WTH is .....

Aethelwine

Hmm maybe another view:

Snapshot_117.thumb.jpg.7e1977b7e23ec1c378a8bf606218e5c2.jpg

For the eagle eyed amongst you, you might be thinking that lighthouse looks like a model of the one on Fastnet Rock... and you would be right.. a wonderful iconic build by RJ Kikuchiyo.

The Lighthouse also hosts a memorial to sailing innovators and leaders in SL ...

Snapshot_118.thumb.jpg.2455fc577e0f2fca7ab17eb2c25fa8af.jpg 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

Blake Sea - Haggerty - 77/94/69.  Darn, I was all over this area yesterday, but didn't think to look up.

I did get to admire a lot of the Blake Sea area yesterday, though - very beautiful! 

Sidenotes:

I was using an old version of the Continent locater script in my "Where the heck am I?" bracelet, and I found that it has been updated to include Sharp. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/ContinentDetector

Loren Fox has updated many maps and also produced a HUD so that you can find rezzing areas. Free on the Marketplace. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mainland-Maps-RezZone-LandMarks-FinderHUD-MAREFI/20221306

There are new exhibits at the New Kadath Lighthouse, including a page that shows Jack Linden's early drawings of some of the continents. 

Simple's Zoo in Lythria is now gone, but there are still vestiges in Plebeja, where you can still cam in and pick up some freebies or buy some books or buildings. 

Edited by Rufferta
Adding information, in case I am not the last person to know some things.
  • Like 4

Wearing my mecha-suit Borok I was concerned that, with the water on one side being 86 feet, and on the other side 16, this dam would not be able to hold back the huge weight of the water behind it. I was reassured that it has been standing since Eric Linden built it in Sansara years ago.

Behind the dam there is a Marina, and at the bottom of the Marina there is a small section of the Public Land Preserve with furniture for mermaids and some freebies including a book "What Mermaids & Mermen Ought to Know About MATING".

On the other side there is a narrow river, spoiled by some unfortunate builds and over-eager security orbs, that ends in a bay near the Snowlands. 

Where was I?

robot at dam.jpg

Edited by Rufferta
trimmed postcard
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rufferta said:

Wearing my mecha-suit Borok I was concerned that, with the water on one side being 86 feet, and on the other side 16, this dam would not be able to hold back the huge weight of the water behind it. I was reassured that it has been standing since Eric Linden built it in Sansara years ago.

Behind the dam there is a Marina, and at the bottom of the Marina there is a small section of the Public Land Preserve with furniture for mermaids and some freebies including a book "What Mermaids & Mermen Ought to Know About MATING".

On the other side there is a narrow river, spoiled by some unfortunate builds and over-eager security orbs, that ends in a bay near the Snowlands. 

Where was I?

robot at dam.jpg

I'm having trouble telling from the photo, but maybe you are in Clarksburg/Ross?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

I'm sorry I didn't have a better photo. Here is one from the top. 

view of dam.jpg

Thanks! I'm sure some of the experts around here can recognize a section of a rock wall, but I sure can't. lol

ETA: I'm standing on the dam, in Barton. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Barton/119/253/82

Snapshot_001.png

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rufferta said:

Where was I?

robot at dam.jpg

After Sylvia found it I went to take a look, it took me a while to find the Mer area.. it is a bit further away than I imagined for the description but worth it when I did the parcels around it are magical. The Deep Art Gallery and beyond it the underwater decorated linden waterway with projected lights and fishy structures.

Did you notice inside the wall itself, like some others is one of Prok's cult of the True Linden things? along with a Nicole Linden Bear?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

After Sylvia found it I went to take a look, it took me a while to find the Mer area.. it is a bit further away than I imagined for the description but worth it when I did the parcels around it are magical. The Deep Art Gallery and beyond it the underwater decorated linden waterway with projected lights and fishy structures.

Did you notice inside the wall itself, like some others is one of Prok's cult of the True Linden things? along with a Nicole Linden Bear?

Thank you! I was aware of the Dinken Gallery, but not of the wonderful underwater passage beyond it. Seeing these things makes me hopeful for the survival of the Mainland.

I had forgotten that the dam wall was hollow - I wonder why Prok put up the monument?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

Thank you! I was aware of the Dinken Gallery, but not of the wonderful underwater passage beyond it. Seeing these things makes me hopeful for the survival of the Mainland.

I had forgotten that the dam wall was hollow - I wonder why Prok put up the monument?

I don't know, but I think I noticed similar in the Sutherland dam with a Cult of the True Linden room inside it, perhaps there are others around that area too.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

You all will know this one for sure, but I have to show it anyway because it's one of my very favorite places in SL. Where am I?

Snapshot_004.png

This is the Cloud Chateau in Hina - 25/3/748.  I actually hadn't seen it before but I remembered the Particle Laboratory and started trying out the different balloon destinations. 

Thank you! I have always loved fireworks, and these were something special.

