WTH is .....

Aethelwine

On 4/6/2021 at 10:50 PM, Yuumo Ichibara said:

Reposting my snaps from the landscape photographs thread.

Clue: Same continent (Sansara)

I will have a search later but looking at the photos closely it looks like you are on the edge of the snowlands (or other mountainous area), and either by a lake or an edge of the map. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

either by a lake or an edge of the map. 

You are correct that it is on the edge overlooking void sea, and to give another hint, it is not too far from that wooden bridge in Bear. They are two regions that have been bought and transformed into whimsical Scottish highlands by the magic of a most lovely family. People refuse to believe me when I say those photos were taken in mainland until I offer them a TP.

Edited by Yuumo Ichibara
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

You are correct that it is on the edge overlooking void sea, and to give another hint, it is not too far from that wooden bridge in Bear. They are two regions that have been bought and transformed into whimsical Scottish highlands by the magic of a most lovely family. People refuse to believe me when I say those photos were taken in mainland until I offer them a TP.

It is Moorcroft - Kintsugi Estate & Stables, in Gulquac and an amazing and stunningly beautiful area.

This URL is the Gazebo, and there is plenty there to explore...

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gulquac/210/147/39

The road from Bear over the bridge leads straight to it

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maquapit/248/167/55

Thank you for sharing

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a nice old Eric Linden bridge from Feb 2005, to the right the Steampunky, Jules Verney sort of thing protruding from the water is a part of a private owned museum that is worth a visit.  

Snapshot_108.thumb.jpg.96313bfafe3992467c6f4a36d2ede2ba.jpg

I originally came to the region hunting for a little railway, it is now just track and a switch in this region now unfortunately 

Snapshot_109.thumb.jpg.b11f4c435e635b627b9b9e3d7e207bac.jpg

Where am I?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

This is a nice old Eric Linden bridge from Feb 2005, to the right the Steampunky, Jules Verney sort of thing protruding from the water is a part of a private owned museum that is worth a visit.  

Snapshot_108.thumb.jpg.96313bfafe3992467c6f4a36d2ede2ba.jpg

I originally came to the region hunting for a little railway, it is now just track and a switch in this region now unfortunately 

Snapshot_109.thumb.jpg.b11f4c435e635b627b9b9e3d7e207bac.jpg

Where am I?

After looking at bridges on multiple continents, I thought to put "Jules Verne" into Content Search...This is the lovely bridge in Lily, 252/151/62.

• Like 3

This is an island off Sansara with interactive exhibits related to earth science. If you want to test yourself, there is a small shed near the entrance where you can pick up a quiz to see what you've learned after your visit. I especially enjoyed the earthquake and the inside of the volcano. Where am I? 

raymaker bowness field studies.jpg

• Like 4

OK, here's a place that's a bit of a puzzler to me (as to what is going on here). This large parcel appears to have been a public park at some point, with gardens, waterfalls, books for sale, etc. I assume something happened to the original owner, because although the build is still there, the owner of the land is a Linden... but that's not the puzzling part. This is: the parcel is closed off by ban lines.

Anyway, a bit of a mystery, but where am I?

Snapshot_001.jpg

Snapshot_003.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Plebeja/152/130/134

It's NOT owned by LDPW.  It's owned by Whitney Linden, who is the only one that has access to the land.  At the base of the mountain is a notecard- giver;  Here's the first part of that the notecard-giver says:  "

WELCOME TO SIMPLE'S MOUNTAIN RETREAT @ PLEBEJA􀀁
􀀂=================================

My name is . (Please excuse my bad english, it is not my mother tongue). This is my home and residence, but it is also a free and public place (a quantum of tranquility and peace in this hyperactive world), so please be nice to all residents you may meet here ;) Enjoy your time and send me your pictures."

