Unable to decode the file storing your credentials

Sonia Yeu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So,

I got a brand new PC with Windows 10. I made all the needed system updates, yesterday.

Today I installed Firestorm (x64, 6.4.12.62831). I logged in with my username and password, after checking the "Remember" box.

I went inworld and checked how it was running, making little changes to my Preferences. I set Backup/Restore Settings path to an USB key folder where I had my settings saved. I asked Firestorm to restore my settings and it replied of course it had to be restarted. Ok. Then it restarted, and displayed this message:

"We were unable to decode the file storing your saved login credentials. At this point saving or deleting credentials will erase all those that were previously stored.

This may happen when you change network setup. Restarting the viewer with previous network configuration may help recovering your saved login credentials."

What should I do now?? Nothing was changed, nothing about Windows, nothing about network setup... it is the very first Firestorm installation on that brand new PC.

The viewer encodes your password with the hardware ID of the machine the viewer is on. Even some Window updates can change the hardware ID so it's not just changing computers that will generate that message. It's a silly setup imo but has been relevant for years and many have complained about it so not likely they going to change how the viewer encodes the passwords.

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The viewer encodes your password with the hardware ID of the machine the viewer is on. Even some Window updates can change the hardware ID so it's not just changing computers that will generate that message. It's a silly setup imo but has been relevant for years and many have complained about it so not likely they going to change how the viewer encodes the passwords.

Thank you Arielle.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.