• Like 3

This is not a permanent landmark, but I thought it was worth seeing. It is in Gaeta V.

On both sides of the Linden road there is a nonprofit organization dedicated (as far as I can understand) to saving the atmosphere. On one side is their building and educational exhibits, and on the other side  there is a large green dinosaur and a Minecraft cow.

On the rise behind the dinosaur is an art exhibit by a Japanese artist Yanamizuki (Yana). Her gallery and her blog feature scenes from Second Life. None of the art appeared to be for sale, but there are two free calendars on the outside front of the gallery enclosure.

Down the road, beyond the rocky parcel surround,  is a very modern house that looks like it is in a sea of liquid mercury. At night settings the top of their surround has rainbow lights. While I usually hate parcel  surrounds this one is very lovely at night.

Where was I? (Just Region name is fine)

By the way, the map seems to be coming back! Yeah!

freeballoonride.jpg

insidethegallery.jpg

Edited by Rufferta
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Rufferta said:

This is not a permanent landmark, but I thought it was worth seeing. It is in Gaeta V.

On both sides of the Linden road there is a nonprofit organization dedicated (as far as I can understand) to saving the atmosphere. On one side is their building and educational exhibits, and on the other side  there is a large green dinosaur and a Minecraft cow.

On the rise behind the dinosaur is an art exhibit by a Japanese artist Yanamizuki (Yana). Her gallery and her blog feature scenes from Second Life. None of the art appeared to be for sale, but there are two free calendars on the outside front of the gallery enclosure.

Down the road, beyond the rocky parcel surround,  is a very modern house that looks like it is in a sea of liquid mercury. At night settings the top of their surround has rainbow lights. While I usually hate parcel  surrounds this one is very lovely at night.

Where was I? (Just Region name is fine)

By the way, the map seems to be coming back! Yeah!

freeballoonride.jpg

insidethegallery.jpg

Fascinating place, in Geoffroy 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Geoffroy/119/66/23

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

Whilst looking for a location on this thread earlier I stumbled across something I thought had been lost, the location for CORE, Cult of Ruth Eternal. A Monumental scale reproduction of Philip Linden's pants, a Hippo for meditation and some gifts. Originally in Tilsit but for the last 12 years elsewhere..

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Cult_of_Ruth_Eternal

Snapshot_120.thumb.jpg.04a955aa8ebe8aad7f476b4a84f1dcd5.jpg

Snapshot_119.thumb.jpg.ccef9a63286baf7b6470728f13a729cd.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Whilst looking for a location on this thread earlier I stumbled across something I thought had been lost, the location for CORE, Cult of Ruth Eternal. A Monumental scale reproduction of Philip Linden's pants, a Hippo for meditation and some gifts. Originally in Tilsit but for the last 12 years elsewhere..

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Cult_of_Ruth_Eternal

Snapshot_120.thumb.jpg.04a955aa8ebe8aad7f476b4a84f1dcd5.jpg

Snapshot_119.thumb.jpg.ccef9a63286baf7b6470728f13a729cd.jpg

This is in Hina 55/206/36. Beware Philip's Pants.

cultofrutheternal.jpg

• Like 2

On  Fox Chase Hill

Do you dare climb here,

derender shielding trees

to wake the dragon?

(This site found on a list of Bellisseria landmarks made by Jon Ree and distributed by Gingir Ghoststar, Founder of the Bellisseria Citizens Group)

dragon'seye2?.jpg

Edited by Rufferta
spelling, as usual, then scanning
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 6:18 PM, Rufferta said:

On  Fox Chase Hill

Do you dare climb here,

derender shielding trees

to wake the dragon?

(This site found on a list of Bellisseria landmarks made by Jon Ree and distributed by Gingir Ghoststar, Founder of the Bellisseria Citizens Group)

dragon'seye2?.jpg

A bit surprised no one else got it...

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fox Chase/41/242/89

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I have stopped for a drink at the Coffee Scene, but where am I? (Michael Linden build)

Snapshot_121.thumb.jpg.5f9618b2a3eda678afba39f4e181b0e4.jpg

That is the Teen Grid Transfer Station in Baffin. (79/59/38, although it is hard to miss). It still seems contemporary.

• Like 3

I used to live on a small parcel near the edge of the Snowlands in Sansara.  I remembered that one of the neighbors had alien space vehicles on his land. I went back to see if they were still there, and they have evolved, gotten bigger, and are attacking a long-established building products store! Where am I?

datsbugs.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, Rufferta said:

I used to live on a small parcel near the edge of the Snowlands in Sansara.  I remembered that one of the neighbors had alien space vehicles on his land. I went back to see if they were still there, and they have evolved, gotten bigger, and are attacking a long-established building products store! Where am I?

datsbugs.jpg

Clue: I went back to take another photo and decided not to, since the map has been fixed, the space bugs are so big that they show up on the map!

• Like 1