1568754358_SylviasGreatLandMystery.thumb.png.03085261abe733fa87716f87b4cbcf2d.png

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

OK, here's a place that's a bit of a puzzler to me (as to what is going on here). This large parcel appears to have been a public park at some point, with gardens, waterfalls, books for sale, etc. I assume something happened to the original owner, because although the build is still there, the owner of the land is a Linden... but that's not the puzzling part. This is: the parcel is closed off by ban lines.

Anyway, a bit of a mystery, but where am I?

The banlines surprised me, so I went to have a look, the Parcel now has this message: 

"WILL BE ABANDONED END OF MARCH - 
VISIT NOW OR NEVER MORE ;)

A long walk on the steepest mountainside in SL mainland. Explore the gardens, the waterfalls, the view from the top. Free Hanggliding! Some freebies. "

Simple's Zoo in Lythria (featured earlier in this thread) has banlines up and owned by Whitney Linden too.

I wonder if they are considering saving them? they are lovely places but it must make for a difficult decision. I expect in a few months the locations will be up for auction.

Rather sad that they look like they will be lost.. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

The banlines surprised me, so I went to have a look, the Parcel now has this message: 

A long walk on the steepest mountainside in SL mainland. Explore the gardens, the waterfalls, the view from the top. Free Hanggliding! Some freebies. "

Simple's Zoo in Lythria (featured earlier in this thread) has banlines up and owned by Whitney Linden too.

I wonder if they are considering saving them? they are lovely places but it must make for a difficult decision. I expect in a few months the locations will be up for auction.

The parcel, on Plebeja, had the warning about being "...abandoned in March"  long before March 2020. We had been there after then and it was still open. Sad that both sites are closed 😞

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Did you notice the date that the parcel ownership changed? I'm not in world now, but I think it was 2013 or 2015... anyway, several years ago at least. I did see the parcel info that you quoted, but couldn't really put it all together to make a sensible theory as to what is going on with the parcel, and I'd forgotten (or not seen) that the same situation existed in the Lythria parcel. 

I wonder *which* March it's referencing? My best guess is that it was the year that ownership changed, but at any rate, the ban lines remain a mystery... 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

You can find some great views by the Great Wall, but WHERE on the Great Wall am I this time?

1927037490_GreatWall_001.thumb.png.50e74370de1579d992c5e03b5b4b9977.png

1042531288_GreatWall_003.thumb.png.a81bf4881c609c50c252f3d626d0e53c.png

I think this is in Spini, on the East side of the Great Wall.  The 'horned' top wall structure is at 41/147/152. 

• Like 3

I am admiring the moonbeams in a public/private reproduction of Stonehenge in Corsica. It is in a community with many other attractions, and was part of one of Yukiko Yeshto's Mainland Tours. Where Am I?

stonehenge.jpg

Edited by Rufferta
My apologies, Yukiko, for misspelling your name.
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

I am admiring the moonbeams in a public/private reproduction of Stonehenge in Corsica. It is in a community with many other attractions, and was part of one of Yushiko Yeshto's Mainland Tours. Where Am I?

stonehenge.jpg

I think you are at Larkville at Campbell Coast http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Laserlight/61/19/66

Snapshot_001.png

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Here is another "Linden mystery" spot. If you try to TP onto the Linden road, it turns out there is a set landing point... under the water! Where am I?

Snapshot_002.png

Snapshot_001.png

That IS weird!. I tried to teleport to Yucca, 17,221,30, and ended up in the water. Walking along the bridge you are not affected, but if you are in the water and try to teleport back to the bridge you can't. 

If this had happened to me when I was doing solo exploring, I would have figured it was my mistake, but I guess it is 'a feature' - sort of our own Second Life Bermuda Triangle?

Just for reference, I'm wearing an off-the-rack avatar with no extra animations or objects except my "Where the heck am I?" bracelet.

Edited by Rufferta
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

That IS weird!. I tried to teleport to Yucca, 17,221,30, and ended up in the water. Walking along the bridge you are not affected, but if you are in the water and try to teleport back to the bridge you can't. 

I have gone back a couple of times since I first came across it, just because I can't figure out the point of tossing us into the water. lol

• Like 2