Permissions on Items in Contents Change When Item Given

GManB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hopefully this will be obvious and quick. I have an object which contains objects, script, and notecards. The contained objects have scripts as well. On of the contained objects is a HUD. When I gave my customer a drop of a beta version of the containing object he was not able to get the HUD to attach. The error message was, "No Permission to Transfer". I went through and added permissions to everything ending up with full permissions. Error persisted. We checked my version of the containing object and the permissions on each contained item. All full perms. But after giving him the containing object we checked the permissions after rezzing it and they were randomly changed. Some items no-copy, others no-copy and no-transfer, etc.

Note when I give the containing object to my two alts everything is fine. But for other randomly chosen friends the permissions also get changed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
G

• 2 weeks later...

First, make certain your alts can't edit your stuff (when checking permissions), because that may or may not work on transferred items depending on a few other factors. 

Let's try a simple example and see if this fits your problem. I use this as it's the most common cause of frustration I see people encounter while learning the fine art of permissions and it usually solves the problem. Full disclosure here: I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, I do deal with permissions changes on a daily basis for whatever it's worth. YMMV 

In this example we'll place some textures, scripts, notecards, sounds and objects within a simple box to sell or transfer, using copy only permissions for the example.  Once the box is filled, it is common for people to click COPY on the 1st page of the edit window, then move on to the contents tab, click permissions to COPY for the next person, change the permissions & done.  By all outward & cursory appearances it does seem to you, and possibly your alts, that everything within is now copy only. 

However, looking at each item inside that box, checking the properties on each one separately you might find that the permissions are mixed between copy, mod, transfer, full perm or combinations thereof. Tedious as it might sound depending on how many items are involved, setting the permissions separately on each item and everything within each item should ensure the permissions are as you want them.

Then, check, double check, triple check...you get the idea. 

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, RoxyCyn said:

First, make certain your alts can't edit your stuff (when checking permissions), because that may or may not work on transferred items depending on a few other factors. 

Let's try a simple example and see if this fits your problem. I use this as it's the most common cause of frustration I see people encounter while learning the fine art of permissions and it usually solves the problem. Full disclosure here: I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, I do deal with permissions changes on a daily basis for whatever it's worth. YMMV 

In this example we'll place some textures, scripts, notecards, sounds and objects within a simple box to sell or transfer, using copy only permissions for the example.  Once the box is filled, it is common for people to click COPY on the 1st page of the edit window, then move on to the contents tab, click permissions to COPY for the next person, change the permissions & done.  By all outward & cursory appearances it does seem to you, and possibly your alts, that everything within is now copy only. 

However, looking at each item inside that box, checking the properties on each one separately you might find that the permissions are mixed between copy, mod, transfer, full perm or combinations thereof. Tedious as it might sound depending on how many items are involved, setting the permissions separately on each item and everything within each item should ensure the permissions are as you want them.

Then, check, double check, triple check...you get the idea. 

Good luck.

Thanks so much RoxyCyn!

I ended up doing pretty much as you describe. And, yes, what was causing the problem was that a script within an object, a hud, in the contents of the main object wasn't set properly. The hud wasn't able to attach to an avatar playing the game because of the script in it wasn't set properly. Actually, I don't know what it should be only that it works will full perms on that script. Since I'm creating this game for someone else to put on the MP I will give it to him all full perms anyway so it's not a problem. But, it would be good to know the minimum permissions a script in a hud needs to attach to any avatar. 

Finally, it's good to know from your note that just checking everything is about the best we can do!

Cheers,

G

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.