build that offends, it is those palms.

That's system vegetation. Cuting edge when SL was new and still pretty much what they had available in 2008. They were supposed to use impostors for the lower LoD models but for some reason LL never got around to implement that feature. Still, we've all seen mesh plants that are much worse.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Ok so my turn, still in Jeogeot.. I saw a nice spot for a swim.... but beware of the freshwater catfish...

Snapshot_007.jpg.7f9041b206fc6b31aeed4edf0e368d12.jpg

It has been a while since I posted this, but I don't think I can really give much more away than I already have.. I suppose I could highlight what I said that should really narrow this down to just a handful of regions to search.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

Satori is well known for its broken road system.... but where is this broken bridge?

Snapshot_012.jpg.8238ab0c25519b8823397284d58cdbf6.jpg

Snapshot_011.jpg.c59d41fc240987865c59e02fd274a10b.jpg

It's in Fenric and Davros, and if you're there, there's something you shouldn't miss:

1760168567_CooterLindenMemorial.jpg.8a1f72bfc3c3c0a8f088436f2b19bf91.jpg

So if we're at the challenging/impossible to drive roads, this is my favorite. Where is it?

goingdown.jpg.4944d6e24914cc29df3b9aabe461bcaf.jpg

brokenroad2.thumb.jpg.ae44cd1889064154c5d5f264758ab1cf.jpg

Edited by AlettaMondragon
additional photo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, AlettaMondragon said:

It's in Fenric and Davros, and if you're there, there's something you shouldn't miss:

So if we're at the challenging/impossible to drive roads, this is my favorite. Where is it?

I hadn't seen that plaque really good find, and I love the timing on your photo.... perfect !

The location is the Amundsen Road, drop down to the Ice Canyon Road.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Auschnar Run/62/248/86

• Like 1

This is a bit different, it is a relatively recent private build stretching across multiple regions. A little beautifully done narrow gauge railway.

Snapshot_013.jpg.99ad7aea4a91687fea1d487161a26a46.jpg

It is visible from the map, but not on the continent most known for its railways... but as of last year it is now connected (albeit by flying for quite some time).

Any idea where this adorable zany little railway is?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I hadn't seen that plaque really good find, and I love the timing on your photo.... perfect !

That's actually the original photo that I took the first time I drove there, while I was still new. I didn't expect the road to break like that, I thought it would be just a steep grade down to the canyon. I had to realize in a millisecond that wasn't the case, so I quickly pulled the parking brake, but it was only enough to produce this great photo, after that, I put it in Drive again and I properly fell down 😂

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AlettaMondragon said:

brokenroad2.thumb.jpg.ae44cd1889064154c5d5f264758ab1cf.jpg

That's wonderful - I'd never seen that before!

• Like 2

This may relate to a location that was posted earlier. It appears to be contemporary with the four "Korea" Regions, because they both offer the same "click here to get a free outfit" setup.

There was also a chat parrot, and a large building with some nice artwork.

free-clothes.jpg

• Like 1